“Facelift Needed”

Mill Falls at the Lake
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Meredith
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. Great location, plenty to do. The hotel could use new rugs. The rug was stained in the room and in all the common areas. The bed was very uncomfortable. The room had a very musty smell. My husband thought it may have been caused by the pool. Our room was over the pool area. He had sinus headaches and I did not feel well either.

One minor thing - no safe in he room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DianaSheltra

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We spent a late August Sunday & Monday night at the Boathouse Lodge. Our room featured a balcony with 2 rockers overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee, & on our first morning we awoke to a pink sunrise & dancing reflections of the lake water on our ceiling. Pretty sweet. Coffee, tea, yoghurt, fruit, & granola, muffins, pastry in various combinations awaited just down the hall each morning. On our first morning, we sat on the balcony, munched, & read. Lovely & serene. Our second morning was at first overcast, and we discovered in one of the several lounge areas several copies of the Boston Globe & New York Times. We flicked on the lounge's gas fireplace and settled in for a peaceful, coffee-fueled read of the not-so-peaceful news.
The Adirondack decor - in both our room and in common areas - was tasteful and lovely. Our room, complete with sofa & its own gas fireplace, was comfy. The king-sized bed was back-friendly & comfortable. Our balcony overlooked lawn, lake, & pool (indoor-outdoor), & spa.
The lake waters were clear & lovely, & the inn supplies a raft in comfortable swimming distance. No lifeguard.
While the enclosed portion of the pool seemed small & chorine-smelling to us, there seemed always to be a band of happy kids swimming in it. A second & separate outdoor area is a designated "adult" lawn area with another small indoor pool. (I can't remember if it was indoor-outdoor as well.)
The Inn supplies lounge chairs, blue striped beach towels, & adirondack chairs aplenty, and the small beach & large grassy areas were raked & cleaned each morning.
During our 3 days at the Lodge, the waterfront never seemed crowded or rowdy. The water, lawn, & sky seemed to take center stage. I've had the same feeling during stays at Maine's Inn-by-the-Sea in Cape Elizabeth where even large weddings seem to be enveloped by the beautiful surroudings. With the obvious difference that Inn-by-the-Sea is next to the sea instead of a lake, the two lovely inns seem similar to me.

The friendly people at the front desk were most helpful about everything from boat rentals to restaurants.
The only negative was the discovery of glass in the water - off to the right of the main swimming area towards docks & the adult area- by a group of goggle-wearing middle school kids who reported that while there was glass in the water, there was "less glass than last year."

We'd return in a heartbeat, and we will. We were delighted to learn that each of the four Inns at Mill Falls seems to feature one or two dog-friendly units. In fact, we were delighted to see a dog frolicking with its family in the water.
The restaurants associated with the 4 inns are all run by the Common Man Group, and the two at which we dined were excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MFKMassachusetts
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had a wonderful mid week vacation at The Inn at Mill Falls. The rooms were nice, quiet and clean with housekeeping services daily. So enjoyed room service from the Waterfall Cafe, which is connected to the Inn with adjacent shops. My son loved the waterfall and really enjoyed looking over the balcony watching it. The Inn is located right in the middle of town, across the street from the lake. Looking forward to going back next year!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Inn at Mills Falls and was also able to enjoy the amenities at their other locations including Church Landing. This was for a girls weekend trip, but I would definitely return here with my significant other. The rooms were well appointed and reminded me of a country inn. The bathroom had a terrycloth shower curtain and was a lot bigger than most chain hotels. The beds were comfortable and the location can't be beat...walking distance to everything. Although this hotel is the most economical of the four properties it was well decorated and had a very cozy feel. It is obvious that they take great pride in their establishment.

The Spa is overpriced for the services received, but the spa facilities themselves were top notch. The pool and hot tubs at Church Landing were awesome with a wait staff there to take your drink or lunch order. The pool at the Inn at Mill Falls was nice as well with an added bonus of a hot tub that was not advertised on their site. The hot tub at the Inn at Mill Falls was small, but very adequate and a happy convenience.

I would return to the Inn at Mill Falls or any of their sister properties!

Room Tip: If staying on the lower level (and having to carry your bags up a few stairs) doesn't bother you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We enjoyed our room at the Inn at Mills Falls very much. We had a balcony overlooking Lake Winnipessaukee, a fireplace and a spacious and cozy room. There was a pool in the hotel, complimentary coffee and a wonderful restaurant, open for breakfast and lunch, connected to the hotel and the rest of the shoppes. The location of this hotel, in the very center of Meredith is perfect. The Mount Washington (large boat) leaves from the dock and there are a large number of restaurants and boutique shoppes in town, all within walking distance. All and all, it was a great stay.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Although at a conference, I've been able to find time to enjoy this delightful lakeside hotel. The Cathedral Suite's double doors open onto a narrow but adequate balcony overlooking a peaceful sprit of Lake Winni. The grounds are bordered by a wooden lake edge walkway you can stroll to restaurants, docks and town. A beautiful, quiet respite.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Slowhand54
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Having only stayed here once I am limited in the info I can offer, but the biggest impression I got is that they work hard at making guests feel welcome. They are pet friendly, provide 24 hour automatic coffee service in the lobby, have comfortable seating scattered throughout the building along with a variety of newspapers, and the people at the desk were pleasant. The lake is right across the street (some nice Adirondack chairs in the lawn to enjoy the view). My room was good sized, very clean and the bed was comfortable. I was very surprised that the hotel had fire sprinklers only in the common areas and hallways - but not in the rooms! I was on the 5th floor (technically 3rd story I think) and the inn is a rambling, wood frame constructed building, so to me that is a very surprising lapse of safety (though probably meets the local codes). Along those lines, I was also shocked that the shower/tub did not have a grab bar. One last complaint - the parking isn't ample or convenient. Someone who isn't very strong will find it a bit of a struggle to get from the lower lot uphill to the entry, even with the luggage carts that they provide. I don't know how this inn compares to other properties around the lake but it looks well cared for and the flowers, lawn, etc. are very pretty. Certainly the close proximity to the water and the grassy area around it is a huge benefit. Also easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. Finally, the room rate seemed very fair.

Room Tip: There are several buildings at this property. One (Chase House I believe) is on the lake side. You...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank megrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meredith
Church Landing at Mill Falls
#1 of 3 in Center Harbor
Nutmeg Inn
Nutmeg Inn
#2 of 6 in Meredith

Been to Mill Falls at the Lake? Share your experiences!