“Pricey, but full of charm and character”

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Pricey, but full of charm and character”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I attended a company function at this facility, including staying at the hotel, eating in the restaurant, and using the conference room facilities. This facility offers plenty of New England charm, with friendly staff, and excellent food. I had a corner room on the 4th floor with incredible views. My room had a bank of windows on two walls, offering panoramic views of the river and natural lands. The food in the dining room was very good. The hotel is very close to Portsmouth, which is worth the short drive to check out. As good as this hotel is, I would probably not bring the family here due to the cost. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, which my company was kind enough to pay for.

Room Tip: Corner rooms may have windows on two walls.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Spent a few days at this resort for a business conference and they are not equipped to deal with it. Check in was with a disinterested and shabby young woman with chipped nail polish. During our sessions, staff wandered in and out of the meeting rooms with no apology. Had to ask them more than three times in one session to stop sorting cutlery in an ante room whilst we tried to run a presentation. I had to ask to move room three times as the room views were of rooftop vents and heating systems. Back and forth. Several times when i went to reception, people were checking in and being told they hadn't booked what they said they had. Then 'on checking' the guest was proved right. Limited availability of concierge services. Apparently this is where everyone gets married and we witnessed several weddings. it was intriguing to see that some people think getting married in an arbor by the front pull in of a hotel is romantic. The number of weddings is a real issue for those with rooms above the function rooms who had to listen to the music till very late.

This is a popular hotel with a great pool and a lovely location. It seriously lacks any presence of senior experienced hotel management who can show the staff how to speak and behave with guests and run a well organised hotel.

The room CH didnt work all the trip but as it was a conference, I decided not to ask for it to be looked into, given the change of rooms already experienced.

However, in closing, I have to say the food in the main restaurant was to die for, and I had one of the very best meals of my life - scallops, pasta, peas and a light sauce. Americans really know how to use great ingredients in wonderful combinations. Pity the waitress went off duty after taking our order and was not seen again, so we had to chase up the staff to get our meal and our wine. Again staffing organisation seems to be an issue here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I were guests at this property in September of 2012. I had mixed feelings at the time....I wanted so much to LOVE it, but I couldn't. This year, we were supposed to be there for 3 nights...when my husband realized I didn't have to be at work until the weekend, he booked us for a longer stay....which required a couple of moves, but was well worth it!!!! We started out at one of the marina suites..WHAT AN INCREDIBLE experience! Our room was not ready, but we were treated to a drink at the bar and 20 minutes later we were in our suite! The pool and marina were right outside our door. The full kitchen and washer and dryer were a surprise. Upstairs, our bedroom and huge (2 person jacuzzi tub and marbled/glass shower) were wonderful. The pool really could use its own bar...the staff has to trudge up an down lengthy staircase to service this area. I loved being in the marina suites and believe that this is where we will book next time we visit! Their main restaurant has undergone a huge renovation! Much more open/welcoming and best of all, updated menu! We enjoyed our dinner at SALT...our last morning I had a very enjoyable and reasonably priced breakfast, also). We had to leave for one night (husband had a meeting at home...1.5 hours away). We returned that night and stayed in Portsmouth (don't bother to stay at the Sheraton...huge disappointment and waste of money)...upon our return, we were ushered into a 2BR marina suite (that's 2 master suites!)...The next day we were moved to the main hotel (where we stayed last time) into a King Suite (2 full baths, separate living room and BR). I look forward to returning next year (maybe sooner?)...Wonderful staff, beautiful setting. An oasis, 1.5 hours from home; pricey but worth it. I hope they are able to continue to improve upon this gem!

Oh, I cannot believe that someone actually said it was a long walk to the pool! I think they should stay in a motor inn with the little rooms around a pool and leave the resort experience to others!

Room Tip: We've stayed in a King Suite in the main hotel and the Marina Suites. I would highly recommend...
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This historic property on the island of New Castle on the Maine coast is perfect for an all-out luxury getaway, event (a lovely wedding took place when we were there), or small conference, especially if you're coming by boat. The marina is worth the visit even if you're a landlubber. Standard room is cozy, but well appointed. The restaurant is absolutely first-class--we ate on the deck during our summer getaway. The grounds are magnificently designed and maintained. We're not golfers, but the course looked delightful as we drove by. Not for the budget-minded.

1 Thank Lenthetraveler
Rockland, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This 3 day getaway was perfect, even the water is delicious. The pool staff is attentive and polite. The pool menu has some healthy choices. SALT is the new restaurant, comfortable seats and wonderfully prepared fresh food. It is pricey but worth every penny.
The property is somewhat hilly so difficult to maneuver for any person handicapped, a golf cart would help to move guests around in this environment.

Room Tip: Water view incredible.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Fantastic location. Rooms are big, clean and upscale. Beautiful views of the bay. Nice restaurant with outdoor tables for a relaxing meal. Guests can take advantage of access to the private golf course. Hotel is 15 minutes from downtown Portsmouth.

• Stayed August 2013
Berlin, Connecticut
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked this as a last minute getaway for my family before school starts, it was a little pricey but I figured it was worth it for the amenities. My kids loved both pools and wanted to spend all thier time there, the room was very nice, with a small balcony, the hotel itself is stunning, and the grounds emaculate, very nice gardens, the front desk was always smiling and plesant, the restaurants are not great, but there are many places to eat around the area, try Golden egg for breakfast. My family had a great time at the Wentworth, my kids want to go back already.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!