“The British are Coming”

British Beer Company
Reserve with OpenTable
British Beer Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 413 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Your local British pub with an American address!
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went to British Beer company last night after visiting my daughter at a college event. Located in a strip mall in Manchester, the location is nothing special. But once inside you feel a warm, convivial atmosphere. The place was busy and the bar packed at 7:30 pm on a Saturday, but luckily our wait was only 10 minutes. The waitress was prompt, and the beer selection was wonderful. A combination of British and Irish Beers dominate the menu, along with the usual domestic favorites. What really surprised me was the food! Everyone at our table thoroughly enjoyed out meal. I had the Cod with Green Beans, Mashed potatoes in a pesto oil. Delicious.
My wife enjoyed a bacon turkey burger with fries which was also very tasty. My daughter, a regular visitor to the restaurant had the bourbon steak with fried/baked green beans. Everything was promptly served. There was also plenty of food on the plate. I am embarrassed to say I ate it all. The only negative I would report is that our Caesar salad was bland and uninviting. My guess is that salads are not this restaurants forte. We otherwise had a great overall experience an I could see myself coming back here to sit at the bar and enjoy a few more of the beer selections or enjoying their weekly food specials. A great addition to Manchester NH.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We always hope that we will have the basis for writing glowing reviews. Unfortunately, this is not the case here.

The "acceptable":

1. At first glance, prices are not bad.

2. Large selection of beer on tap and in bottles. This is one of the reasons to go if you are seeking some unusual beer or looking to learn more about what's out there. This is worthwhile.

3. Reasonable menu selections and some English-like dishes.

The "less-than-acceptable":

1. Over-hyped and not representative of their self - description. Their website states "In Great Britain, Ireland and across Europe, the pub or “local” is the center of town life: a place to relax, refuel the body and the spirit, share news and be entertained. The pubs and restaurants of the British Beer Company deliver that same atmosphere and service to Americans today."

We wish we agreed. We traveled all over the British Isles many times and have had countless pub experiences. This is NOTHING like any pub experience we have ever had in England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
British pubs in our experience, tend to be small, intimate, dark, cozy, low ceilings, quiet, warmly-wooded interiors and friendly.
This place is quite the opposite - large, noisy, crowded and typical of most other American chain restaurants in our experience, Yes, there is an attempt to re-create a version of the pub design, but it fails. The marketing and outside of the building is the hook - to get the Customer to purchase an experience which unfortunately, will end up being very familiar and not unique - "just-name-another-chain-restaurant" experience. Again, with the exception of the beer and some menu items.

2. The food portions were small and not worth the price.

3. The food presentation, preparation and flavor was average and not exceptional or memorable in any positive way.

We will not return.

As always, we could be completely incorrect. This is just our opinion, based on our experiences. Please do your own research, visit and form your own opinion.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The beer/ale selections are always changing. Seasonal varieties of drink with tasty food selections are a great combination. The food is fresh and tasty. You can find great tasting foods to create a nice compliment to your palate with the beer/ale selections. The service is efficient and friendly. I've yet to go when the place is anything less than 3/4 full of customers. I could imagine that some of the atmosphere is like a real English Pub; dark woods, brass foot rests and stained glass private booths!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Four of us, each with a different taste and appetite, were equally satisfied and sated. Good food, large drinks, a great value with friendly staff. Can get very busy, so go early if you wish to avoid the rush & wait.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We actually went to this place 2x during out stay because they had a vast menu selection and the food was some of the best around. The place does get busy but we never had to wait and the service was outstanding both times. We even purchased a BBC plate to bring back home with us.