“Authentic Gem in downtown Manchester”
Review of Athens Restaurant

Athens Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 404 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Authentic Gem in downtown Manchester”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went here mainly because so many places are closed on Sunday evenings. Only 3 tables occupied in a place that holds 50+ tables. Service was exceptional. Food was delicious. Best Spanikopita (sp?) I've had in ages! Huge portion, we had enough food leftover to have a lunch and another dinner. Decor could definitely use an update,I suspect nothing's been done in the 30 years they've been in business, but the place seemed clean and well taken care of. We will go back again! As for special occasions, we were told the large banquet area was used mostly for funeral luncheons and office parties. The only reason I am not giving this 5 stars is for decor....food was certainly 5 star.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank mamajam

Florida
“My Third Visit and Eager for My Fourth”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I love lamb, and I love Greek cuisine. How could I not love Athens Restaurant? Succulent lamb regardless of preparation, huge portions, authentic Greek side dishes, realistic pricing, friendly service and convenient location with plenty of nearby parking. Someday, I might try some of the other house specialties, but its hard to stray from the best lamb shank I've ever eaten.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank RickNP
nashua
“Classic greek”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

A much needed greek eatery done by Greeks for all to enjoy. This is true greek food with character. The decor is dated, but honestly just enjoy the avegolemeno soup and stuffed grape leaves!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank lily b
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best soup and lamb in New England!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I would recommend Athens to anyone looking for a great meal - Greek or American. Terrific service and value.

1 Thank BeachBumD
Albany, New York
“Fabulous Moussaka”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I've eaten here several times, and it never disappoints. It's hard to pick anything other than the moussaka, simply because they do it so well. Best I've had outside Athens, Greece, and the portion is huge. The lamb is spectacular. I also recommend having a glass of either retsina or the mavrodaphne. My cousin had the vegetable plate and I sampled - wonderful. My other cousin had the lamb. Service is always good - most of these people have worked here for years and truly know their stuff. While the decor may be dated, it is clean. Regardless of what it looks like, it is truly a Manchester treasure.

• Visited December 2012