“Good time with friends but . . .”

Firefly American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Firefly American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 412 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: near Elm & Lowell Streets
Description: Firefly American Bistro & Bar is a casually upscale American bistro situated in the heart of Manchester"s downtown district. Firefly embraces the concept of comfort dining by offering inspired classic American fare in a warm, inviting atmosphere. Firefly's extensive wine list, craft beer selections, and creative cocktails compliment the time-honored yet innovative creations of Chef David Becker's seasonal menus, which burst with flavors from around the world. The uptown atmosphere is accentuated by downtown hospitality and friendly, professional service.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We met another couple there on Wednesday night for dinner and drinks. I was surprised at how dirty/sandy the entrance was upon arrival. Service was prompt and friendly. Drinks and apps were very good - calamari and seared ahi tuna. Both were very good! Fish and Chips were recommended by waitress; however, it had a heavy batter and made the fish greasy. Chips were really potato chips, not french fries- a pleasant surprise! The filet mignon was ordered medium-rare and arrived more on the rare side. Beef short ribs and scallops were probably the best of the four entrees. Overall, we enjoyed the time with friends, not the entrees so much!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We went to Firefly on a Monday evening. It was dead but we thought that it was because of the day of the week. After leaving, we noticed some of the other popular restaurants were more busy downtown. I should have used Trip Advisor like I usually do!

We arrived and were seated by a friendly host. I was with my husband and we were seated at a large booth meant for a group. We asked for another booth as there were more available. One of the menu covers was dirty which is a turn off.

Our server was mostly charming but the server working the tables next to us came by through at one point 4 or 5 times before our server returned to the area. She asked if I wanted another beer when my glass was still half full but then didn't return for quite a while and we sat with our water and beer glasses empty for quite some time at one point. She also asked how the food was while my mouth was full and quickly moved away from the table before I could even lift my head to answer.

My husband ordered steak tips which he reported were cooked perfectly (medium rare). He enjoyed the meal. I never got his opinion of the mashed potatoe. I ordered baked stuff haddock. The presentation of our meals were pub style and nothing spectacular which is okay but the Ritz crackers on the top were not browned. It tasted as though they were crumbled and thrown on after the haddock was cooked. The haddock topping had little flavor. The stuffing contained red pepper which offered some flavor but again mostly bland. I like the baked stuff haddock more at the 99 and CJs and it is not $22.95. The asparagus was perfectly cooked and it looks like they handle vegetables very well. My rice pilaf was terrible and had a huge clump in it. I did not take the leftovers depite the meal.

Please see my other reviews. I am always positive when it warrants it :-)

Reviewed August 20, 2012

From a ceasar salad dressing that was just mayonnaise (and flavorless), to getting the wrong meal altogether, poor service, slow service...many people love this place, but we gave them two chances to show off, and we were disappointed both times (and a little ill after the second time!). No thanks.

1  Thank Archmac
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I were taken out by his daughter and companion last night. I had gone on their website to pick out what I wanted to save time. I was so psyched by the crispy duck. When we got there, it wasn't on the menu. I questioned our waiter Nick about that and he laughed and said it hadn't been on the menu for 2 years. He did add that if we had called ahead, they would have made it for me. Well if I knew...... I had to call ahead, I would have but duhhhh...Disappointment at this point. Oh, I might add that it was my 62nd birthday dinner we were celebrating. My special of the night which was called Catch was awesome and I added extra garlic. Their food is awesome but come on guys, your website menu should match the actual. If customers can't rely on the website, what good is it? What else shouldn't I believe on it. I do agree with other reviewers, it is quite noisy when there are folks at the bar.

1  Thank Carole G
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We have been to firefly several times and the food and service have been efficient and delicious. One tip- do not sit anywhere near the bar if you are wanting a quiet place to converse with your dining companions. We recently met friends there and were unable to hear each other's voices without straining over the table.

1  Thank Sue C