“Some of the best Mexican”
Review of La Carreta

La Carreta
Ranked #18 of 259 Restaurants in Nashua
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I've eaten Mexican about twice a month for 20 years. This restaurant has moved up to the top of the list. Great food, good portions and reasonable prices.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were looking for a Mexican restaurant in the area, after spending the day up in Nashua, NH. I used Poynt to search for Mexican type restaurants, and many come up in the search. This one was at the top of the list and got really good reviews from a number of sites, anywhere from 4.5/5 to 3.5/5.

They brought out fresh chips and salsa, and they were good -- so were the margaritas. They used a mix, but I was able to obtain some fresh lime juice; and the bartender told me that they would make us margaritas using fresh lime upon request.

A good start.

But from here out, something awful this way came. My wife ordered chicken enchiladas. They used shredded chicken and she had requested salsa verde. So far so good. It was fine. Not outstanding, but good.

I ordered grilled steak quesadillas. I expected the usual steak I find at Mexican restaurants, which is marinated in lime, spices and herbs. I also expected some sort of Mexican cheese. I was very, very wrong. The freshly grilled sliced steak was not herbed or marinated at all. The cheese? American cheese. I don't even order my cheesesteaks from the local sub place with American cheese, either opting for provolone, swiss or cheddar.

But American cheese from an "authentic" Mexican restaurant? Even Taco Bell doens't use American cheese. The bartender told me that all of the tacos, burritos and quesadillas use exclusively American cheese. I asked about the lack of marinade, and was told that only chicken gets any sort of marinade and that's only in two entrees which are a whole chicken breast in some sort of sauce. No enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, etc., use marinated chicken. NONE of the beef/steaks they offer are prepared with a marinade or rubbed with herbs or spices.

My wife and I were splitting the enchiladas and quesadillas. Between the two of us, we ate just about one of the two quesadillas after realizing that they tasted so poor, certainly given our expectations, that we had to say something.

When we got the bill, the quesadillas were on it. The bartender thought it was appropriate since we had eaten almost one whole one. I responded that at the very most, we would pay for one quesadilla, but that the dish was really poor. In the end, the restaurant did take it off the bill.

But in the end, no use of marinades for any of their steaks? The use of American cheese on ALL of their tacos, quesadillas, burritos, etc.? I don't know ANY other Mexican restaurant I have ever been to which used American cheese.

Come here for chips and salsa, and margaritas, but that's about it. I wouldn't come here again. That this restaurant gets mostly high marks here puzzles me.

3  Thank AnalogJ
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The food here is awesome. The service is prompt and friendly. In the 20 years I have eaten here, there has only been one night where service was less then expected. It is the place I visit every time I come back to the Nashua area. 11/10 I return everytime.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The restaurant is way way way busy to say the least. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table for 2 fairly late on a sunday night. The atmosphere isn't the best since it is so crowded and very loud. The servers are extremely busy and they get the job done quickly... the service wasn't amazing but nonetheless efficient. We tried the queso with the chips and salsa to start with... the salsa and chips were great (one of the best salsas we've had). The queso not so much. We would've been very happy with the chips and salsa only. After that we tried the dinner for 2 which included a tostada, a burrito, an enchilada, a taco rice and beans.. the food was great. The best mexican food we've tried (never been to mexico though). We would definately go back if we were closer... take out must be a great option since the atmosphere and service is affected by their popularity. Way too crowded.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Came in for lunch, the place was jamming on a Monday- good sign. Not your usual cheesy South of the Border décor, a little classier than that, but definitely a Latin atmosphere. Comfy booth by a window. Hot fresh chips and a nice medium salsa. We ordered guacamole which came quickly, was a bit bland and mushy but not too bad. We both would have preferred it with a little more jalapeno, but when mixed with the salsa it was nice.
I ordered a cervezo, companion ordered a Perfect margarita which apparently was as described.
Entrees- fish fajitas for her, chicken Sinaloa for me. This is where they really shine- the Mexican dishes were perfection. The Sinaloa which I believe is a rustic roadside grilled origin food was deliciously spiced, thinly pounded chicken breast, topped with sautéed onions, mushrooms, green and yellow squash. Simply fantastic. I ate it all. I can do without the refried topped with Monterey jack and the rice that seems to be minute rice ion all the Mexican places lately, but the chicken and veggies, so so very good. Friend loved her fish fajitas too, they smelled great. I will most definitely be back soon for more of this delicious chicken.
Our server was very attentive, nice and friendly, all that you can ask for.
Jarring note as we were leaving; apparently if it's your birthday they all gather around and scare the crap out of you by shouting loudly and then singing the birthday song.

Been to La Carreta? Share your experiences!