“A hidden gem”

Mile Away Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: American, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Townsend, Massachusetts
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

On our anniversary we could not find any restraints available. They all were booked. So taking a shot in the dark I tried searching online for local fine dining. Much to my surprise this restraint came up, and it was only 15minutes from our house. It turned out to be a great choice. It was so charming, and the food was good, will be back.

• Visited July 2013

Hollis, New Hampshire
“Go back to the basics "Making your customers happy"”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After being a long time customer at the mile away I am completely satisfied with the mile away experience. The quality of food seems like everything is canned or store bought. The vegetables seemed like some of them were store bought. and quantity of the food at the mile away. The deserts taste like they were store bought and they are very small portions to begin with.

In the past week i was at the mile away and I got a Caesar salad, french onion soup, fillet Mignon the Swiss potatoes, and some vegetables, for desert I had cheese cake. The Cesar salad dressing had a strange after taste so they had obviously changed the dressing (probably to cut cost, the old one is better).

The French onion soup didn't have a lot of cheese on it ( I mean come on the cheese is the best part). The bread was also burned because there really wasn't a lot of cheese on it to begin with.

The fillet Mingnon was OK. It was tender but it really had no seasoning yet alone any creativity to it. As i said above in the first paragraph I thought some of the vegetables were canned again great way to save money but your sacrificing quality. The Swiss potatoes were more like hash browns rather than actual Swiss potatoes. If i wanted hash browns I could of just went to a diner and paid 1/3rd of the price.

The Cheese cake from before was way better and bigger. It tasted like it was bought from some store. Probably is frozen and much cheaper, I thought it was a little on the colder side and i tasted a little bit of frost. Overall my meal as a whole was OK. The waitress was really nice and so was the bus staff. The chef (at least i think it was the chef) actually came out to talk to some of the customers, but he just asked how it was going and then he awkwardly left. Its pretty clear that the mile away is more concerned over the weddings that they host than the actual customers that walk into the restaurant which mind you got them to where they are today. This restaurant is going down hill fast.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank bob o
Amherst, New Hampshire
“An old favorite but not any longer”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

For our anniversary we thought we'd revisit this standard that we hadn't visited in years. It is still quaint but the enchantment ended there. I order the stuffed clam appetizer that was almost inedible. I ate a couple of bites and set it aside, the waitress took away the remainder without saying a word. To me that meant she knew they were horrible. For an entree i ordered the baked stuff shrimp, over cooked shrimp with pasty stuffing, the rice pilaf was tasteless. I tried my husband's spinach florentine and the sauce was so salty I almost gagged. My husband was hungry and did't want to make a fuss. Because our dinner came with dessert we ordered, I had the bread pudding that looked a whole lot like the bread that was served with the meal, literally cut in half. It took was sadly over cooked, dry and in places downright hard.

Okay it was just one meal and maybe they. Specialize in beef now but I will not be going back to find out.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank BWCusato
NH
“Stay with the Swiss/German Menu”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This used to be in the top 5 of our favorite local restaurants, but dropped from that list after recent experiences.

We have been regulars at the Mile Away for the past 15 years. We have always enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, the friendly service. On our last couple of visits, however, we have noticed some very discouraging and disturbing trends.

At our most recent visit, a very loud party of adults and infants were seated near us. The grandfather being honored was loud and obnoxious, and it rubbed off on the kids, who were climbing on the tables, bouncing off the walls, and removing their clothing. Several years ago we observed the owner moving the entire party to a separate room so his other patrons could enjoy their meals in peace. Unfortunately the management did not step forward in this case. We could barely hear ourselves talking to each other. We gave "atmosphere" a low score, based on this experience. Had the manager removed the loud party, atmosphere would be rated 5 stars.

My companion ordered the Delmonico steak well-done. She was hesitant to order steak because on a previous visit, the steak arrived medium rare, despite her order of "no pink", and had a similar experience ordering grilled duck. Unfortunately, her well-done steak arrived medium rare, with some blood, totally unacceptable. Our server was quite accommodating. She took it back, and when it arrived a few minutes later, it still was pink, but edible.

I ordered the jagerschnitzel. Because of my dairy allergy, the chef topped the veal with a gravy-based mushroom sauté, which was delicious. I sent my thanks for the accommodation.

The service is still top-notch, the sides delicious, and the desserts are delightful. But the decorum is slipping from a dignified dining experience to one accommodating loud and inconsiderate families that want to be the center of attention. And the chef is reluctant to grill meat well-done, so when we do return, we will avoid ordering grilled meat.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank StarWeez
New Hampshire
“Swiss Delight”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Spent our anniversary dinner at the Mile Away in Milford. The meals are (what I call ) Old Style Swiss and German. They offer a four course - appetizer, salad, entree,dessert - for one price
We both had the Holsteinschnitzel. I do like my veal pounded thin and still be soft and flavorful. The chef met those hopes and expectations. The restaurant itself in a "barn" setting with lots of European trinkets and designs. The central fireplace adds to the ambiance. The Mile Away is a bit tucked away. Follow the signs from Route 101 . If you get to Hampshire Hills Racquet Club, you've gone one Road too far. Turn around and don't miss a fine dinner

• Visited March 2013