“Avoid the bar.”
Review of Cotton

Cotton
Reserve with OpenTable
Cotton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 410 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stark Street
Description: Cotton features the cooking of multiple award-winning Chef/Author/Owner Jeffrey Paige. Located in Manchester, New Hampshire’s historic millyard district, Cotton is known for exceptional farm to table comfort food, friendly yet professional service and an inviting, casual upscale atmosphere. It’s the place the New York Times calls “hip”. Both a classic neighborhood restaurant, named “One of the ten best neighborhood restaurants in the Northeast” by Bon Appetit Magazine, and a destination for diners throughout central New England, Cotton features classic American and worldly comfort food, an extensive wine list featuring over 40 wines by the glass and holds the distinct honor of “Best Martinis in New Hampshire” by New Hampshire Magazine year after year after year. Reservationrecommended on Friday and Saturday evenings. Visit us on
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

There was a time when going out for a martini and apps at Cotton was one of my favorite stops. I hadn't been for quite some time and wasn't sure why I had stopped, so we made a trip over for dinner. I remember now why I had stopped. Something about the bartender that works there is very off putting. He just exudes an error that he is being bothered by your presence, not that he appreciates your business. The martinis he made were subpar. Not only that the waitstaff tend to gather at the bar and gossip, whether it's about patrons or other coworkers I have no idea, but take it somewhere else. Although I've never had an issue with the food, in fact it's quite delicious, we decided to take our dinner plans elsewhere. I may go back for an actual restaurant meal, (in fact, the food is the reason I cannot go below 3 stars) but I will not frequent that bar again.

1  Thank StabbyMcG

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We've been going to Cotton occasionally for many years. It's usually very good and consistent in the quality of the food.
This time was not so much. It was still good but just not as much as before. For example a change in the mashed potatoes makes them now oh-so-average. The meatloaf tasted like a lower quality meat blend and the poor overworked waitstaff had too much to attend to, to give the usual service.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We recently went to Cotton. I had been there three times before and did not like the food any of the times but it had been a couple of years so I decided we should try again having read some recent favorable online reviews. We sat on the patio, which was a good choice. It is very relaxing and you would hardly think you were in Manchester, let alone the parking lot of the mills. So far so good. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive without being cloying, he
seemed to know just the right time to come over to our table. We started with appetizers, choosing the goat cheese and chicken satay. The waiter also brought over some very nice artesan bread. The specialty drink I chose, a blueberry mojito, was the perfect blend and one of the better mojitos I've tried. The appetizers arrived after some time and we were surprised to see the chicken satay had a fried batter coating. The goat cheese was terrific, warm without being runny, and the accompanying marinara sauce complimented the cheese. The chicken satay, however, was terrible. The coating was hard, the chicken stuck to the inside of the coating. The peanut sauce and cucumber salad were pretty good though. After having the appetizers which were uninspiring and mediocre at best we decide we were not going to continue with entres. Why take the chance of another overpriced over salted dinner which is what we've had there on prior occasions. Will we try it again? The patio and drinks were worth the trip so maybe we'll try a different appetizer or take a chance and actually order entres.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

The food was delicious, the atmosphere was relaxed. Outside seating is on the parking lot, but there are lots of plants to divide the two. The bar is the best place to sit or the tables near the bar.

1  Thank 6LAH
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've lived in NH for about 30 years and eaten at many establishments. I've also traveled a good amount. My meal at Cotton was the best meal I've ever had anywhere in New Hampshire and in the top 5 of my entire life. The steak Diane was perfect in every way. We ate outside on a covered patio which was wonderful. We had the option of indoors but it was a nice evening and outdoors was very nice. We had a party of 4 and we got 4 different entrees and split 3 appetizers. They were all amazing.

We cannot wait to return to Cotton! Our new favorite place!