“I should have ordered the chicken fingers!”
Review of El Mariachi

El Mariachi
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Zip Code 03254
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I am not a huge fan of Mexican as I have the "cilantro=dish soap syndrome" but I know my husband loves it so I figured we would stop on our way home. Our server seemed new and was helpful in finding a dish that would work for me. I ordered the paella which sounded good and I figured for $23 it must have a good amount of seafood in it. Was I wrong. It had 2 scallops, 2 shrimp,4 small and rubberized calamari, 3 very fishy mussels and a piece of "fishy" fish. Lots of saffron and onions. The rice was served on the side, I am not sure if this is standard or they did this since I was hesitant on the amount of cilantro that it may have contained. Soda is $2.25 per glass (which was full of ice-no free refills). Hubby had Cochinitas pibil - a pork taco for $16. It was ok, not a lot of flavor and certainly overpriced for what you got. I had asked for another coke (I wouldn't have done so had I know the price) and after reminding our waiter about it several minutes later, it probably would have been forgotten. My husband also asked to try the mole sauce and that never showed up. To top things off, a waitress was delivering chips and salsa to a neighboring table and she dropped it on the floor....salsa flew everywhere and some landed on my clothing. She apologized and offered seltzer to clean it up. After some cleaning, I hoped I got the bulk of it out of my clothes. I kind of expected an offering of dessert or something to make up for spending my mealtime doing laundry. Nothing. Our waiter didn't even offer us dessert...he just dropped the $49 check on our table while my husband was still eating his dinner. Ugh.....we will NEVER return.

There are newer reviews for El Mariachi

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant on the recommendation of friends. We were not disappointed, the food was great. There were four of us and we thought the total bill was very reasonable, so I don't understand complaints about prices. Our dining partners spend their winters just a few miles from the Mexican border and they thought the mole sauce was the best they had ever tasted. The service was friendly, accurate and quick.

The sizzling fajitas were coming out of the kitchen so fast that there was a cloud of steam and smoke hanging in the dining room. They need a more powerful exhaust fan to keep the air clear. The decor is pretty cheesy but who can argue with good food. I especially enjoyed the table side preparation of the guacamole was fun to watch and resulted in some very fresh and delicious guacamole.

The place is pretty small so you should think about calling a head for reservations before going during busy times. I will definitely put this on my list of places to visit regularly.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The glowing reviews here are surprising; the food was decent as far as Mexican goes (and I do eat my share of tacos), but the prices were absolutely RIDICULOUS. No lunch specials (only in the winter?!), and atmosphere like what you would expect in an Lakes Region Mexican restaurant that used to be a seafood restaurant. Bottom line, spend your money on a ginormous lobster roll -it would cost A LOT less!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I just didn't expect authentic Mexican food in this small town in the upper part of NH. While visiting a friend we had dinner at this small restaurant and the food was exceptional. They had dishes that I have not seen outside of Mexico such a Chili en Nogado my favorite. The guacamole made tableside was excellent and everyone raved about their dishes!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was worried by how disorganzed and short staffed the restaurant appeared, but we were seated on a Sunday evening of a holiday weekend in about 25 minutes without a reservation. The wait was worth it. The wait staff was excellent and the food even better. Really great Carnitas, Guacamole, Skirt Steak and Enchiladas. Will make reservations next time but definitely going back.