“Not to be missed!”

Ranked #1 of 407 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Republic is a European style cafe serving lunch and dinner 7 days and breakfast on Saturday and Sunday with locally roasted coffee and a full bar.
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

When I get to the Manchester area Republic of my number one favorite pick. The restaurant has a very inviting atmosphere and a beautiful look to it. I have yet to visit and not spot the owner engaging with the guests. The food is so delicious, but come early if you want to take advantage of the daily specials because they go fast. They also have a cute little happy hour from 7 to 9 p.m. where I love the half priced wine, beer and apps. Staff is absolutely amazing! I was there last night (and hadn't been there for months) and the bartender remembered my drink of choice, that's pretty impressive! He kept us laughing all night and the service was impeccable as always. If you get a chance to try Republic, I highly suggest you take it. I'm looking forward to finally trying their sister restaurant Camp Enoteca in the next few weeks.

1  Thank StabbyMcG
There are newer reviews for Republic Cafe

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We visited Republic on a recent Wednesday evening for a small celebration. We were shown to our table quickly (which was right next to the electronic order station for the servers). This was a bad location. Several servers often gathered there and chatted (several times, one of their rear ends was next to my face while they chatted!) and discussed that they needed to move the Strawberry Chiffon Cake and what tables were giving them issues. I sure didn't need to know this info while I was trying to enjoy my dinner. The open kitchen concept did not bother us and we enjoyed watching the action. The menu was interesting and different and our food was very good. I ordered the Salt Cod Fritters as an app and we had the Steak Frites and Chicken Confit as entrees. Dessert ws German Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Mousse. Our server was attentive and did a good job. It was a very busy night so it was quite loud and lively, but that didn't bother us as much as the server chatter right next to us. We would definitely return but we would ask for a different table.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Being a lover of chai, I listened with interest to their description of the "Berber," an espresso drink with chai spices. I joked and said, "Like the rug?" Blank stare. Oh, well. I'm used to it. I was a bit disoriented at first because the long (marble?) bar didn't remind me of the normal coffee house. At the end of the bar in a glass-enclosed space they were making pastries and other tempting things. We had walked down Elm Street past several other coffee houses, waiting for the right feel. This was it. We sat outside and drank our morning coffees, watching as delicious looking breakfasts were delivered to other tables. "What's that?" I asked. "Our souffle." Wow! We fly into the Manchester Airport rather than Boston. It's small and manageable. If you do that, take a moment to drive through Manchester and see the incredible mill buildings lining the Merrimac River. Very impressive. Elm is one of the main commercial streets. Stop at Republic. Ask for a Berber (the drink, not the nomad . . . . oh, never mind).

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is probably the worst meal I have had in quite awhile, it was inedible, really. I ordered the chicken and my husband ordered the fish; the chicken tasted like a chicken you've cooked and is now a leftover that you forgot and then reheated a week later? That was the taste...My husband's fish was an extremely small piece of overcooked fish swimming in some kind of broth although he had not ordered soup or stew. The tables are tiny and very close together. It didn't help that the very next table was a table with two woman on a girl's night out who were loud and shrill. Don't talk about anything private it will be heard by the entire restaurant. We sat in front of the open kitchen, which I suppose some people like, but I didn't appreciate smelling like grease after leaving. The waitress was very nice and the food wasn't her fault but I can't think of one nice thing about this dining experience. All I could think of the entire time is that the place was loud, crowded and smelled strongly, and that I wanted to get out of there. We did not even finish our food and of course did not take the leftovers, which was almost the entire plate. It was a shame, because I had been there several times before and the food was pretty good. The owner is trying for a tapas, bistro, local farm, natural, European kind of flavor, pick one and stick with it. He should have stuck to his former successful formula at Cafe Pavone....(now Cotton) Very, very disappointed for a very expensive meal that we just couldn't eat.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We had been planning on checking this place out for a while. We finally made it down on a sleepy Sunday evening, in early summer. Thankfully, there was room at a hightop and a lovely evening began. The mixed drinks were truly inspiring. Unique, tasty and not cloyingly sweet. The mixed appetizer plate was tasty, and lovely. Loved the beet salad. Even the humble flatbreads were spot on. Service was attentive, but not overly so. All the veggies were a real treat, great accompaniment to the fish special. We will definitely stop there again. Parking can be a bit dicey, but they actually offer a parking lot nearby, something you only realize once you've hunted for a parking space and sat down at your table.