“Hidden Treasure”

Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Cafe Momo is a small Napalese place located in a tiny strip mall just off the highway. The interior is decorated with the owner's own art work (the water colors are quite nice). The setting is dark but cozy. The food is freshly prepared, fragrant and wonderful. The veggies are seasonal (from plants growing out front in the summer).

While the cuisine is generally spicy it is not oily and the staff is very accommodating and vigilant. Despite the fact that I am a regular, they always verify how spicy I would prefer my meal. Be aware that spicy means SPICY. I know it is in NH, but if you request very spicy, you wouldn't think you were in the Granite State

If you don't like any "ethnic food" beyond Chinese takeout, this isn't the place for you - but if you enjoy great tasting, freshly prepared, exciting cuisine, check it out on your next trip down Route 93. My personal favorites are the lentil soup and chicken Katmandu. A meal for two runs somewhere between $40 and $50 depending on drinks etc.

1  Thank Valerie O

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great place! Real hole in the wall, unexpected spot for good food. The owner greeted us at his tiny restaurant like an old friend and very carefully listened to my list of special dietary needs. He explained that nothing was pre-made, and that they would happily accommodate me however I needed. (Actually it turns out that some of the sauces are made in volume daily so his assurance was not entirely true, but close enough.)
We started with a selection of "momos" which did not look very appetizing but as far as dumplings go, the best I have ever had. I had haddock on asparagus and my friend had a plantain curry. Both were excellent. I also had a mojito drink ( no rum) which hit the spot.
Since the place is so small, the owner could be of assistance before you needed it. There were seats outside, next to many little garden plants in pots. But it faced the parking so we passed on them.
Very healthy, freshly made food.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I usually will try a different kind of food for the experience. This was just a bit too different for me. Very ethnic-based and not the kind of food I am used to. Too expensive to say I was disappointed with my experience.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Friendly owner.

Depressing room.

Cheerful but inept service.

OK food. Small servings. Poor value.

Won't be back.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our first trip to Cafe Momo was on our wedding anniversary, unfortunately this is not a romantic spot. Fortunately the food was pretty good.

We started with the "Momo's" which are little dumplings served with a side sauce. We requested our food to be a 7 on a 1 to 10 spicy scale. 7 did not disappoint! The sauce was just to our liking which is on the spicy side. Many restaurants claim things are hot or spicy, this was exactly what we requested.

The Momo's we good, a little pasty for me, I like things a little crispier. We also heard later that you can get an assortment of Momo's not just 8 of one kind. That would have been nice to know.

Don't expect much of a bar here. No liquor. We did have a couple of glasses of wine but they were served in juice glasses and small ones at that. The waiter had little knowledge of what they even had for wine. He suggested we order the Malbec because they just opened it.

The 4 star rating is simply for the food. It's very good and quite different. My wife had the lamb which was outstanding and I had curry fish that was well done but lacked a little flavor....somebody forgot the curry. Both dishes were served with cilantro rice, and plenty of vegetables.

We also had some spicy soup which I thought was excellent.

We will go back and try other dishes here because it's quite good, rather unique and has that nice spicy kick we enjoy. The waiter was very nice and friendly and described the dishes very well. I also got the feeling that they would make just about anything you want. All food is freshly prepared, they make the point in telling you that so you can be creative.

1  Thank joow