“UnComfort Inn”

Comfort Inn Airport
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 18, 2014

First, let me start by saying, i am not a picky person when it comes to a hotel. I do not expect 5 star service when i stay at a 2 star hotel. I regularly stay at budget hotels like Motel 6, Rodeway, Knights Inn, and others. When i stay at hotels like Comfort Inn, although still a 2 star hotel, they are usually a notch above those other budget hotels i previously mentioned. Unfortunatley, this one was not. In no particular order, here is a list of less than satisfactory things i found with this Comfort inn:
-Very cold in pool area. Water was warmer than the room itself.
-Pool rock floor is breaking apart. Uncomfortable to walk on the loose broken stones.
-Pool decor, the rusty lockers, very old tables (all looked like they were charity donated)
-Requested a microwave. It was not in room. Had to call a second time to get it.
-Requsted 12:30 late checkout. Granted, but the next morning, rude staff called and asked if we were staying or leaving. Told him we had requested the late checkout. He was not aware of it.
-Room pillows were old and flat.
-High speed internet was useless, even after calling customer support. Constantly getting disconnected
-Room needed maintenance. Looks like they made the room larger, but did not finish constructing it. No baseboards near windows. Cut and patch carpet, etc etc.
-VERY dirty behind the chair, in addition to the chair arms themselves appeared dark/dirty.
I am not a very picky person when i stay at hotels. I do not expect 5 star service at a 2 star establishment. I regularly stay at budget hotels such as Motel 6, Rodeway, Knights, etc etc. Usually when i go to Comfort inn, they are a notch above these hotels, but unfortunatly that was not the case here.
In no particular order, here is a list of things that fell below my expectations for a Comfort inn.
-Carpet due for a shampoo.
-Breakfast sausage and egg tasted undercooked or microwaved. Decent selection, just not that decent in the taste in compairson to other Choice hotels.
-Surprised to see a "tip jar" at the breakfast table.
-Cold in hallways. Staff said it was because of the hotel entry door. Really? Don't all hotels have doors? I thought it was because they did not have the heat turned up.
-Battery cover on TV remote was missing.
-Room bathroom toilet looks like one you see in a high school, or rest area with the big metal pump flusher.
-Some of these issues are minor, some are major, but all in all, everything seemed just a notch below average for a budged hotel, and 2 notches below average for a Cmfort inn. I expected better

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Greg D
gm_manchester, General Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. We apologize for the issues you encountered and can assure you that the items mentioned will be addressed. We are in the process of an update and that is why the room has an 'unfinished' look which is only temporary. We appreciate the information and, once again, apologize for any inconveniences. We hope that you will return again when visiting Manchester.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Ok, so the best things about this place first:

1. Friendly and accommodating staff.
2. Free airport shuttle
3. Complimentary breakfast
4. Close to the airport and the bus station (if you need another way to get to Boston)
5. Enterprise car rental located right next door
6. Nice heating
7. Small exercise room with 3 machines including a treadmill
8. Gas station and Applebee's across the street
9. Nice desk and chair for me to get some work done

Some of the faults included:
1. Some of the towels had some strange stains, but I was able to find a few that didn't have yellow or red specks.
2. Pool was closed for renovation (I don't swim so that was okay)
3. Heard some yelling from a customer in the lobby one night. It was a bit frightening, but I heard a lady stand her ground and asked him to leave.
4. Noticed some white plaster or something in two corners of the room (minor issue for me)

So, after a horrible flight and issues with renting a car, I was ecstatic that this Comfort Inn had free shuttle service from the airport. Even though it was past midnight, the lady at the front desk and the driver were so sweet and didn't even look annoyed at the hour or the drive through the snow. The lady tending to the breakfast was very friendly too as was the girl at the front when I was checking out; she was very helpful in getting me a cab, even following up. I did hear some man yelling one night in the lobby, which was a bit scary, but I felt a little safer when I heard the front desk lady first try to calm him down then ask him to find another hotel when he didn't. All-in-all, the staff here made my horrible trip somewhat bearable. I heard there may have been issues with heating on one floor (or one part of the floor), but my room was fortunately piping hot.

