“Great property in all seasons”

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great property in all seasons”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We spent the night before thanksgiving at the hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated and we had a view of the water which was great. The bathrooms have heated floors and beautiful tile. It was not busy for the hotel that night so it was quiet. If someone is talking loudly in the hallways, it can be heard in the room. My husband used the indoor pool at 10pm that night and it was empty. It did appear that the families used the pool earlier in the night.
All the staff were friendly. I would recommend staying here even in the off season as the property, staff and food are all first class. Do have dinner in the newly renovated salt restaurant. The drinks and food were excellent. Again I can't say enough about the staff. Relaxing time.....
FYI the outdoor pool is being revamped for the spring.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed a Saturday night for our anniversary. We had booked a suite. I had previously called to confirm our room had a soaking tub (we don't have one and I miss ours!). I was told our room did, upon arriving in our room it had 2 showers. My husband and I debated calling to the front desk or just staying put. We decided to call and so glad we did! The staff was more than apologetic and had us stay in one of the marina townhouses. They are beautiful with spectacular views.
The concierge, Mary Carey, drove us into Portsmouth to where we had dinner reservations. She was such a delight sharing town history and came into the restaurant with us to introduce us to the staff that all adored her.
The breakfast the next morning was unbelievable! My husband and I days later are still talking about it. Salt (the restaurant) room is gorgeous. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This historic hotel used to be a great place to go and enjoy this beautiful property. We just returned from spending two nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. We were not aware that the hotel now charges an automatic 20% gratuity to all food and drink - even on the $3.00 coffee you pour yourself. The service is not nearly worthy of a 20% tip - the wait staff is very badly trained. We spent every dinner chasing down our server trying to get drinks, food for our group. Three times the server brought the wrong bottle of wine - three times! And then we were forced to give her a 20% tip - on a $700 bill. Two of the rooms in our party were not provided clean towels, etc. Too expensive for really bad service. We will never go back and I would not recommend this place to anyone! Marriott should not be proud to have this property in their group - nor should the Historic Hotels of America.

Room Tip: Water view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Elizabeth K
Worcester, MA
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Wonderful Thanksgiving break. Our room (431) was spacious, with a great water view and parts of Portsmouth. The bathroom ran the length of the room, and was wide enough for the two of us to be there at the same time. The HVAC system was quiet and efficient (I obsess about this).
The hotel was quiet busy over the holiday, but the staff did a wonderful job of keeping up with demands. There is a separate review of the restaurant, where we had breakfast, lunch and dinner, but we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and service.
Would love to see what it is like when the temp isn’t well below freezing.

Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

As Platinum Marriott members, this was our first trip to this part of NH and when we arrived at our Room 601, the Presidental Suite, we were blown away by the view from both levels, especially the winding staircase to the highest point of the hotel, the middle of three towers which was unlike any other hotel we've been to. When you open the door, we had to go up two fights of stairs to get up to one of the towers viewed from the front of the hotel. Really cool. The two rooms 501 & 601 would also be great for parties or larger families, honeymoon room, and definitely a romantic get away like we did.

You'll not be disappointed with the picturesque maritime landscape and beautiful sunsets each night.

While here, we also enjoyed the pool. Hot tub was hot. Jets were strong. We were lovin it.

Tomorrow breakfast and dinner at SALT. Will review that tomorrow, but I know both are going to be out of this world.

I would love to come back when warmer outside. The gold course next door looks out of this world. 1/2 on ocean & 1/2 trees. Private and for marriott guests. I've played samoset in Maine, and this is similar to the day that are on ocean but with a slightly different layout. Of you like Samoset for golf, then you'll love this place for golf.

This hotel would be great for weddings, conferences and family get togethers. Also great for couples. In this case we left kids with grandma and grandpa and enjoyed walking everywhere to soak in the local lighthouses, parks, Portsmouth, kitterry outlets...wherever we go we always find a lot to see.

Id definitely recommend this hotel and would also make an effort to come back. We rarely return to a place once we've been there, but I would return here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Recently brought my Mum here for a couple-night spa retreat. I've stayed/eaten here before, but this was the first time to take advantage of spa facilities. Very much off-season time in mid-November so everything was comfortable, unhurried and enjoyable. Mum had a full massage and I had a facial; both receive high marks. We had the large indoor pool all to ourselves. Only found out about the outdoor jacuzzi exclusive to spa guests after the fact, so missed out on that.
We had a charming room on the 4th (top) floor. Funky ceiling angles due to its location. The closet was a riot: under an eave so the rod was waist-high; good thing we didn't bring dresses! The room faced East with incredible view towards ocean. After ordering coffee from room service the first morning we discovered a coffee maker in a cupboard, so be sure to look for that first! The bathroom was perfectly adequate but don't expect high-end features such as fancy tub/shower, ceiling heater, etc. There was no ventilation fan in the bathroom and I wonder if that has to do with its top-floor location. The Wentworth is an old, historic property, and I expect it's tough to deal with duct work and such.
Wonderful food and cocktails at Salt.
Nearby Portsmouth is a wonderful town to explore on foot. Many pre-Revolutionary War buildings.

I think the best thing about the Wentworth is the staff. From valet parking to room attendants, each and every employee treated us with eye contact, a smile and a greeting. It's clear the management takes the highest level of service seriously. Go to the Wentworth with a package to include dining and/or spa. The various individual charges could shock you and add up very quickly!

Room Tip: Ocean View is definitely preferable
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maine-ah
western mass
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have stayed at the Wentworth many times over the years and it is usually the hotel we choose when we are in the Portsmouth NH area. I usually wait for promotions or discounts to book and usually go off season so it isn't so expensive. I just love staying here as it feels so welcoming and warm to me. It's not perfect, but what place is?
We stayed here for 2 nights in late May and 2 nights just before Thanksgiving.
Our room was ocean view and very comfortable. My complaint about the room would be we could clearly hear the person talking in the room next to us. And I mean, without trying, hearing every word of his phone conversation. Fortunately, the room was unoccupied the 2nd night.
We were going to eat at Salt, but decided to eat in downtown Portsmouth instead - a quick drive of 10 minutes. We did have the breakfast buffet each morning and thought it was excellent and well worth the $16.pp. We got this room/breakfast buffet pkg deal because the hotel could not accommodate us in booking a room for 15% off due to the construction going on during our visit in May. The rooms division manager considerately offered us the breakfast buffet each morning and changed the room rate to the same rate for both nights. We were happy with this accommodation.
We also enjoyed returning from Portsmouth in the evening and being able to sit in the bar area and enjoy a drink in a lovely atmosphere.
We have never used the spa facilities so can't comment on that, but the spa packages do seem popular.
This Grand Dame of hotels has withstood the test of time and various ownerships and, I think, is worth a visit. The staff are well trained and truly want to make your visit memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!