“Food Lackluster - Service Horrible (Average rating due to Nostalgia)”

Goldenrod Drive-In Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 9 Dessert in Manchester
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Portland, Maine
“Food Lackluster - Service Horrible (Average rating due to Nostalgia)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

While visiting the Queen City I decided to take my daughter to Goldenrod one of my childhood favorites. We were in a rush so we kept it simple with a tuna roll, grilled cheese, fries, lemon meringue pie and drinks. The place was crowded my not overly so for a Saturday evening. We ordered inside so we could sit in the dining room. The dining room was clean and well kept.

For some odd reason it took 25 minutes to get our order. We thought maybe we hadn't heard our number called but noticed people around us who came well after getting their meals (mostly fried items and dinner style meals). When I approached the counter the young lady working behind went and checked and said it would be a "few" more minutes. 8 minutes later our order was ready. Except it wasn't - they forgot the tuna roll. They insisted we ordered it to "go" which didn't make sense because even if it was to go it still wasn't "ready"! An older lady in front of me had to wait for ice water and hot water for tea about the same amount of time. The kitchen seemed very unorganized for a place that's been around so long.

Tuna was ok - not the best, not the worst. Grilled cheese was yummy and tomato tasted fresh. Fries were good and crunchy. Pie was ok - crust was mushy but that does happen with lemon meringue but it definitely wasn't fresh - probably day old.

I'd give them a shot again while I'm in the area and chalk it up to a bad night but I was glad we didn't spend a lot since we did hear quite a bit of grumbling in the dining room about messed up orders and missing items. They may want to think about hiring a few more experienced people for busy nights.

Parking was horrendous but it always has been! If you're a decent driver you can usually squeeze into a spot.

• Visited September 2012

Roanoke, Virginia
“Great Fried Clams and Ice Cream”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

No trip to Manchester, NH would be complete without a trip to Goldenrod. The food is very good and the portions are large. Deciding which flavor of ice cream you'll want usually takes a few minutes as they have flavors not normally available. If you have kids, you probably already know about this place.

• Visited August 2012
Bedford, New Hampshire
“A Mainstay In The Manchester Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Goldenrod's has been around forever which means that they are doing things right. Located on Cabdia Rd and a short distance to Lake Massebesic. Dogs, burgers, fried clams and all the sides to accompany and much more are on the menue. I have been eating here for over 50 years and have never had a bad meal. In the summer there are long lines at the outdoor windows to get ice cream. A small cone for me is way too much so I have to share with my black lab.
I love this place

• Visited July 2012
Derry, New Hampshire
“Excellent seafood and ice cream!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

A family owned and operated restaurant, this landmark (est. 1951) is a wonderful place to drive up to, grab a quick meal and drive over to Lake Massabesic for a relaxing meal, or you can dine-in in their dining room. Their seafood platter of cod, scallops, whole clams, and shrimp is superb and something our family orders every time we go, but their other menu items (kids love the chicken fingers, of course!) are equally as good. They are always highly-staffed so you get your meals quickly and professionally, and it is a very friendly atmosphere. They also have a line of walk-up windows outside where you can order ice cream (you can order inside if you ate a meal), and they have a fantastic selection! I highly recommend Goldenrod Drive-In, and we will see them again soon!

• Visited July 2012