“Not worth the money!”

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Let me start by complimenting the staff, who were all accommodating and professional, as one would expect from a place of this reputation. I was, however, quite disappointed in the room. It was located at the extreme end of a very long corridor (with little waves in it) and the view was far from what I was expecting (mostly a roof below us and a wall taking up most of the left side). About a third of the view looked out on a piece of an inlet (no ocean at all).
The carpet had a big stain on it, the bathroom was rather cramped, especially in the way the door opened almost up against the toilet. The television had no real features, such as pause, fast-forward or reverse, and a very mediocre channal selection. The temperature control was pretty noisy for this level of accommodation.
The king-size bed was quite comfortable and, of course, spacious, and the room was a decent size.
Out first night there (out of three) we ate dinner at the hotel and were very disappointed. I ordered the tenderloin, cooked medium, It was edible but neither tender nor medium (way overdone). When I was asked how everything was I told the man how I ranked the meal and was offered a free desert as compensation which I declined). My wife's pork chop was apparently OK because she had no complaints about her meal, and she is usually fussier than I. Needless to say, we did not eat there again.
My wife's spa treatment was outstanding, according to her, so the stay was not all below expectations, but for the price of the room, dinner, etc. I was far from impressed and would not go back at those prices.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
WentworthByTheSea, General Manager at Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your previous stay with us at Wentworth by the Sea. We understand that you were disappointed in the view and that the restaurant experience was not up to par. We will be reviewing your feedback with our team as it is valuable in providing better experiences to our guests. We do hope that we have an opportunity to make this up to you in the future.

Best regards,
Michael O'Shaughnessy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Round Pond, Maine
Reviewed April 16, 2014

outstanding hotel and restaurant , have stayed here a couple of time just fantastic. great location on the ocean to walk and sightsee. spa treatments are top notch highly recommend, If your looking for a relaxing weekend not to far from home good place to start

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This hotel is well appointed without being stuffy. I've stayed with my family a couple of times here. THe staff is lovely, especially in the restaurant. The building is warm and comforting and the pool and exercise room more than adequate. I would highly recommend this place for a relaxing get away or small family gathering.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an ocean view, the view to Goat Island is perhaps nicer.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank cambridgelass60890
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for the last weekend in March. We had a king suite 423 really quiet and 2 full baths. The bedroom is between the 2 baths insulating the hall noise. Ate in the renovated restaurant Salt. The food was good but the dining room can get very loud. Don't sit under the domed ceiling it's even louder. I personally liked the old restaurant before the renovation. The bar is nice but not to much in the way of good old bar menu.
Have stayed many times in the past and will in the future.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rich S
Montague, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I checked into Wentworth Ny The Sea for a quick getaway weekend. It is hard to imagine a better place to unwind. The room was well appointed and extremely comfortable. It was bitterly cold so we opted to stay in and eat in at Salt. The meals were uniformly pleasant; the charcuterie was fantastic. There have been a number of somewhat mixed reviews of the restaurant bringing up issues such as ambiance, service and acoustics. I'm inclined to think that since the restaurant was recently remodeled the mixed reviews are from people that had an expectation of what the place had formerly been like. I found the space relaxing, enjoyable and the service excellent. Taking a seat at the end of the bar, which is effectively a chef's table, made for a wonderful Saturday evening meal.

We will be back whenever work and family life becomes too grinding and a mini-vacation is in order.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
New England
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was looking for a quiet night in a luxury hotel. A busy business week had passed. When requesting a quiet room, the Front Desk staff went right to work. I was give an end-facing room on the top floor. I could see the might Atlantic Ocean from my window. The bath? An elegant bear-claw tub and a walk-in shower. Most of the quests seemed to also be there for peace and quiet. The pool was nice, yet needs better ventilation. I tried to read the Wall Street Journal pool side, yet the stuffy air in the enclosed pool area made me go back to my room.

Mary, Guest Services Navigator, was very helpful. She is well-versed about the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor for peace and quiet.
Green Features: Towels changed when requested. So too are the bed linens. Heavy glass cups in the room. Not plastic throw-aways.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Woopiedo
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 26, 2014

love this resort. been going since it opened. after staying in all of the different styled rooms in the main hotel, we started staying in the marina suites when they opened and have never looked back. great location,great food,great rooms,the best staff. they will literally bring you anything that you can think of to your suite. just 20 steps to the private pool and all of the towels you can handle. full service suites with full kitchens and 1 1/2 baths. just fabulous and worth the expense.

Room Tip: get the poolside suites
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!