“Great casual fine dining ”
Review of Unums - CLOSED

Unums
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Unique atmosphere combines with wonderful presentation and flavor combinations for a fantastic dining experience. Only open for diner and expect $30-50 per plate prices, but worth every penny.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had never dined here but visited once for drinks and sat at the bar. We enjoyed the ambiance and were eager to return for dinner. We did so for a special occasion. Based on the reviews, we were looking forward to a memorable experience. My wife ordered filet mignon and I ordered a tuna dish. My wife's filet was not the least bit tender and there were veins of gristle running through it. When she was half done, she asked if I wanted a taste. As soon as I sampled it, I felt sure that what she received was not a filet. It had to be a less expensive cut of beef. We immediately called over the waiter and explained the situation. He ended up apologizing and deducted the price of two of the glasses of wine that we had at ten dollars each. This was a $38.00 filet. I wasn't looking for any kind of a deduction and told Walter, our waiter, as much. I simply wanted him to know how unhappy we were. Over and above that, my wife had asked our waiter for some salt and after 5 minutes went by, I asked again, as the hostess was walking by. She promptly brought a salt shaker. We also had to ask two different wait people for a glass of wine for my wife. I realize that this was a Saturday night and the restaurant was quite busy; nevertheless, based on what we requested, the service should have been better. The overall experience was unsatisfactory and disappointing. That was our second and last experience at Unums.

3  Thank Paul H
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Went to Unums for the first time for dinner last night and had a very good dining experience. Highlights were the tuna tartar (spicy and delicious), grilled romaine with bacon jam, and roast duck. Unums has a good martini and wine selection, but a bit lacking in the deserts (3 items not made there, although the Buzz Bars were very good). Service was good if a bit slow at times but we were OK with having plenty of time for conversation. We had a great table in the glassed-in front of the restaurant, after a brief wait at the good-sized and comfortable bar.

Highly recommended, and hope to get back there again if I can convince my desert-hound wife that the rest of the dining experience out-weighs the light desert selection.

2  Thank DMacNH
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The atmosphere, decor, bar and tables are beautifully crafted, lovely and high class. We were dressed up, but also saw people in jeans and shorts. The food really shines. One of the best meals we've had. We absolutely loved the Roasted Oysters, Grilled Romaine Salad and our waiter, Walter, suggested the "off menu" Surf and Turf, an 8 oz. filet with three huge perfectly cooked scallops covered in lobster cream sauce. This is a dish you dream about but is rarely executed well. That was not the case at Unum's. The dessert list is very limited, with only three items, one of which, the Creme brûlée, wasn't available, but they had a substitution of a Chocolate Marscapone Mousse, which was light and fluffy. Great dinner!

3  Thank FoodLustNH
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have eaten here once and must say that my experience with the service, food and drinks is phenomenal!!! The food is amazingly delicious, service is quite attentive and the drinks are great. Located in downtown Nashua, this place offers some of the best food in the NH area compared to some of the best restaurants in Boston and NYC. It's a MUST try. Looking forward to going back next month!!