“Worst theme park in the White Mountains”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Six Gun City

More attraction details
Owner description: Park for children, offering a waterslide, petting zoo, trails in the woods and other outdoor activities.
Scarborough, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Worst theme park in the White Mountains”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

My wife and I recently drove three hours from Portland, Maine to enjoy a day at Six Gun City with our two children and their grandmother. I’d visited the park once in 1972 and had fond memories of the experience. I remembered visiting blacksmith shops, trading posts, corrals and jails where attendants told us all about the Wild West.

We checked into the park shortly before lunch and promptly set about looking for a place to eat lunch. The kids were tired, cranky and needed to eat. I walked around the park, looking for some picnic tables in a shady area, but found nothing. I did see a lot of staff who looked unwelcoming and bored. I saw unattended exhibits filled with junk. I saw crews of people, presumably staff, sitting around, smoking. I saw very few tables, and the ones we did see were occupied. I had a bad feeling right away. This was not the Six Gun City that I remembered, or the one that was advertised.

Since we couldn’t find a picnic table, we walked toward the children’s pool and sat down in the shade of a tree to eat. A lifeguard informed us the area was ‘restricted.’ There was no sign anywhere that marked it as such, and the area was nice enough. No machinery. Nothing that would indicate that being there was a problem.

I told the lifeguard that we had to get some food for the kids, and we’d leave soon after. The sun was blasting hot, they were hungry. We needed ten minutes to get the kids ready for the day. Instead, the lifeguard summoned another guard who approached us with a walkie-talkie and asked us to leave the area.

Bear in mind, that this area was not marked ‘restricted.’ There was no sign, and nothing to indicate that the area should be restricted. Being ejected from a picnic spot in the middle of the lunch soured us on the park. We’d driven three hours from Portland, Maine for this, but Six Gun City’s offensive behavior ruined the day.

After no more than 15 minutes in the park, we decided to leave. Since we’d paid nearly $100 of our vacation money, I requested a refund. The cashier refused a refund. I asked to see a manager, and a man came out of the office. He declined to offer a refund either, though we’d spent no more than 15 minutes in the mark.

I don’t know what angered me more — being ejected from a lunch spot, or this manager’s complete disregard for customer service. He made no attempt to address my concerns. Instead, he was immediately argumentative.

I’ve never been subject to such rude behavior from a manager who was working with a customer that had a legitimate complaint and had made a legitimate request. No wonder the staff looked so miserable.

4 Thank BrewsterGilmore

Woburn, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A total waste of money!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2007

I visited Six Gun City this past weekend with my 3 and 7 year olds and my mother and was horribly disappointed!! It cost us $56 dollars to enter the park (the 3 year old was free and my Mom got the Senior Citizen discount). In my opinion it was a total waste of money. It was very deserted (and we visited on a friday of 4th of July week), the staff looked bored and wasn't very friendly at all. My kids tried to do the log boat ride where they paddle themselves and couldn't quite get the hang of it so I asked the attendent (a young girl) to show them how to do it and her response was "I only work here, I've never paddled a boat." Then we purchased a big pretzel for $3.00. It was hard as a rock (at 11:00 am) and there was some type of nasty old tasting oil slathered on it. I wouldn't even let me son eat it. We took a ride on the rollar coaster which was small and rickety but not too bad - the kids liked it. We then went to the bumper kids boats (my children were both too small to drive and the the 3 year old was too small to go on the bigger ones). There were 5 kiddie bumper boats and only one was working. The attendant told us that they forgot to charge the other 4 so only one child could go on at a time. We were also told that there would be a show every 10-15 minutes. In the 45 minutes we were there we did not see one show. My children were too small for the go carts so we didn't even attempt them. All of the little "businesses" in the town were dull, dirty and empty. I remember as a child going in to each one and seeing a demo and having someone explain what each one was all about. There was not a single person working any of them. It was a very sad experience as I had my kids all pumped up with stories of Six Gun City from when I was little. They actually asked to leave!! We spoke to management on the way out and sadly they basically told us too bad!! It had a ton of potential they just need more enthusiastic employees and some fun fresh ideas.

6 Thank cutiesmom
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Family fun for a very good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

We visited Six Gun City with our 7-year-old son and 5-year old daughter over the July 4th weekend this summer, and had a very positive experience. Six Gun City appears to have initially come of age in the 50s or early 60s (think Davey Crockett and coonskin caps), and has a funky old-west theme in the oldest part of the park.

However, they have steadily added on attractions over the years, including bumper boats (wet but hysterical fun), a go-cart track, a kid-friendly small roller-coaster, pony rides, a small kid's waterslide, a "big kids'" waterslide, and a toboggan ride. My son was in love with their state-of-the-art laser tag system, and I spent a good portion of the afternoon in the dark, shooting at strangers and laughing.

Park personnel are friendly, the facilities clean, uncrowded, and well-managed, and you can't beat the price -- $18 per person (over four) for all day, all-inclusive fun. For families with young children through tweens and teens looking for the "next thing" after Storyland -- Six Gun City is a fun place and a very good value (particularly compared to local and county fairs, where similar rides and attractions would be many times as much money).

14 Thank DrewKnight