“Just Like Yi'Ya's”

Dining options: Reservations
concord nh
“Just Like Yi'Ya's”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

As a Greek-American I would rank the Athens Restaurant as the best Greek restaurant in Manchester and probably the state. We've been numerous times and the food has always been like Yi-Ya use to make. The Roast Lamb Garnish is the real deal along with the Stuffed Grape Leaves. Very authentic, good service, and great prices. Yes, the decor could use some upgrading but it still reminds me of the tavernas we've been to in Greece, cozy, a little dark, and authentic!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank crazyh

Florida USA
“The food is delicious, ample portions, authentic Greek specialties.”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Baked lamb dishes are a main course served with potatoes, rice, cooked vegetables. Traditional appetizers include stuffed grape leaves which are filled with meat and rice and and are served in an excellent creamy lemon sauce or tomato sauce. The decor is not new or upscale but comfortable enough. A friendly welcome and efficient service.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank jaxiree
Palm Bay, Florida
“Large Menu, Attentive Service, Good Greek Food”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We went to Athens for dinner on a Sunday night. It was attractively decorated. The service was very attentive. We were not that hungry so we did not order a lot of food. The prices seemed very reasonable. I had Spinach Pie. The serving was very generous and it was good. My wife enjoyed her Greek Salad and Egg Lemon Soup. A huge piece of very good Baklava was served for dessert.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank JackofPBFL
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Food, Needs Cleaning”
Reviewed February 10, 2011

My family and I took a chance and had dinner here one winter day. We hadn't heard anything about it beforehand. We couldn't have been happier by the food. Delicious. The lamb was fantastic. However, the restaurant looks like it could use a good cleaning. Some items appeared dusty.

Visited March 2010
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Food was a disappointment”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I love Greek food and am always looking for excellent Greek restaurants. I noted that the other reviews on the Athens were quite mixed, but I decided to try it with an optimistic attitude and open mind.

First, I must say that we visited on an "off day": there was a big festival happening in the park across the street including lots of food booths, so the unusual presence of those booths plus the difficulty in finding parking nearby meant that the restaurant had few customers. I don't know if this situation affected anything regarding our dining experience.

Our lunchtime visit started off well with a friendly greeting, and the service continued to be attentive throughout our meal. The atmosphere is a bit "old school" but that's what I expect in traditional European ethnic restaurants so I was perfectly happy with the ambiance.

I calibrate Greek restaurants based on my favorite dish: moussaka (layers of potato, ground meat, and eggplant with bechamel sauce on top). I was served a very large brown block in a puddle of grease; something that looked more like a standard American meatloaf than moussaka. While it definitely looked unappetizing, I was still game. In fact, it tasted pretty good. Not the best I've ever eaten, but decent. The center of the block was chilly, but that didn't affect me much since I was only able to eat approximately one-third of it at one sitting.

My spouse ordered the combo platter and was fairly happy with it. He was offered a choice of lemon sauce or tomato sauce and picked lemon sauce, but (after tasting the dishes) he thinks tomato would have been the better choice. Several of the selections were cooked in tomato sauce and putting lemon on top therefore wasn't ideal.

We took the remainder of our meals home and I ate another one-third of the moussaka for dinner while my spouse finished his leftovers. Approximately 1:30 a.m. we both noticed that we were tired but still bouncing off the walls, which is, for me at least, a classic symptom of too much monosodium glutamate (MSG). While I certainly can't swear that there was MSG in the Athens' meals, I hadn't eaten anything else that day that I hadn't eaten numerous times previously without ill effect. Based on my tossing and turning until 4:30 a.m., I managed to get quite a large dose of MSG.

It is difficult for me to rate the "value" of this restaurant, because if you find a dish you like and are not sensitive to MSG (if it is, indeed, present), then the large portions will mean that this restaurant is a great value for you. It doesn't seem as though I can tolerate the food well, though, so I have to conclude that it's not a good value for me and I should not go back. Sigh--the search for great Greek food in the Nashua-Manchester corridor continues unabated!