“Great atmosphere upstairs and good food”

The Homestead Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 67 Restaurants in Merrimack
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great atmosphere upstairs and good food”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love the roaring fireplaces in here, it really gives a great feel to the place. It can get busy around 7pm and is popular with an older crowd but don't let that put you off. The food is good with a tasty chilli in the cold nights and generally good service and prices

1 Thank scotsroadwarrior

Merrimack, NH
“Veterans' Day Prime Rib”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This veterans' day I brought 3 other veterans who no longer drive to the Homestead here in Merrimack. The price was great - free. We rated the prime rib from "the best meal I've had in my life" to "this was a superb meal." The restaurant was comfortable and clean. The service was great. The staff honored us for our service to our country when we were young. In the twilight of our lives we are truly grateful when we are thanked for putting our lives between the enemies of our country and our people back home.

The Homestead is not someplace I would go instead of the food court at a mall. It is someplace I go to for a special occasion and a special dining experience. The regular prices are in line with most upscale restaurants, but only half what an exquisite restaurant charges. I have dined at the Homestead with my wife and we keep it at the top of our list for special occasions.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Chuck R
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My daughter and I were looking for a place other than the Food Court at the new Outlet Stores for lunch, and found the Homestead Restaurant just a couple of miles away. It was enjoyable, but nothing out of the ordinary. I had the grilled salmon, which was almost cold when it arrived. My daughter had soup and a wrap, which were average. We decided to forgo dessert based on the lunch, but as we left and saw the desserts in a case by the register, it looked as if everything were homemade. It was definitely a step or two up from the food court, and being the only other non-chain restaurant in the vicinity, we would probably eat there again. It also would have been better had we been seated in the room with the fireplace.

• Visited November 2012
Hudson, New Hampshire
“Very nice dinner for my daughter's birthday”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a wonderful experience here. The Host/Hostess were very nice and greeted us promptly. They chatted with the waiting guests. When we were seated our server was absolutely fantastic. She was personable and talkative. She delivered our order promptly and flawlessly. We had a six adults and a child so it wasn't the easiest table to serve. We had a member with a gluten allergy. She was able to order from the gluten free menu and they allowed us to bring ion our own cake for our celebration. They even refrigerated it for us while we ate.
The food was fantastic also. Everyone was completely pleased with their meal.

1 Thank Lance J
NH
“The food and service were great, prices are TOO HIGH”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We visited the Homestead restaurant in Merrimack for the first time today.

We had three people in our party and we each ordered an entree and a drink (2 beers and 1 soda). We did not try any appetizers or desserts. They serve crackers with a cottage cheese based dip when you first arrive as well as a basket of rolls and sweet bread for your meal which is a really nice touch. The service was spot on. Everything arrived at the table in a reasonable amount of time and we felt very well taken care of by the wait staff. The portions are also very generous.

The only negative was with the temperature of the baked potatoes. They were not hot enough. It tasted like they were reheated. We did not complain or ask for them to be replaced.

This is a casual restaurant which leads you to expect reasonable prices. Our dinner check was $80. By the time we left a tip we had spent almost $100 for a simple meal for three people. Although the service was excellent we will not likely return due to the high prices.

1 Thank Ed_n_SueNh
bzaccardo, Manager at The Homestead Restaurant, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Ed and Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We appreciate all feedback...positive and negative.

I am glad that your overall experience was very positive. In response to your baked potato I can assure you that they are baked fresh every day and that your potato was not typical of what is normally served.

As far as our prices points...we do strive to put high quality fresh ingredient on your plate. We don't cut corners on quality to save a little bit of money on food cost. Our portions are large and we include cheese and crackers, unlimited hot rolls and sweetbread and a choice of two side dishes on most items at no additional cost. Also, we do offer less expensive items on our regular dinner menu. Those items are on the "Tavern" panel and range from $7-$15 (burgers, flat-bread pizza's and sandwiches as well as comfort food staples like chicken pot pie, meatloaf, and home-style mac and cheese). These items can be ordered anytime in any section of the restaurant.

Again, thank you very much for the high rating. I will bring your feedback to our next menu meeting and we will reassess our price points to make sure that customers are getting their value's worth. We do value your opinion and hope that you will consider dining with us in the future.