“Basic Hotel, Good Location”
Review of Sunapee Lake Lodge

Sunapee Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sunapee
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Basic Hotel, Good Location”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently for a Sunapee ski weekend. We typically take day trips from Boston to ski at Sunapee but wanted to spend the weekend during the 2013 storm.

We went into the weekend expecting a basic hotel/room that was convenient to the mountain.

The location can't be beat for a ski trip, its a two minute drive from the hotel parking lot to the Sunapee parking lot. The hotel overall is a bit dated, we didn't explore much, but it generally has a worn feeling to it. All of the people at the front desk were very friendly.

We were in a pet friendly room on the lower level. The room was fine, two king beds, fridge, microwave, and a ton of space. And still plenty of light from the window that overlooks the back of the property. One of the beds was really sunken in the middle so that we both rolled towards the center, the other bed was fine though. The floor was tile, and a bit chilly on the feet, but it was good for wet ski gear and dog paws. The bathroom was basic, the toilet was stained and a bit gross looking but was clean. The shower was fine, it was clean but just worn, there was also no shower curtain liner so we kept the decorative curtain in the tub and it just soaked up water.

All in all it does the job for a quick ski trip, we'd stay here again for the convenience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gananoque
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel in the past, so on a recent trip to Maine we made it our first night stop. Our room was in the basement, large but dirty, dust bunnies moving around like tumble weeds. One of the beds was so bad it dropped 4" in the center, lights were burnt out and grout in the bathroom was spread around like they used a shovel.
I went to the desk to get another room, which we recieved. When I went to use the toilet, at 5:30 am (a # 1) it started to overflow....so I shut the water off. I went downstairs spoke to the front desk staff who furnished me with a plunger, I fixed it myself.
Upon checking out later that day there was an additional charge on my bill that could not be explained....after some discussion it was removed.
We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KidShilleen

Travelers are raving about these Mount Sunapee hotels

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We, too, had a poor experience of this hotel, though when I complained to the manager on the morning we left (at having to check out in the early morning, specifically, rather than being allowed to the previous night, which the young folk in charge had said was not allowable), she was very apologetic and interested to hear my various complaints about untrained front desk staff and a less than comfortable room. Surprisingly expensive, too, considering how much better we did in terms of cleanliness, comfort, and service at other hotels on our trip to New Hampshire. If you can find an alternative in this town, go for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl W
lorraine d, Manager at Sunapee Lake Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for comment regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I wish you would have expressed your issues prior to checking out so we could have had a chance to correct them.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 603-763-2010.

Lorraine Day
BEST WESTERN Sunapee Lake Lodge
New Tripoli, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were in NH to attend a show at Musterfield Farm in North Sutton. Being unfamiliar with the area I decided to look for a Best Western in the area since we usually stay at Best Westerns when we travel.
Well, I will reconsider that in the future. This place was overpriced, understaffed and a great disappointment.
I had taken our swimwear along since they have a pool. A pool that couldn 't be used because the water was cloudy and the pool was dirty. It wasn't circulating and when we called the front desk they said that is because it is salt water and that makes it cloudy and it is set-up to run intermittently. It doesn't need to run all the time. Oh, and it was not warm water. Didn't use the pool.
They advertise breakfast. What a joke! It is supposed to be served from 6-10 a.m. We went down at 6 and the room was dark. I went back to our room and called. I woke a man up. I asked when breakfast was supposed to be served...he said 6-10 a.m.....oh, it's 6:15! He'll set it up.
Worse breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. No juice, no fresh fruit, a ridiculous pancake machine that makes horrible pancakes, no waffles, pre-made breakfast sandwiches that were wrapped in foil and put in a steam warmer that had just been turned on so they were cold. The same man that was taking care of the breakfast was also attending to the front desk so he had to keep running back and forth.
Housekeeping in atrocius! The carpeting was full of little pieces of paper and hair. The beds weren't made properly. The bedspreads in our room were dirty and full of pulls in the fabric. We went to the show on Saturday and when we returned we did have clean towels but the bedding was only pulled up and it looked like the pillows had been tossed onto the bed.
Our son had met us in NH to spend the weekend with us. They had one of the pet friendly rooms on the lower level. Their beds weren't even made at all when they returned.
Then there is a restaurant next door and they have outdoor entertainment. You hear this thumping all the time from the music when the bands are playing.
It was just a bad, bad experience. It costs us more to stay there for 2 nights than it did for 4 nights at a place in Maine.
I would not recommend this place to anyone. I am going to heed the reviews when I book at any Best Western in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Elaine N
lorraine d, General Manager at Sunapee Lake Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
The staff and management at Sunapee Lake Lodge are profoundly apologetic for this guest's experience. Our housekeeping staff members are thoroughly trained professionals and take great pride in presenting clean, fresh smelling, sanitized rooms for all of our guests. Our front desk staff pride themselves in serving our guests by going above and beyond for all our guests needs. We take any problems exsperienced with a guest's stay very seriously. We have reviewed the details of this workday in particular, and have made specific adjustments to prevent this breakdown from occuring again.

new jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you like damp, dank, & smelly, then check right in. However, if you don't, run away. We stayed in a lower level room and although it was spacious, it was in no way luxurious. Sheets felt thin and worn. Ceramic tile on floor was dirty. Breakfast was atrocious. Woman making the egg sandwiches did not use gloves and put the cooked eggs on washcloths. Gross! Needless to say, I will never be back!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank rockin62
lorraine d, Manager at Sunapee Lake Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Hello,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your likes and dislikes of the Best Western Sunapee Lake Lodge. We failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration we strive for with all our guests. We pride ourselves with going above and beyond for our guests. Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail and steps have been taken to ensure these types of issues are avoided. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in the area. I can assure we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one. Come enjoy the changes that we have made to serve our guests with above and beyond guest service.

Lorraine Day
#1 of 2 in Bradford
The New London Inn
The New London Inn
#2 of 6 in New London

Been to Sunapee Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!