“Wow !!! Let's go back again”

Mile Away Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: American, European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Troy, New York
“Wow !!! Let's go back again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

From the time we were first sested I knew I was going to comeback here many more times. The service was above excellent. The food was that of a 5 star NYC establishment and the atmosphere was as quiet as it could be. This all made for a wonderful dining experience. I have traveled for over 40 years and the Mile Away is definitely in my top five dining experiences.

Nashua, NH
“First time at Mile Away - Very Good Overall with one exception”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

With the exception of one of our dinners the experience we had recently at the Mile Away was very good. Service was excellent. The place is clean and the tables were nicely set. Complete meals are a good value. My main course was the scallops which I cannot recommend and would never order again. They were very salty and slightly overcooked. I could overlook the overcooking because scallops are very tricky to make correctly but the seasoning was really intrusive and I could not taste anything but saltiness when I ate them alone. The only way they can be eaten it mixed with either the greens which had a nice dressing or the Swiss potatoes which were somewhat bland on their own. This dish was a swing and a miss. My appetizer (Swedish meatballs), salad (Caesar), and dessert (black forest cake) were very good and my wife's dinner was also very good (Clam Chowder, Caesar salad, Wienerschnitzel and blueberry meringue cake).

My advice to the Mile Away is either take the Scallops off the menu or pay closer attention to them when cooking them.

1 Thank nhdoc
“Quiet atmosphere ,comforting food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I had not been to the Mile Away in many years and I decided it would be a good place to make a reservation for our 34th Anniversary. We eat out a lot, at very good restaurants so I wanted something different. Years ago we enjoyed dinner here as a special occasion but unfortunately this time I was disappointed. We arrived early for our reservation and were prepared to wait but we were seated right away. It was a Sunday night and while the parking lot seemed full there were not many diners inside. I believe there was a function outdoors in a tent.
My husband ordered Champagne and it was served. We ordered four course meals. I ordered Swedish Meatballs and husband order Chicken Liver Pate. My husband enjoyed the pate immensely (I was glad I hadn't ordered it as it was served with Pepperidge farm crackers). The meatballs were okay. We asked about bread as none had been served and were informed it hadn't come out of the oven yet. Warm bread would have been helpful with the meatballs.
Bread did eventually come and salad.
I had planned on ordering Seafood Sophia a favorite there but Wild Caught Rainbow Trout was offered as a special so I decided to order that. I don't like farm raised fish so I was excited. It was a disaster. Overcooked but not dry because it was soaked in overcooked butter and almonds were brown, I couldn't even tell it was trout. Husband ordered Duck l'orange and it was perfect. Side were very good. I ordered braised cabbage which was the highlight of the meal. Next time I'll stick with off the menu entree.
Personally I've never been enamored with the 4 course meal option as I don't think the appetizers and desserts they offer are special but it's a better deal. This visit was no exception. You'd think a German theme restaurant would have a good Steudel so I ordered the Steudel of the day Blueberry & Apple. Too much ,too thick dough with filling more like thick apple butter. Husband ordered Bourbon Bread Pudding which he loved. So the problem here is we had a totally different dining experience. I would rate the meal a 2, he would rate his a 4 so I've rated in between. I guess it's a risk anywhere you go but "usually" we go where we both have 4 star meals.
I think what the Mile Away does have in it's favor is the Quiet atmosphere where you can either be a cozy couple or converse with a whole table of family and friends.

2 Thank grapetomato
Amherst, New Hampshire
“An Okay Place, But Not Very Good Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was not impressed at all with the Mile Away restaurant. When we went it was for Mother's Day. At first the our waitress was nice, but trust me we didn't leave her a very generous tip. Most anything we had ordered they had just conveniently run out of. The other things was that it was almost noon and they wouldn't let us order off of the lunch menu. What was even more annoying was we didn't get our food until almost one-thirty. Another thing was that some of our food was cold, and the waitress had obviously had enough of us and was taking on a snotty attitude. The food itself was good, but I was unimpressed with the service here. I do hope that they have improved on it. I give is a three star because I'm being generous. Overall okay.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lizzya1
NH
“Great meal with one exception”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hadn't eaten here for several years so decided to give it a try. Food and atmosphere are very good. You can order al la carte or they have a four course fixed price meal that has very good choices starting with appetizers and finishing with desert. Restaurant seems to have a German theme but there are plenty of other menu choices. I ordered french onion soup for my appetizer and as the server was bringing it to my table she hit the top of my water glass causing the bowl to tip in her hand spilling a small amount of very very hot broth on the back of my hand. Yes it hurt! Didn't want to cause a big scene in a crowded dining room but all I got was an apology and an offer of ice for my hand. Has never happened to me so not sure what I should have expected but I think an offer of comping the meal would have been nice. The server who seemed a bit harried didn't offer to have me speak to a manager or owner. kind of ruined an otherwise nice dining experience.

1 Thank ball82