“Wonderful Museum”

Currier Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Manchester
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We went on free Saturday morning. The staff were helping and informative. The galleries were clean and spacious. Some art in the European collection dates back to the 14th Century. Many dutch painters were represented there. The museum boasts collections from both Europe and America, spanning 7 centuries. There were modern exhibits as well. One exhibit of posters highlighted the popularity of bicycling in late 1800's America. In the modern art rooms, some of my favorite artists' pieces including Picasso, Hartley, W. Zorach and Maxfield Parrish. The cafe' is located in a recessed room on the lower level, and is spacious with nice natural light. There is also a very nice gift shop. I was very happy to get to visit the Currier and I was very impressed with the museum's eclectic collection of art. I would highly recommend going, even if one had to pay for admission. It would be well worth the visit.

There are newer reviews for Currier Museum of Art

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Every time we are in Manchester, we try to go here. Nice, airy museum with interesting exhibits that change frequently.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a wonderful place to spend an afternoon or morning.
The people at the front desk are so pleasant(especially Maria) whom I met at my first visit.
I was not familiar with the area and she helped me immensely.
The museum is the perfect size and they always have wonderful special exhibits going on.
I love how they have a little bit of everything to see- nice variety!
I also just found out from the gal in the café that they have entertainments on one Thursday night a month in the atrium. I was going to eat downtown but opted to have lunch right there-
It was delicious and I even got some of their muffins to go- YUM!
Everything is nicely displayed and it is very airy and comfortable when walking around.
My new favorite place in New Hampshire.
The only thing that needs to change is to have parents tend to their children better-they were some carrying on(running around and yelling) and the staff had to keep stifling them-
It is nice to be able to enjoy art without commotion. we all agree.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had read about this museum and decided to top on the spur of the minute. It is pretty easy to find and parking was easy. There is a $10 charge per adult which we felt was worth the cost. The collection is widely varied with a number of American works along with European masters. The special exhibit was a large collection of posters that were interesting. Nice building, nice collection and nice cafe. Well worth a stop.

1  Thank hodag21378
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Currier Museum of Art is located in downtown Manchester. The museum is open every day except Tuesdays, including many holidays where most other places close. They have their own parking which makes it convenient and free compared to paying for a spot along the street elsewhere. The general admission price is $10 per adult. If you choose to tour the Zimmerman House it is $20. I didn't notice until afterward that active military and veterans receive free general admission, but don't know how this factors into the Zimmerman House portion.

I had gone to the Currier specifically for the ZImmerman House, which is the only Frank Lloyd Wright home open to the public in New England. You need to reserve a spot for the tour as they only allow 12 people per tour. There are two tours daily except on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You meet at the museum and take a shuttle to the home which is located in a residential area. While I wouldn't necessarily want to live in the home itself, it did have several interesting architectural aspects. It was amazing the attention to detail which was put into the design, but also the inherent flaws that make such a design impractical and expensive to maintain. I would definitely recommend visiting the home to get an idea of Wright's style. You drive by a second home Wright designed which is has to be one of the ugliest buildings in the world made out of concrete.

Back at the Currier you get a chance to see various different rooms focusing on artists both old and new. You could skip the contemporary art as it isn't any good. There currently was a painting by Monet that was on view in North America for the first time. Most of the paintings were very good and were the highlight. What I found nice was that you could take pictures of most of the art. For those pieces where you can't there is a symbol next to it letting you know.

Another interesting exhibit was on the poster craze of the 1800s. You never hear about poster necessarily as art and the Currier does an excellent job of providing not just the posters themselves but a history of them as well. This is one of the main exhibits and takes up a good portion of one of the wings, and rightfully so.

The museum has various rooms over two floors. The building itself looks nice from the inside, but nothing special from the outside. There are both stairs and elevators. There is also a café and library in the basement level, but didn't use either. I would recommend the Currier Museum of Art if you are looking for a change of pace and are interested in art.

2  Thank wbullseye