“Watered down drink”
Review of Piccola Italia

Piccola Italia
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccola Italia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 407 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I had a very nice dinner at Piccola Italia on a storm night. It was very quiet and the food and service was good. However, I ordered a dry manhattan and when I sampled it, I knew that it did not meet up with top standards. It definitely tasted watered down. The waitress asked how my manhattan was and I was honest, I told her that it seemed weak and watered down. Her response was "I just stirred it a little". She did not offer to fix it. She was the waitress and the one who made the drink. Unfortunately, this is the one thing that will remain in my memory and I will probably never return.

There are newer reviews for Piccola Italia

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Pretty good Italian food. Certainly better than Olive Garden, but not as good as some of the other (many) Italian restaurants in the area. Good location if you have a reason to be on Elm Street (event at the Verizon, etc), but not convenient to go just for dinner. Good service, and prices in line with other Italian restaurants.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is our go-to place for dinner. You just can't go wrong. Prices are good, people are friendly and the food is outstanding. If you like Caesar salad, order it table side and they will make it right in front of you...YUM!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My gf brought a pretty expensive camera here last night, and left it by accident..now, you would think a "fine establishment" such as this would want to maintain a level of integrity and at least keep what good customers they have left...apparently not. She called and asked about her camera..a gentleman (I say that tongue in cheek) stated he was "in charge" of lost and found..after getting the run around from him, she asked to speak to a manager...to which he stated he was (really sir? Couldn't you have just stated that in the beginning?) and he was "upset" she asked to speak to a manager. After stating he never told her that, and she just wanted help findind her camera, he was more concerned about why he doesn't tell people he's the manager on the phone (umm..something to hide?) and really had no idea how to be helpful. So, moral of the story....don't leave ANYTHING of value at this place. Apparently it's true to Manchester dive bar form...leave something...expect it to be taken and no help from the management given ..If you can even figure out who mngmt is.

We decided on Piccola for a friends birthday last night. 5 women....yes, you can imagine, add some wine, and friendships since Jr. High and you get some silliness! The woman at the front desk was so disorganized I started having second thoughts as to why we chose this place. Not exactly the friendliest hostess I've run into, and she was apparently having issues with someone not doing their job (NEVER EVER let patrons see you're having issues with your staff or you're disorganized). I have to say (which seems to be the positive part of most of my reviews lately), our hostess was fabulous (I hate saying waitress.....more and more I think that demeans the job they do). I wish I could remember her name, but she was awesome. Even when we started questioning why you would charge your customers $50.00 for a Ceasar salad, she handled it well and without being condenscending. Hey, she made a $40 tip off us ordering it, so kudos to her.

Drinks: Awesome wine selection. Reisling was on the dry less sweet side, which worked well with my meal. A few of them ordered a bottle of Cabernet and seemed highly satisfied. Nothing like a good Italian wine! Martini making skills of the bartender..not so good. The Cappucino martini was too much like drinking warm coffee. It was sent back. Second martini was ok. (my gf's opinion). I'm not a big martini drinker, and have learned it's probably best to stick with wine when ordering in Italian restaurants. That's pretty much where their staff is knowledgeable.

Food: Oh boy..here we go. Here's a little hint. IF you come with more than 3 people and order Ceasar Salad Table service..it is NOT just $20. Even if you all just want a little bit..you're going to get charged. We ordered it, and we almost fell out of our seats. 1/2 of our bill was JUST ceasar salad. So, for 5 of us, it ended up being $10 a person. STICK WITH THE INDIVIDUAL ceasar salad for $6. It's $20 for 2 people..what they don't tell you is even if you just wanted a little bit to share under the 2 person order, you can't. We were charged $20 for the first two people,$20 for the next 2 then $10 for the extra person. YIKES! I would suggest they put that on the menu..let people know if there is more than 2 people in your group, you get an extra $10 charge for the plate. We definitely would NOT have done that if we knew..we thought we were all sharing a small portion of the salad. I would have stuck with the cheaper plate. We paid our hostess $20 to make a salad. Maybe I should start charging my family to make salads....there may be a method to their madness over there!

Our meals: 2 of us shared the chicken parm..which was fine. Not outstanding, but fine. Two shared the Gnocchi with peas in a cream sauce which they seems to enjoy. Another had the stuffed mushroom appetizer which she thought was "OK". So not overly thrilled with our food, but it's fine. There really are no Italian places in Manchester, so if you are really craving Italian food, it's not a bad place. We had dessert...The tiramusu on a scale of 1 to 10 was a 5...it was way heavier and richer than most I've had in the North End. The Boston Cream was cheescake like..I wasn't overly impressed (I actually left it there after I tasted it and paid for it), but the chocolate cake looked awesome.

In my opinion, what happened today outweighs any good service or meal we could have had. Dishonest management means none of us will return..and I will make sure I get the word out to anyone who asks to NOT visit this place.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We really enjoyed their sauteed vegetables with penne. Their canole was the best I have ever eaten. The atmosphere is typical "Little Italy". I love the old Sinatra, Martin type music in the background. I feel that their prices are very fair for the quality of the food.