“Excellent Mexican food, so so Americanized standards”
Review of La Carreta

La Carreta
Ranked #14 of 258 Restaurants in Nashua
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Came in for lunch, the place was jamming on a Monday- good sign. Not your usual cheesy South of the Border décor, a little classier than that, but definitely a Latin atmosphere. Comfy booth by a window. Hot fresh chips and a nice medium salsa. We ordered guacamole which came quickly, was a bit bland and mushy but not too bad. We both would have preferred it with a little more jalapeno, but when mixed with the salsa it was nice.
I ordered a cervezo, companion ordered a Perfect margarita which apparently was as described.
Entrees- fish fajitas for her, chicken Sinaloa for me. This is where they really shine- the Mexican dishes were perfection. The Sinaloa which I believe is a rustic roadside grilled origin food was deliciously spiced, thinly pounded chicken breast, topped with sautéed onions, mushrooms, green and yellow squash. Simply fantastic. I ate it all. I can do without the refried topped with Monterey jack and the rice that seems to be minute rice ion all the Mexican places lately, but the chicken and veggies, so so very good. Friend loved her fish fajitas too, they smelled great. I will most definitely be back soon for more of this delicious chicken.
Our server was very attentive, nice and friendly, all that you can ask for.
Jarring note as we were leaving; apparently if it's your birthday they all gather around and scare the crap out of you by shouting loudly and then singing the birthday song.

There are newer reviews for La Carreta

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I've been here twice & have given up. Food isn't that good. Service is terrible & atmosphere isn't inviting. Both times I went I felt ignored from the time I put my name on the list to the time I paid the bill. I won't be back & neither will the other 6 people that went with me.

2  Thank Crocmate11
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love the food. So authentic and flavorful. They seemed to have stopped putting potatoes in the rice. Too bad as that was a nice bonus. Can not say enough good things about the food and very accommodating to families with children. Get there early though as it tends to fill up quick or you have a wait list.

1  Thank rmrjbr
Reviewed June 2, 2013

While the food wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I ordered the La Favorita which is a chicken enchilada, a mixed tostada and a steak tip burrito. The steak tip burrito was actually a steak "bits" burrito. I am not sure what was in the mixed tostado other then ground beef. My wife and I both felt that the red sauce tasted like Chef Boyardee tomato sauce.

It's a fast turnover restaurant. You order and 5 minutes (or less) later your food there. Really didn't get a feeling that they want you to linger very long - eat and leave so that someone else can take your booth. It's not someplace that I would recommend if you want to spend some time relaxing and talking over dinner.

The margaritas are good.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

BEST Mexican food by far! Our food was perfect from the handmade tortilla chips and salsa to our flavorful entrees. I love to cook Mexican food and whenever I am at a restaurant I compare it to my favorite homemade recipes. This place was amazing and tasted fresh and authentic. Margaritas were plentiful and delicious.

1  Thank Kerryajmm

Been to La Carreta? Share your experiences!