“Great place to dine for lunch - business or personal”
Review of Cotton

Cotton
Reserve with OpenTable
Cotton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 410 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stark Street
Description: Cotton features the cooking of multiple award-winning Chef/Author/Owner Jeffrey Paige. Located in Manchester, New Hampshire’s historic millyard district, Cotton is known for exceptional farm to table comfort food, friendly yet professional service and an inviting, casual upscale atmosphere. It’s the place the New York Times calls “hip”. Both a classic neighborhood restaurant, named “One of the ten best neighborhood restaurants in the Northeast” by Bon Appetit Magazine, and a destination for diners throughout central New England, Cotton features classic American and worldly comfort food, an extensive wine list featuring over 40 wines by the glass and holds the distinct honor of “Best Martinis in New Hampshire” by New Hampshire Magazine year after year after year. Reservationrecommended on Friday and Saturday evenings. Visit us on
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have dined at Cotton many times over the past several years and have to say in the past year the food has been the best since I have been going. I would definitely recommend Cotton for a business lunch, or just lunch with friends. The restaurant is set in one of the historic mill buildings along the river, has a fairly open dining room and patio for the warmer months. They do have a designated parking lot but on a busy day you may have to park in the larger pay-for-parking area. The buttermilk fried chicken is amazing and I find that I tend to order this almost everytime I go, sort of a comfort food treat. Their calamari is quite good. Last year they had a fabulous salad with apples, pecans and farmers cheese that I wish would be back on the menu. It was amazing. Meal portions and flavors are appropriate for the prices, in my opinion.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went to cotton for the first time the other night with my wife. The atmosphere is open and exciting but a little loud because it's just a big room with round tables on one side and small tables on the other side with a few booths. Since we were two we were seated at the small tables which put us a few feet away from the other customers on either side. This wasn't a problem and even though it was busy we still had no problem talking to each other, just added this so that people know it's not a romantic, no distractions place. This is more of a go have a good meal and be out place, a great date night or meet some friends place but not a good anniversary night place.

So that little bit aside everything was great. The waiter (Anthony) was attentive but not intrusive. The menu was eclectic and centered on local treats like scallops and lobster and products like goat cheese many done with a bit of southern fusion, and some southern staples like jambalaya and fried chicken with gravy.

We started with the tuna appetizer which was yummy and then split a special arugula salad. The salad was big enough to split and just a perfect pairing of baby arugula, roasted peppers, thin red onion, and a couple different hard cheeses in a sherry vinaigrette. The pairing showed competence on the chiefs part and the execution was well done.

For dinner I had the scallops with applewood bacon/sweet potato/corn has and chipotle aioli, it was well prepared and delicious with a total of 7 nice big sea scallops. My wife had the steak Diane which was tender and well sized. We both took home lunches from our meals.

The wine list was good and we each found wines we knew and liked available by the glass, which is good since we tend to only have a glass each.

We finished with the banana's foster bread pudding desert and two espresso drinks. The banana bread pudding was very good and overall we had a great meal with the total coming in around $100 before tip.

I would definitely return and recommend to others as long.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I have eaten a number of times at Cotton and have never been disappointed. This week's visit was another happy event. My wife had a Caesar salad which she was pleased to report included anchovies (some restaurants now routinely leave them out). I had a mesclun salad with the best balsamic dressing I've tasted, followed by beef tornedos, green beans, and mashed potatoes with a hint of blue cheese (a wonderful combination in my opinion), all cooked to perfection. We followed the meal with a toffee cheese cake that was superb. Pleasant decor and easy parking add to the pleasures of this restaurant.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Cotton is the best restaurant maybe in New England! They have an awesome bar, great drinks and the best Point Judith calamari ever! My son and I try calamari everywhere we see it on the menu, and believe me, that's a lot of calamari we have tried, but Cotton rules! Set in the old Millyard of Manchester, the ambience is great, service is wonderful, friendly and prompt. All the food there is prepared by a genius. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

First, let me start by saying that this is one of our favorite places we save for special occasions, the food is always top notch, and we find the value to be high. Some of the favs we ordered on this occasion were Bistro Steak-with mashed potatoes and baby carrots-fantastic and cooked to perfection! Others in our party had the Turkey Schnitzel and Lamb Loin Chops.The serve great bread for the table as well, always appreciated!

The rocky start was when we arrived, the hostess who greated us appeared sullen, and was not cheerful as one would expect for a greeting walking in, there was confusion about our reservation, not shared with us why or what but at least the ?manager? came over and took care of us....saying he would explain to her later what happened. Waitress arrived and took drink orders once we were seated, not the fastest service, but we were in no rush, unfortunately, she got the drink orders wrong and tried to tell me that it was my fault...what?

I was surprised that on a Thursday night the bar was EMPTY by 8:30, and the restaurannt was a quarter full....not sure why it was a slow night or if their business is off?

In summary, a great culinary expereince, but the "front end" of the business appears to be in need of improvements!

1  Thank tqmman2002
Cotton101, Owner at Cotton, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Tqmman2002,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your dining experience to my attention. I appreciate this much more than you know. I value each and every one of my guests. It is equally important for me to hear both the good and the bad. Without hearing the bad, I am unable to learn, grow and better serve my guests in the future. I apologize on behalf of your server and Cotton for the confusion on our part regarding the wine service. Your server has been with us for ten years and while the incident could have been handled differently, I know she meant no disrespect to you and your guests.

I have addressed this incident with my managers and service staff. I (we) will learn from yesterday’s mistakes and better serve all our guests tomorrow.

I truly appreciate each and every guest who joins us at Cotton. I have saved your previous reservation data in our online reservation system. The next time you join us at Cotton, I will have a bottle of the Greg Norman Cabernet-Merlot waiting for you on your table.

Jeffrey Paige – Chef/Owner