• Stayed: February 2014
gm_manchester, General Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you very much for the review of our property. We are extremely happy that you experienced such a positive customer service experience during your stay and your compliments will be passed on to the staff. We take pride in our complimentary shuttle service, free hot breakfast and providing our guests with the best service. We look forward to seeing you again when in the Manchester area.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked 2 nights here because it had a pool and was not too far from skiing. Pool was closed and no hot water in our room. We were put on the fifth floor as compensation for pool being closed. However, no hot water. They sent me to another room to shower, that room, also on fifth floor, did not have hot water. I checked out early.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are very sorry for the lack of hot water during your stay and can assure you that this issue is uncommon. We understand the importance of a hot shower especially with the weather that we've been having lately. We have made arrangements to have the boilers checked in order to ensure that they are running at the optimum temperature so that there is a plentiful supply to all rooms. Thank you again for your review and we hope you will give us another chance when returning to the area.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
gm_manchester, General Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I booked this room on priceline and when I arrived at the hotel I requested a room with 2 beds as my mother was staying with me and my daughter. The room we were assigned was dirty. I think housekeeping must have just made the beds and emptied the trash because there was still toothpaste and water stains on the faucet. Mold and soap scum in the shower along with something orangish running down the shower wall. I always check for bedbugs when I stay at any hotel and while I did not find any bugs (thank god) I did find tons of dust and debris and even old toenail clippings by the headboard on the floor. GROSS. Have we ever heard of routine cleaning? The furnishings in the room were updated but the room itself was not. The other thing that was laughable was the "this is a non-smoking room" sign on the bathroom counter which was covered in cigarette burns. The room reeked of cigarettes and I was awoken about every hour by the smell of cigarette smoke coming from (I'm assuming) the next room. The drywall, trim and carpet had yet to be finished from renovations. (I read the GM's response to other people's complaints about this starting almost a year ago and he reported the rooms would be renovated in the fall. They are still not done). The carpet was pieced in and the the trim around the ceiling just cut off awkwardly. Not very inviting. My 4 year old really loves to swim and that was part of the reason we booked this hotel, well, there was no swimming involved. The pool area was completely appalling. First, there was no ventilation in the pool area so the condensation was so bad there was water dripping from everything and rust and mold everywhere. The lounge chairs were rusty and moldy. The lockers looked ancient and were all rusty and the doors all left open (throw them away). There were no clean towels, but plenty of dirty ones slung about. The beams that go across the ceiling all had mineral buildup and mold running down them and dripping into the pool. The floor was stained with what looked like mold from the dripping ceiling. The sides of the pool above the water line were so dirty that people had drawn in the grime. The door to the pool said please use other door, but it was blocked off due to construction.
Obviously there is a lack of staff accountability and pride at this hotel. When I told the young man at the desk the next morning that I was less than satisfied with the cleanliness of the hotel he told me they had had a lot of complaints and gave me a form to fill out. When I expressed my concern for the pool area he seemed surprised. Really? You're surprised that I would complain about the dirty, neglected pool room. Have you been in there recently??? These complaints were all things that could be fixed easily with some supervision , elbow grease and accountability. With the unemployment rate as high as it is, if I was dealing with staff who didn't give a crap about the quality of their work, I would get rid of them and hire some people who actually want to work. Sad state of affairs at this hotel. My family used to stay here pretty often about 10 years ago, Obviously it is under new management and we won't be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
gm_manchester, General Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the property and our sincere apologies for the issues that you encountered. As with any extensive renovation project there are items that arise that are unforseen and that affect the established deadline. We are currently renovating all rooms on the 5th floor with carpet, wallpaper and bedding. We have purchased a new heating unit for the pool area since our last unit failed and due to weather issues, it has not been installed yet. This is the cause of the awkward climate in our pool area but it has no effect on the water and is 100% safe. Again, our apologies during the transition and we definitely appreciate your patience and understanding.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was extremely unimpressed. When we checked in at 11 pm on Halloween, the receptionist and i think maintenance guy were super nice and helpful. The first thing i noticed before making it to the desk was the horrid chemical,glue,paint smell, which instantly gave me a head ache. We were given a non-smoking room on the fifth floor, which again-- another smell, once the elevator door opened a big wall of WREAKING smoke hits you in the face. The hall wreaked of smoke. So the entire floor is mosyly smoking rooms with a handful of nonsmoking room, surrounded on either side with smoking rooms. The room smelled of smoke as well and bothered my sinuses, continuing my headache.... Nov 1, i was in and out, the receptionist couldnt be bothered to aay hello/goodbye with at least five different opportunities. Also at night there was spilled coffee in the elevator for at least 2 hours. Nov 2, trying to sleep in when banging starts on the roof at 8 am or so.... if there is going to be work on the roof, dont put people on the top floor... we had arranged late check out, an had do not disturb sign on the door, and the maid smashed on the door, i said no (i was in the bathroom), she insisted i tell her what time i was leaving.... i wouldnt return here... only nice feature was the pool.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank nicolelh503
gm_manchester, General Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience during your stay. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. We continue to work diligently on our renovations and try our best to have as little interference as possible with any guests stay. We hope that in the future you will give us another chance and see the hotel once completed.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were going to Spooky World on a Saturday night and decided that we didn't want to travel home late that night so we made reservations at the Comfort Inn. The desk clerk, A very friendly, helpful young man. The room was very spacious, clean and quiet. The breakfast was good, liked the scrambled eggs and sausage :) I would recommend this hotel and may go back for a stay just to get away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for the review. It makes us very happy to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer from your customer service experience to the complimentary breakfast. We look forward to seeing you in future.