“Excellent restaurant!”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I went to the Mile Away for dinner last night. We both got the four course dinner. I had the Swedish meatballs for the appetizer and my husband had the clam chowder....both were delicious. I chose the veal with an egg on top and was really impressed! My husband had veal Oscar and loved it. The desserts are also amazing. This is a great place, nice ambience, good service and priced right. You have to try this one...you will not be disapponted.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went to Mile Away for a much anticipated dinner with two other couples. There was a light snow falling, setting the stage for a very pleasant winter evening.
The décor at the Mile Away is rustic, and a huge fireplace burning away made for the promise of a delightful evening. Even better, our waitress was knowledgeable and ever eager to please. The menu has a full range of choices, important because one of our members is always adventurous, one other always quite conservative. Prices on the menu are very reasonable. What could go wrong?
The answer, in brief, is inconsistency.
We all chose the four course dinner. For an appetizer I chose the Vichyssoise, which was smooth, delightful, and tasty. Not so fortunate were three of my dining mates, who ordered Baked Stuffed Clams, which were bready and had no clam flavor whatsoever. One of our party ordered the Shrimp Cocktail, which had an additional charge, but pronounced it “no better than frozen shrimp at the supermarket”.
The next course, salad, was fair. I had the Caesar salad, along with a couple others in our party. It was generally good, but, instead of shaved cheese that I would have expected, there were lumps of cheese randomly thrown in. This, I know, is nitpicking, but was somewhat detracting.
The entrees were inconsistent. I had the Schweineschnitzel, which was a special. Perfectly breaded, fried to perfection, with a slight taste of ham or bacon, it was perfect. The Swiss potato was wonderful, and a side of beets was perfectly matched to my entrée. My wife ordered duck, which our waitress assured us was a favorite. It came out greasy and fatty, not at all crisp. Another member had Chicken Cordon Bleu, and pronounced it “supremely bland”. Another recommended dish, which a couple of our party ordered, was Seafood Sophia. Both thought it was “OK”, but somewhat overwhelmed by the tomato cream sauce, and a bit overcooked.
Desserts were good, and I did not ask how people enjoyed them, in view of the chorus of criticism that was taking place in our group.
To be fair, our waitress was excellent, and offered to bring something else, or to do anything it would take to make this a good dining experience. She offered to substitute another meal, for instance, to the guest who chose Chicken Cordon Bleu. When we asked him why he hadn’t taken her up on the offer, he simply said “It wasn’t that it was bad, it just wasn’t good. Would everyone want to wait while he ate alone?”
When our bill came one of our party offered to pay, and was surprised to learn that Mile Away does not take American Express, although this is not stated on their web page, nor were we told this when making reservations. Normally this would have been only an inconvenience, but in this case capped off the evening with more complaints.
As I said earlier, I liked Mile Away, I liked my choices, and enjoyed the experience. My table mates were less happy. I gave Mile Away three stars in spite of my good experience, the pleasant décor, and the professional, accommodating waitress because of the inconsistencies our party encountered.

4  Thank SBBNJ
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Enjoyed a wonderful afternoon wedding at Mile Away Restaurant. The rustic look was just what the bride was looking for. It is cozy and adequate for a more intimate indoor wedding, although they do host larger weddings onsite in a tent in warmer wedding. Service was excellent. She had 3 meal options to choose from, and the beef tenderloin was very good. I would enjoy returning for an evening meal again in the future!

1  Thank eppoh4
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Party of 4. We had Wiener Schnitzel, Prime Rib, Scallops and New York Sirloin. Schnitzel was outstanding, as were the Prime Rib (generous portion) and the Scallops. The sirloin was ordered medium-rare. It came medium-well done, If you liked medium-well done, it was great, but after a few bites it just wasn't the way my wife ordered it. The steak itself tasted very good and my wife hates to send back food. The waitress, being very attentive, noticed that she didn't seem 100% satisfied. She asked if it was cooked correctly and my wife said, it's a bit more well done than I prefer but it's o.k. The waitress would hear none of that. She said you ordered it medium-rare and it's obviously not to your liking so I insist on having another made for you. I'll have one in a minute. True to her word, the second sirloin was there in a flash and it was perfect. A kitchen mistake should not sour you to a restaurant, nobody is perfect. If the staff is sharp they will make it right. What would have been a negative review turns into a very positive and enjoyable experience. We look forward to dining at the Mileaway again, very soon!

1  Thank Baystate2
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have been coming here for years and the food, service and atmosphere keep us coming back. The dining area is comfortable and in the winter the large fireplace provides a beautiful warmth to the country atmosphere. The menu always has some specials, but our favorites are the seafood Sophia loaded with shrimp, scallops, lobster and fish, the prime rib or the veal Oscar. Save room for dessert....there is always something on the menu that will tempt you there. We always opt for the full meal from appetizer to dessert for the one price, but you can go for the smaller meal if you want. We have taken large groups there and have also attended functions there and the service for large groups is just as good as for a table of two......attentive, but not overbearing. My husband knows that when there is a special occasion to celebrate he can't go wrong by making reservations at the Mile Away!