“Nice room, but not a peaceful night's sleep.”

Mill Falls at the Lake
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Meredith
Ware, Massachusetts
“Nice room, but not a peaceful night's sleep.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I decided to go all out this past weekend and stayed in the Bell Tower Room at the inn. As far as I could tell it was the most expensive room they offered, so my expectations were high. Parking was a little difficult to find, especially when you don't know the area and you arrive in the dark. The very small sign finally pointed us in the right direction, after we drove by it the first time.
The check-in was rather quick and easy, seeing as I had already paid fully for the room I expected this to be smooth. We didn't mind going up the stairs to the room, but I was expecting to be in the bell tower of the inn. That's the main reason for staying here. Well, not only were we not in the true bell tower, we weren't even in the "inn" section of the complex. See, the inn is connected directly to the marketplace, with shops and restaurants. Well, our room was apparently right above a restaurant. The restaurant was good, don't get me wrong, but after enjoying a meal at it, we retired and went to bed for what I was expecting to be a restful night. I couldn't have been more wrong.
I am not the most deep sleeper, but neither am I the lightest sleeper. That said, it took me a while to fall asleep as people kept walking by our room rather noisily well past midnight. I got up a few times to make sure our door was closed as I thought they were coming up the stairs. That's how clearly I could hear them. Well, once I was asleep, I jumped awake around 2:15am to a slamming door! I settled back down, and as I was finally falling back to sleep, another door slam. This continued regularly every 15 to 20 minutes until 7am! Exhausted, I drifted off to sleep again, only to be woken at 7:30am by a vacuum cleaner!
When I checked out, the people at the desk asked how my stay was, and when I said it was only alright and explained why, they said it must have been the restaurant and will inform them. I stayed in plenty of places that charge over $200 a night, and this one ranks on my worst experiences. Oh, and this $200+/night room doesn't even include breakfast.
A few of the other distractions in the bell tower room: dusty surfaces, especially the gas fireplace; cobwebs hanging from the sprinkler heads; dust bunnies and a pine cone under the bed (as if they never clean here...how can you miss a pine cone!?!?); an unfinished bathroom (the tub looks like it was slapped in and never finished. There's a 2 or 3 inch gap between the base/side of the tub and the wall. Worse of all, there's trim with exposed nails at this unfinished edge, so anyone could get hurt.); having to ask for shampoo at the front desk because the "cleaning" staff never left any; the whirlpool tub can be a bit excessive and unruly (for instance, I thought I turned it off and was enjoying a relaxing soak when the jets came back on after 10 minutes or so.); and there's no real view from the balcony like I was told (to see the lake, you have to peer around the adjacent roof; to see the falls, you have to peer over the attached roof).
All in all, this doesn't rank on my list of must return to places. I suggest if you must stay here, save yourself some money and restless sleep and stay in a normal room. The "upgrades" aren't worth it in the long run.

Room Tip: Do not pick the Bell Tower, even if it sounds like an intriguing room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikerwarewolf
MillFalls_Management, Public Relations Manager at Mill Falls at the Lake, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are terribly sorry that the Bell Tower Room did not provide you with the cozy stay that you had anticipated. We take your comments seriously and are working to improve the items you noted. We strive daily to offer a quality product and experience for our guests and it is unfortunate that we fell short on your visit. We do hope that you will return and allow us the opportunity to do better.

Mill Falls Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

One of our favorites! Park your car once you arrive and enjoy walking to everything. Lots of delicious dining options, cute shops and a fabulous spa. Comfortable rooms, great service and beautiful location. Lots to do all year round. We highly recommend staying here for a relaxing getaway any time of year. Enjoy lounging by the fire on a chilly day or sitting out by the lake during the summer months. Great pools, fitness center and cozy common areas to kick your feet up and enjoy a book while gazing out at gorgeous Lake Winnepesauke. We have enjoyed numerous stays over the last several years and continue to return back. Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed December 2011
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife and I just traveled through the New England states to view the fall foliage. We had been to this area 20 years ago with our children. Now it was a trip for just us.

We arrived in Meredith, late in the day after visiting many different sites in Northern Maine and upper New Hampshire. We did not have any agenda for each days travels and started and stopped each day whenever we wanted. We spotted the Mill Falls Inn as we drove by. We turned around and inquired abour a room and found they had one right off the lobby area for us. I worried about noise, but never heard a thing throughout the night. We stayed in room 226, a beautiful room with two queen beds, each with enough pillows for 4 people. Great place to stay.
The inn is attached to 9 shops that are all connected from the inside of the building. The waterfall outside travel under the building and add to the charm of the hotel. There was a coffee shop/ restaurant down the hall and the young ladies who worked there moved so quickly, I got tired just watching them. Great plact for breakfast. There is the Lake across the street and with all of the beautiful trees in the area in their fall colors, this was a great place to stay. We will add this to our list of places to stay next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Although our room was right around the corner from the lobby, do not be afraid to stay there as it w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Orleans
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Our second stay at the inn was as great as the first. Manager Gail Batstone and her staff go above and beyond in every aspect of Innkeeping. We were at the conference for New England Inns and Resorts. From the moment we walked in to the check out we were in awe of the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Trust the judgement of the front desk. They will do their best for you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Upstate New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed for one night and attended a wedding on the premises. Check in was a breeze with an exceptionally pleasant front desk. Everyone was so warm and welcoming. The area around the Inn is charming and very New England. Our room was clean and cozy. This is a very nice place to stay and the price is right if you're looking for a room in the Meredith area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Centerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The I@MF is part of a resort comprised of 5 separate but centrally located Inns on Lake Winnipesaukee in Meredith, NH.
We drove up from Cape Cod & had never been to the NH Lakes Region. I was lucky to have scored 2 nights in a pet friendly Lakeview room at the last minute. The Staff was polite, efficient & professional, enthusiastic during the reservation process & upon our arrival. They provided bedding, 2 bowls, a dogmat, & some dog cookies to my little Bassett Hound upon arrival which was very thoughtful. During check-in the staff gave me a brief description of the amenities including the indoor pool, jacuzzi, as well as the neighboring shops, restaurants & boutiques.
The lobby is tastefully appointed & has a wondeful fireplace with a sitting area complete with a complimentary tea, hot cocoa & coffee area & a small gift shop.
The pool & jacuzzi area were spacious & clean & did NOT have a overwhelming smell of chlorine that so many places have.
Our room was a spacious, corner room with a sitting area & bathroom & closet area. They had matelasse coverlet & a lovely soft, thick duvet on the Queen sized bed. The bed was very comfortable. It was extremely clean & again, nicely appointed.
We had a lovely, restful, & comfy stay at this property. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this property. It is located in a great area of the Lakes region. The town is lovely. All the townspeople were extremely friendly, helpful & gracious. WE WILL BE BACK & WILL BE TELLING OTHERS OF OUR WONDERFUL STAY!

• Stayed October 2012
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Inn at Mill Falls is a lovely setting in Meredith Nh on Lake Winnipesaukee. You can walk to shops, restaurants and the Lake. The rooms are very neat and pleasant, there is an indoor pool and ho ttub, complimentary coffee in the lobby...great spot. And I am a fussy travel writer for luxuryskitrips.com ; - )

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meredith
Church Landing at Mill Falls
#2 of 6 in Meredith
Center Harbor Inn
Center Harbor Inn
#1 of 3 in Center Harbor

Been to Mill Falls at the Lake? Share your experiences!