“Not a quiet spot”

Church Landing at Mill Falls
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meredith
“Not a quiet spot”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Rated #1 in Meredith but either at wrong end of property or Wolfboro, or rent a lake home, would have been far better. We chose newest, most expensive Lodges. The pretty grassy area between the rooms and the lake with miniature "couples beach" was shared by a good number of large families with lots of kids playing loud lawn games like beanbags. We thought that being by the adults only pool that it would be quieter. An older cottage shares the tiny common area with the new Lodges. We won't be returning but perhaps we did inadequate research. We had to move rooms within the same building because the rooms book far in advance. Our first room cost the same as neighboring rooms with windows that opened to the outside air. We also had a darker more cramped version of the rooms on either side of us. Our room was stuffy, dark,and gloomy despite new furnishings. Housekeeping was minimal for the 2 weeks. The manager finally gave us what I thought was an inadequate compensation. My usually mellow husband grew tired of this man failing to call us back and offer more than excuses for why the charge for this room was $10 less than the spacious, airy rooms on either side of us. Week 2 saw a very nice room but it was always noisy as I described above. Fortunately we spent a lot of time hiking and kayaking in nearby towns, but we really had hoped to read a lot and lounge in a relatively peaceful place. A walk around the property made me think that some of the older, cheaper rooms away from the dock and couple's beach , along the edge of the lake would have been quieter. Might be good place for a family reunion. Not a romantic 25th wedding anniversary. Older staff at front desk always seemed put out. Young folks pleasant.

2 Thank Dukecurran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Bristol, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I ordered the sword fish special with my usual concern of would it be over cooked or under cooked. Sword fish is very hard to get cooked exactly right. Our meals showed up looking great and the first bite proved the sword fish to be melt in your mouth tender and tasty.

The bar tender was also perfect service-wise. He was attentive but not obtrusive. What a relaxing environment and very good meal. I would have picked a rating of excellent except the bread was just ok and the olive oil we asked for was also just ok.

Holliston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Inn at Mills Falls, Church Landing was spectacular, as all of the other reviews say. Staff is A++ and the location is downright impossible to beat. There is something so intrinsically relaxing about looking out from your room onto the beautiful lake...whether it be for the sunrise, watching the activity during the day, or the peacefulness as night falls.
Our only issue was with maintenance. The toilet ran. All night. I took it apart, jiggled it, but it was non-stop. No sense calling the front desk at 2am, so I just shut off the water to the toilet. Also, both the sink and the tub had horribly slow drains....shower, and you were up to your shins by the end.
Little things, yes. Did they ruin our weekend? No. It did take it down a bit, and was the only reason that I didn't give a perfect rating. Don't hesitate to go, just don't assume you will automatically get perfection.

3 Thank Chiefy
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to Mills Falls since 2001 (our 1st wedding anniversary and also the week after we purchased our first boat). We stayed in the only room available at the time (a relatively small room in the Inn at Mills Falls -- the original property) and loved the feel of the resort. The following year we tried Bay Point -- which was quaint and lovely -- and was then home to the Boathouse Grille (now moved to Church Landing and renamed the "Lakehouse Grille", but still serves that amazing lobster corn chowder!). We probably would have continued staying there, except that the following year they built the amazing Church Landing facility, which we have been staying at ever since. As boat owners, the free docking is not only a "plus",it was an essential part of our choosing this amazing resort. Every year it gets better and better -- most recently with the addition of the water sports facility and the new Lodges as Church Landing. And, the spa is definitely a "can't miss" experience.

Last year we made the mistake of bringing the kids with us on our romantic getaway -- I only say it was a mistake becaus now they want to come every year!

This is by far our very favorite trip of the year. That is not a complement to be taken lightly when one considers that both my husband and I travel all over the world and have stayed in many 5 star resorts. We just love the hominess and feel of the Mills Falls Resort, and that is what will bring us back again and again for years to come. (We even styled our own lake house after it -- with nearly identical decor and styling -- but that won't keep us from coming back!).

Room Tip: If you can, stay at Church Landing, although Bay Point is wonderful as well!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you have a short time to get away. No need to waste time looking for a number of reviews to make your decision. Service here is equal to a GOOD DISNESY experience! You can do as much or as little as you want . Accommodations are great and food is excellent! First time I witnessed paddleboard yoga. Wish I was younger and more flexible it looked like fun

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a lake view, it is worth every penny, unless you are just sleeping there a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for only one night and I could have easily stayed for more. Everything is wonderful about this place from the moment you set foot inside. The greeting at the desk, the air conditioning, the setting and THE ROOMS!! Incredible beds with great air conditioning, balcony and view of the lake. And so quiet you can sleep with the doors open. The bar is comfy and friendly with an excellent choice of wines by the glass and some nice snacks. I wish I had more time and will definitely return the next time I want a quiet peaceful break from the city.

Room Tip: I always recommend the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abstraction
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I took our two kids for a 4th of July getaway and decided to stay in this room, since that was all they had left available. The room itself was beautiful, and the bathroom is spectacular, with a huge tub and lovely decor, even a separate toilet room. The views outside the window are beautiful and the lake is gorgeous. The 'plunge pool' is a joke. We didn't even bother getting in, being that it was filthy and the water was very hot (from the weather, not that it was heated) and gross-feeling. They shouldn't have a so-called bennie like that, if it's not kept up properly, that just leaves you feeling taken advantage of. What my main complaint is, is that for $500+ a night, I would expect to at least comfortably find a spot in front of the lake. But there happened to be about 20 people (including several noisy children, toddlers included....stomping around beating on our ceiling till almost midnight) staying in the room directly above us. You could hear them every time they loudly beat their way up and down the stairs, too. I think the people staying upstairs must have checked in and then invited all their drinking buddies to join them there. They took up the entire space in front of the lake, all the chairs, and basically made it IMPOSSIBLE to enjoy the amazing spot that this room is located in. When they would walk down from their room, they pass right in front of the window and you basically feel like you have no privacy whatsoever. I was extremely disappointed about this and when I complained at the desk upon checkout, there's basically a 'who cares' policy there. Noticed that when I made the reservation too, incidentally. This is not a place for someone looking for some peaceful enjoyment on your vacation.

Room Tip: I only mark cleanliness down because of the plunge pool. The bed was very comfortable. The sofa be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank loudpeoplearethepits
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meredith
Mill Falls at the Lake
Nutmeg Inn
Nutmeg Inn
#2 of 6 in Meredith
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Church Landing at Mill Falls? Share your experiences!