“Used to be awesome but off our list completely”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bonsai's Restaurant
Ranked #261 of 408 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American, Chinese
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ok the atmosphere in Bonsai has always been a little dark, dingy and while disgusting goes too far we will just say it has always had that dark watering hole kind of vibe. There were things on the menu that used to be really great, like they had the best beef teriyaki ever--one of those things you craved suddenly when hungry and would go to great lengths to get. While the American choices were always touch and go my attempt at ordering Alfredo probably goes down in the record of all time worst meals at a restaurant.

In the past 6 months the quality has declined tremendously. We had one bad experience and gave it two more chances to recover from what we hoped was a transition period. Our last experience was indeed our last experience. We feel badly because this used to be on our favorite list and nothing in the area even compares to what it used to be.

There are newer reviews for Bonsai's Restaurant

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have been to Bonsai several times. To date, I have yet to try the Chinese cuisine.
My husband and I choose Bonsai for every special occasion and always order from the American section of the menu. He always has prime rib and I always enjoy the baked stuffed shrimp.
So, as for the many options, I can't comment.....however, we always enjoy our experience and leave satisfied. We often get the same waitress and she is wonderful, personable and very competent.
The cocktails are always delicious. More often than not, specialty drinks at a Chinese food place are either too strong and hard to choke down or just not tasting as they should.
I am a fan of Bonsai and would definitely recommend it to others. I read a few horrible reviews and was in disbelief that we were talking about the same place.
Ambiance and atmosphere? I'll stay home and light a candle if that's what matters to me. Good food, good company and friendly competent waitstaff is what hits a home run for me.
R. LaBrie Manchester

1  Thank RLaBrie
Reviewed June 11, 2013

"New Management" didn't improve cleanliness, food quality, or attitude of the bar tender !!! Went in for lunch & was totally disgusted !! TERRIBLE FOOD & WORST SEVICE !!! I "NEVER" don't leave a tip; BUT in this woman's case, I made an EXCEPTION !!!.......AVOID AT ALL COST !!!!

2  Thank PEIGOLFER
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've read other reviews of the Bonsai Restaurant that were less than kind. My family's multiple experiences with this combination Chinese and American restaurant have all been very good to excellent. Bonsai's history combines an outstanding, very well-known prime rib restaurant with the excellent Chinese food brought by the new management.

We routinely take-out Bonsai's Chinese food. We've never had an entree or appetizer that we were disappointed in at any time in the last 5-6 years. And if your cholesterol can stand the hit, their prime rib special is fantastic.

As for the atmosphere, no it's not posh. It's okay; not dirty or sticky-carpeted.

Bonsai is definitely worth a try. Often.

1  Thank Bill_Lundgren
Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you want to get sick, then by all means, come here. I don't understand how Bonsai's has gotten any good reviews -- other than maybe by the people who visit the bar, of which half the restaurant is made up of. The other half is a dirty, sticky-carpeted, mismatching lighting, mess of a restaurant. There literally wasn't one item of Chinese food that any of my family liked, and we ate so little of it, we actually ended up eating again at home. We gave it a try, but will never be back here again.

5  Thank mmbcde