“Trailer Park pretending to be a campground”

Friendly Beaver Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Boston
Friendly Beaver Campground
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Kind of scary...

This place is really a place for locals to live year rpund. We have no problem or issue with campgrounds that have seasonal sites, but this place is scary. Not only do people live here year round, but they also use their "homes" and grounds to store junk, refrigerators and the tackiest signs, electric lights and storage that you can imagine. You are camping with people that use their sites and junk yards and for storage as they live in trailers full time- and we know that wherever you may live full time, you accumulate things and trailers are not known for extensive storage!

Some of the staff was very nice, but the owner(s)/people in charge were always rude, short and seemed to REALLY NOT want transientes/short term stays.

Grounds are not kept very clean and the bathrooms were dirty and so were the other buildings- now we understand every campground is going to have certain hours were things may be dirty etc., but this place never seemed to have clean times despite the number of times we used them. Either the site is not clean or they have too many people using the facilities and not enough staff to keep up with it. This went for the pools too.

Ask around for the stories about the some of the horrible things that have gone on here too... we couldn't believe what we heard...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Ambrose L

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I don't want to write a bad review so.... the possitives were the pool and the play areas were kept and well maintained. the 4 pools were a plus with an indoor one for the rainy days but being in a metal building we were told to get out of the water when a sign of lightning was in the area ( this was a possitive) the childrens activities were a plus also even during the week.. I found the staff at the store to be quite friendly but outside they were quite the oppisite. we reserved for 3 nights and left after 2.. due to chasing skunks off our site 2 nights in a row we didn't want a 3rd night. we did keep the food in containers and our site clean But the skunks were relentless. and seriously unafraid of humans. I would suggest bringing the cat and dog repellent with you to this camp.. and surrounding your site with it. it may help. our site was dirty and i noticed no cleaning of sites between visiters.. we did spend time cleaning up our site befor setting up. the bathrooms I believe were picked up daily but you couldn't tell.. and as said previously by others there are alot of seasonals with very unkept campers.

Room Tip: Bring Cat / dog repelant with you to surround your site.. to maybe help keep skunks out.. you can be...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

This is the trashiest campground - Dirty unkept seasonals , all sorts of transient looking people and the level of drunkenness on people of ALL ages was clearly not monitored!
I would not return here Again.
The pools were nice , goats and ponies were cute to feed but that's about it ....

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Karyb72
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I spent one night in a tent site at Friendly Beaver (night before last). I had relatives in a camper site nearby. As this is April, the pool was not open but they were working on getting it open. The indoor pool was open and my nephews enjoyed it, said it was fun but the chlorine level was a bit high. The bathrooms were all clean, and each bathroom had a free shower in it, which is not what we usually find when camping. The campground had wifi ($) which we didn't use. The kids liked the goats and ponies, but I would agree with the other reviewer and avoid a site near them - the goats would be a bit of a nuisance.

I didn't find that they enforced the quiet hours, but the campground did quiet down by 11:30 or midnight. Before that, there was a group of teens near the adult rec room who were being quite loud, and I didn't see anyone ask them to quiet down.

For an off-season camping trip, it was just fine (chosen because it had an inground pool, of course). I'm not sure whether it would stand up to camping mid-summer.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan12369
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This campground and thier staff is not very friendly.
I will say the young girl and young boy in thier store are very nice, the lady owner must of had a bad week because she never smile. The security staff came to our site 3 times all before quet time and told us we had to quiet down (mind you it as just 4 adults talking around a fire), on the 3rd trip to us I asked why they keep bothering us since we wee not loud and not bothing others and he replied its my job lady now be quiet! I asked his name he said Frank so all I can say is Frank needs a life and if the campground want quet time at 8 pm they should tell you this because it is posted 11pm. The 2 brothers are also not very friendly, we asked directions to the horse shoe pit and 1 of them said on your way out mam! My husband and I looked at each other confused and they drove away. This campground should be "The Rude Beaver" The bathrooms are dirty, the laundry room and arcade room was also in need of cleaning. The pools were green.....gross, no one was in it on a beautiful sunny day, I asked another security person why it was green and they said it looked fine to him!!!
I just cannot say anything good about this place. We travel a lot and have never been more disappointed. We live and learn and won't be back!!

Room Tip: Just Don't Go!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank paulasullivan64
Reviewed June 12, 2011

After much contemplation, we stayed at Friendly Beaver in June of 2011. We were torn on whether or not to stay here due to the not so good reviews. Good Woodalls rating, not so good reviews from various web sites / folks that have stayed. I can see why now - simply put, this campground is a mixed bag. It certainly has positive attributes, but also has negative ones which really weigh down the positive.

First - this campground is nearly all seasonals with only few transient sites available. Most every seasonal also has a golf cart – so lots of golf carts driving around. I will say this - the seasonal folks definitely seem very tight, but our experience was that they were also super friendly to transient campers like us.

The positives - great pool(s) and pool area. it's really nice that they have an indoor option for those cooler nights or rainy days. They have new gazebo’s which are also very nice, but come with a charge $50 a day and $100/day on special theme weekends. We thought that was a bit steep. They have lots of scheduled activities, which is a plus for us. They have a bit of everything - ball fields / courts, play grounds, outdoor movie "drive-in" style, small arcade, craft room, adult rec room, etc. They do several scheduled kids activities during the weekend ie. flashlight lollipop hunt, scavenger hunt, field activities, arts & craft, wagon ride, fire truck ride ($2p.p),etc. They also have Wi-Fi, but again for a charge -$5 for 24 hrs. Their store is quite stocked with a variety of options. They also have a café open limited hours.

The downside - is the state of several of the seasonals camping units and lots. Some very nice, but several very dingy, moldy, rusty, and areas very un-kept. You can tell this campground has been here for a while and so have some of the camping units. The campground is in sections, and many of the sections are tall wooded, shaded areas that have been around for a while. If they had some type of upkeep policy, it would really change the feel of this campground. In terms of sites to stay, or should I say not to stay at… A word to the wise… Unless you want ALL the camp traffic going by your sight and want to be serenaded by goats (yes I said, goats) do not stay at any of the sites near the office. There is a pen with several goats and several yards away a pen with a pony. (sort of back side of the office. To give you an idea, sites 15/14 are right in front of the goats and right behind these sites, is the pony pen). I am so glad we did not get a site near the goats – that annoying constant noise would have been enough for me to leave. The 200 section should be advertised as safari because for the most part, it is one circular clear cut open area with several campsites in it. There are a few trees, but not enough to separate sites. This is also the section with the outside movie theater. The 400 section is a newer and nicer section, but it is most if not all seasonal sites.

If you want a full hook-up site, you may not get it. When I called to make reservations for a full hook-up, they told me they only had a few sites with full hook-up and could not guarantee sewer. I was told I could reserve for water and electric and some short period of time prior to our arrival, they look over the reservations and if they are able to accommodate full hook-up, they will move you to a site with it. When I told them that for us having a full hook-up or not, made a difference of making a reservation or not, they told me to call back the next day. When I did, they told me to call back in the afternoon. Then when I called for the third time, I was able to make a reservation with full hook-up. All very nice people I spoke with, but it didn’t set well that I had to call 3 times just to get the reservation.

Nothing to do with the campground, but if you want a great pizza, try New Boston Pizza just about 3-5 miles from the campground. They have several other items subs, etc. – we had the pizza and it was outstanding (had the bbq chicken and chicken ranch – both were fabulous).

Not sure we’d stay again…

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank lovetotravel2323

Been to Friendly Beaver Campground? Share your experiences!