Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Took my daughters ages 17and11 for a 3 day get away. We all had the best time at Wentworth by the Sea. The hotel was beautiful and the food at the newly opened Salt was outstanding. As was the food at the pool where we spent a lot of our time given the heat wave. Portsmouth was just a short drive away and the shopping was fun with so many unique shops. We already have plans to stay next year.

Room Tip: Loved the king suite with two bathrooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed just one night for a quick get away. Beautiful hotel, very elegant renovation of a very special property from days gone by. Very nice rooms, excellent staff . Everything right down to the greeting from the doorman was warm and friendly. Great outdoor pool with poolside cocktails and very nice food selection. Will go back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I took the kids to this beautiful coastal hotel in July. It was our third trip to Wentworth and it is still very enjoyable. We stayed in the Marina Suites last year and that was great but the kids wanted to stay in the main hotel on this trip. It was the right decision because it was rainy both days we were there so the kids enjoyed the beautiful indoor pool. We stayed in the Commander's Suite on the 4th floor of the hotel. The hotel has three turret suites and ours was the one on the western part of the hotel. The room was handsome with a bedroom on the lower floor and a spacious living room on the upper floor accessed by a spiral staircase. The room was comfortable and well appointed. I would stay in that suite again. Service was excellent and the staff seemed to enjoy working there. We had dinner at Salt Kitchen Bar, the hotel restaurant, on one of the nights we were there and it was excellent. Salt Kitchen Bar, in my opinion, is a stylish improvement over what it replaced. The stodgy vibe is gone replaced by an energetic more youthful vibe which was an improvement that had to be made. I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Wentworth this year. I love going to new places I have never been before. However, there are a few places that I really look forward to returning to and Wentworth is one of them. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank saint22
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Took a mini vacation, so i wanted a hotel the wife would enjoy and no hassles. She always wanted to stay there, so I booked 3 nights. 2) @ $356. (Fri & Sat) and 1 @ $288. (sun) + taxes. We got a room by the elevator, right next to the ice machine (236). Noisy and the bathroom was small with the toilet so close to the door, it was difficult to use. The room was clean, but no refrigerator and no microwave. Our view was of the roof over the entry, so we had no view. What really pissed me off was I went for coffee the 1st morning to find out you must pay for it! $5.50 for 2 cups. AMAZING.. charging over $350 a night and you must buy coffee?? Being next to the elevator, we were woken up every night by people yelling and carrying on... The air conditioner unit in the room was loud and disturbing. I would never ever stay there again. I am so upset I'm really thinking about telling Marriott to stuff my awards program membership. Totally not worth staying there. Overpriced in every way.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bill s
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very beautiful historical hotel but gone is the warm, clubby Roosevelt Lounge and in its place is a totally out of place SALT Restaurant & Bar with its white leather furniture...... stood out like a sore thumb in this old white clapboard hotel. I almost felt cheated. Other than that, the rooms were decent and the other restaurant Lattitudes had great views. I recommend driving into Portsmouth for dinner, great town with lots of restaurants & shopping. Also take a drive down to Rye Beach. Have lunch at Petey's and the Carriage House for dinner is a must (make reservations). There's also a nice deli on the circle where you can grab sandwiches if you want to pick something up before heading down to Rye Beach. If you golf, the private course (while pricey) is very nice (but tight).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ColCat86
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We just finished a 5 day stay at the wonderful Marriott Wentworth. It was a very memorable visit primarily because we got the right room (3rd floor facing the ocean - king bed). This was due to the intervention of the Front Desk Manager Kati who had corresponded with me in advance of the visit, as a Marriott Platinum member. Upon checking in, the bellman quickly unloaded all of our luggage, while I checked in. Unfortunately, the person who checked me in was a trainee who proceeded to assign us a room with two double beds, not facing the ocean even though my Marriott profile clearly states "guaranteed king bed". So the bellman called downstairs and over the phone got us reassigned to a 4th floor king bed, but when we walked in and saw that it was tiny,tiny (and not facing the ocean), I told the poor bellman that it was unacceptable as well. Enter Kati who, in a matter of seconds found us a great room with King bed facing the ocean. That fantastic room overlooking the marina made our entire visit! And the bellman got a big tip!

Everything about the rest of the stay was great but for the fact that housekeeping should vacuum every day, and mop the bathroom floor every day as well. We had solid evidence in both cases of not doing so. Concierge Lounge is great, with wonderful staff and decent food (although the morning eggs get dry and hard pretty quickly). The Fitness Room has new equipment and was never full in my experience, at different times of day. The outdoor pool area is fantastic. We never had a problem getting a lounge chair even on the busiest day. And we never had a problem with in close parking except the last night, so we did the $5 valet. And love that free wifi in the rooms!

All in all, a great visit, very memorable thanks to one great Marriott Wentworth staff professional.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mshbnyehud
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent a few days at the Wentworth over the 4th. of July. We encountered a really unpleasant experience because of barking dogs in close proximity to our room. One dog started barking and then another dog in a room close by joined in. The staff tried to find the owners but apparently they were out for the day.
We went to dinner that evening only to return to one of the dogs still barking. I have stayed in other hotels that allow dogs but never experienced such a lack of control on the part of management to remedy the situation.
Apparently, owners are not supposed to leave their dogs in the rooms alone but it seems the Wentworth does little to enforce this policy. I would think twice before booking there again. It really put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: Before you check into your room...ask about any dogs staying at the hotel....make sure you are a saf...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!