“High price for low quality”
Review of Florences Restaurant - CLOSED

Florences Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“High price for low quality”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I have driven past here so many times that we decided that we really need to try this place and now that we have we dont need to go back. Firstly its a big place inside with what seems like a hard core group of locals propping up the bar area. The dining area is not fancy and salad dressing is given to you in a huge plastic container to self serve. The food came pretty quickly but it was not a patch on a chain place such as olive garden and it just didnt give us that home made feel. In fact only one of the deserts offered is actually made on site. Its a handy location for locals who want to eat out and not travel to do so but its over priced and 'rough' for what you get, we won't be heading back.

3 Thank scotsroadwarrior

NH
“Sliding Downhill”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I have been here many times. At first it was wonderful but as you can see by reading some of the other reviews, this place isn't what it used to be. It is running hot and cold from time to time. One time it is good, the next time it is very poor. The last time we dinned here my wife had the mussels. Not only did they smell very badly but they were way overcooked, maybe to hide the fact that they were so old. My meal was just OK but at least it wasn't spoiled like my wife's. The service was also poor considering they were slow. Like I said, it all depends on the night, sometimes it's good, others it is bad. The long and short of this is, at least for me, when I spend money on a meal I would like some consistency and this place just doesn't have it.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Tim W
Merrimack, New Hampshire
“No need to go to Boston!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Florence's is Boston's North End without driving into the city! The food is excellent Italian in a relaxed casual setting. Start with the mussels marinara (fra diavolo if you like it hotter). The sauce is fantastic with plenty left for dipping your bread! My favorites are the calamari fra diavolo-you wont find a more tender melt in your mouth calamari anywhere! Or if you want to go big try the frutti di mari, the presentation is awesome and the seafood delicious. If Florence is in the house make sure to strike up a conversation, she loves to chat and make you feel at home!

Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
“Surprisingly good!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went into Florence's because a recommended restaurant had a 2-hour wait. I liked the fact that there was a reference to Boston's North End on the sign as well, since my family has roots there. Inside, the restaurant was bigger and had more variety on the menu than I expected by its "casual Italian dining" advertised. It was decorated with poinsettias and bustling with activity, but the wait was only 5 minutes. We were immediately brought bread and ice water, and a menu and wine list. It's one of those places where a team of people are waiting on you, and the service was amazing. The owner came around to make sure everyone was satisfied, and we were. The veal dishes we ordered tasted "like mama used to make," and the prices were reasonable.

• Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pros & Cons”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

"Florence's" has been around for many years. My and my husband's earlier experiences though were better than our more recent experience. This will unfortunately result in less frequent returns.

Pros - Food is tasty, broad menu, pleasant environment.

Cons - Sometimes it's best not to take steps which appear to cut corners or get "stingy".

For example, portion sizes appear to have been reduced. In particular, the "family style salad" - included with the meal (a good thing) appears to have been markedly reduced in size (bad).

A second example - "dipping oil" (olive oil with spices) for bread. A standard in most decent Italian restaurants - and of little cost to prepare. I cannot remember ever being charged extra for this at any restaurant. Yet - we were charged extra for it here - a bit offensive.

True, nothing is perfect. However, as the restaurant business becomes increasingly competitive, it would appear as though the little things - which people always notice - can readily have a negative impact on repeat business.

Sometimes the attempt to shave a few pennies here and there to cut costs - has the opposite effect on profit margin - resulting in decreases as a result of their negative impact on customer satisfaction.

We hope that the Owners consider this opinion and revise their approach.

We may be completely wrong in our opinion. And that's all this is - just an opinion. Others will have their opinion. Do your research and form your own opinion.

1 Thank Objective-NotPC