“Good food, but nothing spectacular.”
Review of Joe's American Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Joe's American Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Pepperell, Massachusetts
“Good food, but nothing spectacular.”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We ate here this past Friday.For a Friday night, they were practically empty....not a great sign as most places that are good are tough to get in at 7pm on a Friday night. Hostess was not the brightest bulb in the pack. We requested a booth, and she seemed quite confused on how to clean a table with no dish towel....off she went searching for a towel. Mean while back at the ranch....someone saw us standing there, and grabbed a towel, wiped it down, and sat us. Just at that moment the hostess shows up with A towel looking frantic....ooops...too late hun!! LOL Whatever.....server was really nice, and suggested a couple seafood dishes that were pretty good. We got and order of the baked scallops, and lobster ravioli. The lobster ravs were quite tasty along with big plump shrimp in a delicious sauce. The scallops were okay....cooked well, but kind of bland. A little fresh lemon and a sprinkle of pepper helped. Over all a nice meal...food pretty good, drinks were very good. For just under a $100, i could have eaten at Surf, and I probably should have.

• Visited May 2012

Massachusetts
“Consistent quality and service”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

A good place to catch up with friends or a date. Love their hot bread and relaxed environment. Bar and top tables are also good if you are not in the mood of waiting for a table. Meats will not disappoint you but I will not ask for mash potato which at times I have had not fresh or recently made.

Visited February 2012
“Consistently good food”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've visited this restaurant often and I'm never disappointed. The food is always good although the service on this particular visit was slow and frustrating at times. Nonetheless I'd still recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for affordable, delicious food.

• Visited February 2012
Boston
“Good food; great service”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Although the prices were high, the service (at the bar) was outstanding not withstanding the hostess who looked lost and overwhelmed. My partner and I had salad..an Ahi Tuna with avocado and a grilled, sliced chicken. The tuna was actually cooked correctly! Seared on the outside and raw on the inside..served with a wasabi dressing, ginger, and soy dressing on the side. Excellently prepared and presented! My partner's chicken salad was good but not quite as notable as the chicken was a bit "rubbery". Complimented by a Guinness and a Harpoon IPA, we were both pleased with the experience!

Being at the Pheasant Lane Mall, local restaurants can get slammed early Saturday evening, so this was a great option since the "new" restaurant at the mall was sporting a 45 minute wait time and probably 20% table vacancies. (I guess they're still learning) ...but Joe's was right there, so I'm glad things turned out well.

• Visited November 2011
“How NOT To Cook”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Went to Joe's with my wife and a friend on a Friday to have their Cajun Prime Rib. I had it one time before and it was great. Was looking so forward to another great meal, but I guess it was not going to be today. I placed my order the same as I did the time before, medium rare more on the rare side than medium. The girls both ordered the pork chops that were one of the specials of the day. After about 20 minutes the order came and the chops looked good but we needed knives to cut the meat and could not find our waiter. After a few minutes found another waiter who gave us some blades. I cut into my prime rib my mouth had been watering for and instead of pinkish red I had a slab of brown shoe leather. After about 10 our waiter came over to see how everything was and I showed the nice color brown beef and he offered to cook me another one but by the time I would have got one back the girls would have been done and If I had wanted to eat alone I would have come by myself.. The manager came over and offered to bring me another meal, again I declined and would much rather he went and taught the cooks the difference between medium rare and well done. The prices here are not cheap (cajun rib was about $30) and a martini is about $8 to $10. Will I ever go back? NOOOOOOOO!!! You can go across the street to Outback and get a great prime rib for 1/3 less and they will cook it right for you.

• Visited January 2011