“Simple and Delectable”

Fratellos Italian Grille
Ranked #13 of 423 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Upper Casual Italian American Eatery in Manchester's historic Millyard
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had a really nice business lunch here. Great sandwiches and pizza, good service, and decent specials. Portions are large, especially sides, so come hungry or be prepared to take away after eating.

The building is VERY cool, old mill building that has been remodeled and preserved - a lot of the buildings along the Merrimack here are this way. Outdoor seating unfortunately faces away from the river area.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We met some old friends for dinner at Fratello's. The menu has a lot of choices, but the food simply isn't that good. My pasta was overcooked, and the sauce was OK but underseasoned. The dishes were also only lukewarm, which I lay at the hands of our server -- she was very pleasant, but didn't pay very much attention to the table. I suspect that the food waited for her for a few minutes prior to being served. Empty beer and wine glasses from pre-dinner drinks also remained on the table throughout the meal. Considering numerous service issues identified in other recent reviews, this appears to be a management and/or training issue. If you are looking for high quality pasta dishes, look elsewhere.

mikemcd1, Owner at Fratellos Italian Grille, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor and I am truly sorry we fell short on the service. I would love to be able to follow up with my staff so if you could let me know when you were in and what you had I could work to fix these issues. My contact is mike@fratellos.com

Thank you again I appreciate it very much.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I'm surprised at some of the comments I've read because we had very attentive staff looking after us. The food was good, but very large portions from a British point of view. My wife and I shared a salad as a starter, and each bowl was the size you'd get in a British restaurant. The main courses were quite rich in their sauces but very tasty. We were too full to try their desserts. It was a little pricey with main courses starting at $18.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have to agree with another reviewer. I would like to go back as the food was very good. The staff are cold and I did feel uncomfortable. I felt like they didn't want us there. Like we were a bother. I would like to go back again, but I didn't like the way were were treated. It was our first time there and the woman at the door didn't bother to greet us, no direction on how to get seated, nothing. That's pretty basic service. Our waitress seemed unhappy, no conversation, no smile. Once we got our food, didn't check on us again even once until she brought our bill. It does draw an older crowd -- we were probably the youngest people in the restaurant (aside from the staff) and we are in our early 40's!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a nice-looking restaurant that serves up generous portions of carb-a-licious Italian food at medium-high prices. They make their own pasta here, and then have the gall to charge you extra for it. How times change, eh? Well, ok, I'll grudgingly swallow the surcharge for the fresh pasta. The service was pretty decent; friendly and prompt. The facility was clean. However, the food displayed inconsistent quality and expertise.

Our party of six ordered the Italian Sampler, which was a little bit over-fried (too crispy), but still within the boundaries of thumbs-up tasty. The Caesar salad I ordered was decent and flavorful (though missing anchovies), and they used what appeared to be good quality Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.

I then ordered the saltimbocca, which was unnaturally drenched in butter. The entire dish was literally swimming in butter. I have never had that experience with a saltimbocca in all my life. Did it taste good? Yeah, sure. But for a chef, this is cheating. I couldn't help suspect this was a technique being used to cover up for the fact that the chef didn't know how to make an actual saltimbocca, without using "butter soup" as a crutch. The butter overwhelmed the entire dish, and I didn't get much sage flavor (not to mention, who wants to eat a soggy veal cutlet?)

I should add that I did taste another party member's pasta with meatballs and marinara, and I found their sauce to be quite good.

Then came the dessert, which incidentally, they advertise in a showy display case right when you walk in the door. Unfortunately, this was the worst course of all. We ordered a couple pieces of tiramisu, which was downright awful. It was sour and tangy. Having clearly gone bad, it possessed flavors that tiramisu is just not supposed to possess. We sent it back; what a letdown. The server's attempt at reparation, the "chocolate tiramisu cake", was not an adequate substitute, as it contained none of the light creamy goodness that we were after in our tiramisu. It was taken off the bill, but really, what I wanted was to not end my meal with that horrible sour taste in my mouth.

Overall, I didn't have a pleasant enough experience here to go back without some kind of incentive to do so, such as a gift certificate and an assurance that the food consistency will be better next time. Barring that, I see no reason to take my restaurant dollars back here. It's too bad, because it seems like it could be a great place, if you're lucky enough to get good quality and good consistency. II just don't see myself being willing to gamble another dinner on that, any time soon.