“Old school diner, comfy food”
Review of Red Arrow Diner

Red Arrow Diner
Ranked #6 of 409 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place won't blow your socks off, but it's comfy food in an old school diner with lots of tradition. Out of towners will love it. This is what NorthEast diners are and it's a great representation of that genre. The food is good and the people, working or eating, are friendly. Definitely worth a stop in.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is my 4th time going to this diner. Usually everything is really good and we love going..but I don't believe I will be returning. Our Waitress was an absolute nightmare!! WORST SERVICE I've ever experienced! First we all ordered a "moe" sized cup of chili w/cheese sauce which was priced at $3.99. The chili came out in good time and it was really good. For our main meal we ordered "Tylers Homemade Mac and Cheese" which said in the description it had penko crumbs topping it. When we got the mac and cheese it of course had no crumb topping and was NOT homemade one bit. It was lesser quality stouffers mac and cheese (which would have tasted much better if it was actually stouffers). The noodles were overcooked. The cheese was not real. It was the same cheese sauce they used to top my chili. It was absolutely disgusting!! I believe if it says homemade it should be homemade or at least if they are too cheap and lazy to actually make it homemade then make sure it could at least be passable as homemade! The taste of the cheese sauce was that of the chef boyard D mac and cheese in a can (yuck!). My cousin ordered a small side salad and the waitress brought out a full meal sized salad which had browned lettuce and was just low quality. My other couisn who also ordered this terrible "homemade" mac and crap called the waitress over. She asked her if this was the "Tylers homemade mac and cheese". The waitress said it was. Then we told her that in the description it said it had penko crumbs on it. She said well you have to ask for it if you want it. (I re-read it said it just came with it). Then she proceeded to tell us that they were out of penko crumbs anyways and said that it's just crushed up graham crackers barely sprinkled on the top anyways trying to downgrade it so we wouldn't want it. I believe what she meant was "ritz" crackers not graham (I hope or that would be really gross). She said that they stopped putting the crumbs on because the mac and cheese was constantly being sent back to the kitchen because she said the texture of soft and crunchy was too weird like egg shell in egg???? Yeah i know we didn't get her comment either lol. Finally she came back over to asked if we wanted our mac and yack boxed up (we had barely eaten any)..my cousin and I said no because we didn't like it at all. She then said to us "oh I'm so suprised because in 15yrs of working here we have never had a complaint about our mac and cheese". We found that funny because earlier she told us she constantly have customers send it back due to the penko crumbs or something like that. Hate to break it to you lady but the crumbs weren't the reason it was being sent back! She never apologized or offered to take the mac and yak off the bill even though we barely touched it. We finally get our bill and of course the she overcharged us! First she charged my cousin for a large salad when she only ordered a side salad and the waitress messed up and brought her the wrong size...not our fault. Whatever we let that slip..but then she charged us $5.50 for the chili which only said 3.99 on the menu. We told her that she overcharged the chili. She said well you order a "bowl" of chili. We told her no we ordered the "moe" chili (which is a cup of chili vs the "super moe" which is a bowl of chili). She said well you guys got a bowl of chili....the dishware holding my chili looked an awful like a cup since it was the size of a coffee cup and it did have a handle on it...one would only assume it was a cup! After some argument with this clueless waitress she said she would take off $1.50 for the chili. I re-looked at the prices of the chili on the menu which said the super moe sized chili with cheese sauce was only 4.99 not the 5.50 she was trying to charge even though we ordered the moe size anyways. Finally we grab our things and head up to the register...next she said ok so im taking off $1.25 off of your bill for the chili...she orignally said $1.50 but at this point I just wanted to get out of there and be done with this horrible experience. Needless to say I didn't tip her....and I always leave a tip but she made us so mad!!! First off for a waitress to be working at a place for 15+ years one would think she would know how to waitress or at least listen to you when you give her your order. Secondly you should never argue with your customers or call them wrong....Thirdly if your going to lie and constantly contradict yourself make sure your good at it first. I am just so disapointed in my expericence! Bad service bad food...leaving a bad taste in my mouth all day!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had heard about the Red Arrow for years. We moved to NH ten years ago, and just never had the chance to check it out. Then we got a gift certificate at a raffle, and we decided to go.

We went at a very off time...like 3 PM on a Sunday. We walked in and saw the long counter with many available seats, and a small seating area at the front with 5 or 6 small booths. We kept walking, thinking there must be another seating area, but that was it! We decided to wait for a booth. And that was okay, because they have a lot of really neat things to look at on the walls.

I realize that the diner is old, but it is also really, really dirty. Dusty. Grimy. It has a definite "never been cleaned" feel to it. I'm not saying there were cockroaches and rats skittering across the floor, but it was far from sanitary.

The people there were very nice. Not too efficient, but very friendly. There were a few people standing around doing nothing while one woman seemed to handle EVERYTHING. She had the patience of a saint, because there was an older gentleman seated at one of the other tables who was giving her a very hard time about everything, and she handled it with grace and a sense of humor.

The food was awesome. I had an omelet and hash browns, and both were outstanding. My daughter had a chocolate chip pancake, and she loved it. My husband had the eggs benedict and said it was great. So no complaints about the food at all. And it's wicked cheap! It's just hard to enjoy a meal in such surroundings.

I wish they would expand the restaurant, clean it up, and add more seating. That seems unlikely, though, and they seem to be doing just fine without catering to uptight clean freaks like me.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Reviewed on Diners Driveins and Dives (Food Network), this place is worth a look. We stopped in on a busy Saturday on our way to Lincoln, NH. There was a wait, but it allowed us time to check out some of the photos of celebs lining the walls. The food was good. We sampled breakfast items and lunch. Highlights: hash browns, BLT chicken club, pancakes, whoopie pie. We liked it so much, we stopped for lunch a week later on our way back home.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The diner is always a great place for breakfast, dinner or desert! My favorite is the american chop suey. Their dinah fingers (just like the hostess twinkies only better) and the chocolate pie are out of this world!