“Night out disaster with friends”
Review of Luna Caprese

Luna Caprese
Ranked #31 of 67 Restaurants in Merrimack
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Night out disaster with friends”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was our first time at Luna Caprese. I had heard about it on the radio one morning. The chef was talking about his restaurant and how he made everything from scratch. They were offering 50.00 worth of coupons for 25.00 so I thought what the heck. I love Italian food. We have been to many restaurants in the north end and since he was so passionate about his cooking it sounded great. Well we were greatly disappointed, and slightly embarrassed. We decided to take some friends we haven’t see in a while out for dinner. (FYI , big mistake if you haven’t tried a place first). I had made reservations in advance figuring it would be packed since most of the restaurants we go to are on Friday or Saturday nights. We arrived at 7 and my first impression was not good..We stood at the hostess station for about 5 minutes before a voice from the back yelled “ Be there in a minute!”. If I hadn’t made reservations I would have left. The hostess then seated us at a very plain table with 4 plain chairs. I am very picky and noticed that the candles on all the tables were left unlit…not very welcoming…The décor was nothing to write home about but I figured the food would make up for the lack of ambiance. Other than us the place had a single gentlemen eating by himself and probably two other tables of people the whole night we were there. Our friends arrived and then the fun began. Our waitress made it a point to announce to us that she had not been trained properly and she had no clue about anything on the menu. The service was poor to unacceptable in any fashion. You never tell people you have no clue what you are doing!!! She was right…We ordered malbec, she brought merlot, We ordered san pelegrino, She said they didn’t have it….then when it came to the table it was in fact san pelegino, when we asked her questions about the items on the menu she said she had no idea. The water glasses and wine glasses had noticeable water marks all over them. I ordered salmon with mixed veggies that came with linguine and sauce. My mixed veggies were carrots with onions with some artichoke hearts and black olives. Weird. My friend got a creamy shrimp dish with noodles and spinach. It did taste good but you can tell that it was sitting out a bit…it had a glaze of heat lamp over the top. Our other friend ordered horseradish encrusted sirloin. It came out on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce. Weird. Also it wasn’t encrusted in anything. My husband who loves meatballs. Ordered two and we got a bowl of sauce…not kidding…we had to dig in a bowl of soup to find the dime sized meatballs. The meat and cheese platter was horrible…worst I had ever had…as stated in other reviews the chef (who seems like a really nice guy) comes out to see how everything was? He stood and talked to us for about 25 minutes about the cooking class and how he likes to get feedback. My feedback is this….redecorate, light the candles…set the mood….tablecloths, clean glassware that sparkles….a hostess at the front door. Hire a young kid in the neighborhood if you have too…..regroup….Get rid of the help…..they have no clue…Have a day where you (the chef) hire new people and go over the menu with everyone!!! The pasta was very good….not overdone just right. Your menu is too long and hard to read…..Update your website because first impressions are everything…when I went on it to read up …your home page still said cooking class in September 2013 and its November…..When people go out they want # 1 exceptional service, and food that tastes great!!! I would not go to this restaurant again based on my experience and I still have a 25.00 gift certificate here. Thank god we have good friends. We did apologize for the crazy night and promised a redo.

• Visited November 2013
5 Thank lelda2

Smithfield, Rhode Island
“Worst restaurant experience ever”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Waited 75 minutes for food. It never came. Waitress kept saying they were very busy and it will come soon. Lousy lousy lousy experience. Would never go there again even if meal was free.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank Spotca
Pepperell, Massachusetts
“Best authentic Italian food in the area”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am very fussy about my Italian food and this place passes inspection. Great authentic Italian food. Home made pasta and regional food that is not found in this area. The owner comes from Italy. Forget the Olive Garden and go to this place. I had brascaule, a stuffed steak. So tender! I had it as a kid and never see it on a menu. It was served with pene pasta that was home made. What a treat. My husband had a nice salad and home made soup. All soups are home made and not loaded with salt. The warm home made bread was delicious in the dipping oil. There is a full bar with many wines to choose from.
The server was very professional and attended to all our needs. She seemed to love working there and after learning how the owner's 80 year old mother made the ravioli and gnocchi by hand, I bought some to take home.
The prices were typical and reasonable for the quality of the food. My husband had lunch there and they offer a light portion. He thought it was so good that he brought me there. The menu was quite large and I was told that I could make special requests if I needed to.
The atmosphere is cute with authentic Italian decorations. There is a sports bar downstairs that is busy during games. The restaurant upstairs has booths and tables. The bathroom was very clean. I peeked into the kitchen and saw it was very clean too.
The restaurant is located via Harris Pond and Budweiser Brewery. I drove by there many times and never stopped. Will I go back? Yes!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank travelingteacher51
nashua
“Taste of Italy”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Love the food, all made to order. You can add subtract or order anything and if he has the ingredients he will make it. Had chicken and shrimp over pasta in Gorgonzola sauce. Delicious. My husband had a squid dish that was the best he had ever eaten. Kitchen immaculate, food can take a little time if they are busy. order appetizers and have a drink, we'll worth it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank binkins
Merrimack, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Food and Great Atmosphere!!!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you're looking for the perfect Italian getaway dinning experience with outstanding 5 star quality cuisine, Luna Caprese is the place for you and your family. Somewhere, nestled in the beautiful town of Merrimack is a little hidden gem that features all the great tastes of the old Italian countrisde without actually having to go to Italy to experience it. Luna Caprese was, hands down, the best dinning experience i've ever had!!! It's atmosphere and food brings a small peice of Italy to Merrimack NH. The dinning hall was lively and the staff was exteremly knowledgable. In fact, I was able to meet the chef who was exteremely friendly. He introduced a few samples (on the house) from his upcoming menu that were absolutely breathtaking. If your looking for the best Italian meal in all of New England, I would suggest Luna Caprese. Enjoy!!

• Visited May 2013