“Great Tavern Atmosphere”

Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Meredith
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Super food and atmosphere. Excellent service. Cannot reserve so make sure you get there early and put your name on the list to be called as it is very popular.

1  Thank SwindonRobin

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were looking forward to going to Camp-- took a look at the menu online and other reviews. When we got there, we were told (by the manager no less) that the wait would be 45 minutes. So, we stuck around. 2 hours later we were seated. In that time we kept checking in and were told that they had large party and many 'call ahead' seating. They offered a complimentary round if drinks and appetizer (which was nice) but the manager didn't impress us with his blasé attitude. After all that....the food wasn't even that good. Go elsewhere if you're in Meredith!

1  Thank Vegetarianvixen
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I visited this establishment because of the positive reviews. However, after we sat down and reviewed the menu, we felt the prices were too high and it was extremely limited. When you first arrive - we were greeted with self serve crackers and dip - this is the first time I have ever experienced this and it was nice. The restaurant is very rustic looking and nice cozy atmosphere. We were pleasantly greeted by our waiter who appeared familiar with the menu - actually he read us the specials first. At that time we realized we were never handed menus. Unfortunately, after we reviewed, we decided this place was not for us. We told the door greeter this - and he was actually very pleasant and offered us suggestions for another place.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Camp is quite rustic and very buzzy We sat at the Bar to eat .We both had pork which was delicious ,the staff are very friendly,it is a place where you would have to book a table.

1  Thank sunshine1970-11
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was torn between a 3 or a 4 rating, but considering it was my own entree instead of my husband's that just wasn't that great, I guess I can rate. It was not all bad, though. Our server was friendly, nice, and the manager did come by to ask how things were. I should have been honest, but I am not that way in restaurants unless something is just plain awful or uncooked.

Onion soup was very good, my husband also enjoyed the chowder.
The bisquits were good and "interesting", who'd have thought white chocolate bisquits with orange butter would be good, but they were. I wish everything else was that good.
Then, it comes to the entree. Firstly, I can't eat nuts and seeds due to a medical issue and I think there was some kind of nut in the rice pilaf, didn't dare eat anymore. If it wasn't nuts, I wonder what it was in there? I wish nuts and seeds would be clearly identified for people such as myself. I could have ordered and enjoyed something different. Lots of people can't have nuts. I didn't think I had to ask about a rice pilaf, but I guess I have learned my own lesson.
My butternut squash that had maple or something sweet in it was good.
But, my baked haddock was a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 - 10. Sorry, guys, but if you serve either frozen or older seafood to New Englanders, it just does not work. I should know better than to order fish in a restaurant when it is a bit off-season for tourism? If we are back there again, no seafood for this girl there for sure. But, I have been there before and thought I remembered having that haddock and it was great that time. I had scallops there before and they were also quite good, so was it an off night? I don't know.
I couldn't tell if the Haddock was just "old" or frozen, but it sure wasn't fresh at all. My husband had the lobster mac 'n cheese, which he enjoyed, but he also felt the lobster was previously frozen. He doesn't mind lobster when it's been frozen as much as I do, and he did enjoy it, though.

My suggestion to the manager/chef: If you can't stand behind your seafood as 100% fresh and not frozen and not "old" then just simply say to your customers when they are seated "We are sorry but we have been unable to maintain a supply, this time of year, of fresh haddock or lobster. We will use previously frozen lobster meat in recipes, but we wish to tell our customers."
Take it off the menu or identify it as frozen, at least. I have often been in a place where we have been simply told when seated that a certain menu item is unavailable. I would rather have chosen the chicken with the brie cheese sauce that I had been debating about on the menu than had old or frozen fish. If I were manager or chef there, I would simply cut off a tiny piece (there was a large portion and more than I would have eaten) of all fresh seafood items at the beginning of my shift, steam them and taste them for freshness. If they are frozen, well, just tell us customers please. I couldn't tell if it was old or frozen, to be honest, but I think it was just "old".
Yes, I should have spoken to the manager about this last night, but I just find that confrontation difficult. And, if she had taken it back to get me something else, I'd have sat there while my husband would have felt obligated to not eat until something else was delivered for me. I wanted him to enjoy his dinner.
Everything else was fine, particularly the server Amanda. Service was good and food came on time even though there was a wedding going on in another part of the building. That was nice.
We will come back next summer, but I sure know what I am not going to order. Or, a very serious freshness and frozen conversation will be had when placing the order.
Again, no harm in just saying, we stand behind the items on the menu and our haddock had not been as fresh as we would like it to be and we will not serve it. The day before you consider it "old" just make a fish chowder and put it on special please, don't put it on my plate. Making a fish chowder with haddock and other ingredients will use up that inventory before it just get's "dead" tasting. I buy my haddock fresh and cook it that day, not sure what a restaurant policy is for that kind of thing, but I would think two days, tops? Third day, chowder time, or end of the second day?
I was full enough when I left as the cheese and crackers, bisquits, onion soup and squash were enough for me, but I should have enjoyed the fish too. I take responsibility for the rice, as i must learn to question nuts and seeds more, and I am learning that. I have Diverticulosis and nuts and seeds can trigger a severe and deadly attack. So, my new approach is to begin asking the server at the beginning of every meal.
Sorry for a semi-bad review, but I have to be honest here. I think reviews are important.
I do love the atmosphere in Camp, by the way, very rustic and nice. I hope the chef/manager reads this and thinks seriously about seafood.
By the way, did you ever notice that the Red Lobster chain used to have several New England restaurants and closed them? Why is that? Well, you can't serve frozen seafood to New Englanders, they know better. In the mid-west or in other areas of the country, perhaps they don't know better - which is sad.