Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Courtyard Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
$184
$169
$163
Howard Johnson Portsmouth(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$101
$109
$106
$140
BestWestern.com
1,564 results
All reviewsgrand hotelbeautiful historic hotelthe main hotelthe concierge loungethe main dining roomwater viewcorner roomnew englandbreakfast buffetindoor poollobster rollsalt restaurantfront desk managermarina suitehot tubromantic getawayheated floors
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We loved our stay. The Hotel premises were impeccable. Considering what you get for your money in Hampton, it is worth the few extra miles and bucks. The pools are very nice. The tennis court is brand new and you can even play on clay at the country club. For the cyclist in you the hotel staff will event take your bike at the door and store it for you.

Finally we really enjoyed having our coffee early in the morning on the huge veranda.

We will definitely return and take a break from the overpriced and less than desirable accommodation in Hampton B.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

For our 10 year anniversary celebration we decided to go all out and go to a resort. We chose Newcastle for a number of reasons but partly because I loved looking at that old run down hotel as a kid and hoped it would get restored someday. I wanted to walk its halls. They did a really nice job restoring it. The common areas are beautiful and so is the setting but I am not too keen on the management. As we tried to check in someone was angrily talking to a manager to get a better room. They moved them up one floor. Suddenly our room was no longer ready and we had to come back in an hour. They promised to call us when our room was ready. They didn't. Finally, we decided to come back on our own after about 2 hours. When we did ... yep you guessed it we were given the room that the other person had refused (my wife remembered the number). It also placed us on the floor we didn't want. Not worth $400+/per night. The room's nicesest feature was the heated bathroom floor.

We often use Marriott hotels on trips since we really like the overall quality and good sleep. Unfortunately The bed sagged in the middle on the right side. Their lesser expensive hotels have better room quality and better service. Wentworth by the Sea could have been the nicest place we had ever stayed. It is surprising that they would have the audacity to think we wouldn't notice the switch.

Room Tip: insist on being on the 3rd floor or higher.
1  Thank jeffordsm
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Summary: E-mail confirmation of 2 nights in 1 BR marina suite. Arrive after 6 hour drive and at check-in front office manager informs me that we can only have it for one night, and will have to move to main hotel for 2nd night. My Dad has had stroke and has limited mobility, and watching the marina activity will be the highlight of the trip. Oh well. They overbooked. Computer glitch. I had asked to be put on a wait list for a 2 BR, and since she was able to get that for me for one night (she told me for the first time at check-in) the original 1 BR reservation for 2 nights was automatically cancelled.... Goodness: which reason was it? She lied to the GM the next day about our conversation. He rode roughshod over me until I burst into tears. Discount and plate of strawberries in apology from him in the end, but just such a dishonest and unfair experience. Oh, and initial reservation with Marriot took 30 minutes. I kept getting put on hold because clerks didn't have definitive room info, including pricing for marina rooms, on hand. Just not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank betsym1234
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Just returned from 4 days at the inn. Room was lovely, clean, view of water. Best part was not even having to get in the car to enjoy a great day. We had breakfast, lounged by the pool, took a boat cruise from the hotel's marina, more pool with a pina colada, later drinks with relaxing music by piano and bass players in the lounge, dinner on deck overlooking marina and tea on the veranda before a restful night's sleep in a very comfortable bed. Didn't get to the spa, unfortunately. The grounds are beautiful with flower gardens. Staff is friendly and helpful. We will return again!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I travel a lot for business and there is only 1 other hotel that provides this type of friendly & professional service that I can think of. Upon arrival we were greeted by the Josh who took our luggage and waited for us to check in. Tim had us checked in in less than 2 minutes and we were off to our room. Was not quite what we asked for, and a quick phone call and explanation set in motion the reason why we chose this hotel. Tim asked me for a few minutes and he went to work on addressing my concerns. Meanwhile Josh waited with us and was completely empathetic. In 5 minutes Tim had found a solution that worked for us and we were on our way to enjoying our weekend.

The food was very good in both the main dining room and the marina restaurant. Breakfast was a good value. Dinner in the main dining room was expensive, but very well presented and delivered. We got to watch the wait staff serve a party of 16 and they all marched out and circled the table and placed everyones food down at the same time. Wait staff was very nice.

Had a massage, and Sheryl was awesome. I usually don't talk, but I found the conversation very engaging and enjoyed my massage and the conversation.

The rooms were very nicely appointed. Not your typical Marriott either. The rooms in the main hotel were elegant, and from what I understand, each one is slightly different. The Marina rooms were fantastic. Two floors, bedroom, huge bath, walkin closet and balcony upstairs and a kitchen, living room, fireplace, 1/2 bath, table, island downstairs. More than enough room for 2, and could have easily accommodated us with our kids. Great view of the marina too! The pool was literally right outside our door. Less than 20 steps from the door and you were in the pool. There are steps to get down to the 1st floor rooms or to the pool. And it is about 1/8 of a mile from the main hotel. Really not a big deal.

When we looked at a weekend getaway, we originally were going to go to Maine, but upon reading some of the reviews here, we were hesitant. There were very distinct examples of staff at hotels that just did not seem to care. So we went the safe route, and stayed at a Marriott. I can say that this was nothing short of a fantastic weekend, made by a fantastic staff. We look forward to coming back again.

2  Thank mgoldatl