“The ultimate wedding weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Purity Spring Resort

Purity Spring Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madison
Somerville, Massachusetts
“The ultimate wedding weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

We hosted our wedding at Purity Spring Resort, and found a hidden jewel of the White Mountains. The staff were attentive to our every request (Laurie Campbell especially was a whirlwind of coordination and planning) and the scenery was amazing.

The deluxe suite we stayed in (in the Mountainside Condos) was wonderfully maintained, with a hot tub, a king sized bed, and a kitchen. In previewing the site for our guests, we also stayed in the Lakeside Cottage once, which was also well appointed, and aptly named. We toured mid-price housing in King Pine and the economy housing in the lodges, to get a feel for what we were getting our guests into. It all looked quite nice and well maintained, and we heard only praise from our guests. The wide range of housing options available made it easy to accommodate guests with different needs -- families, groups of friends who wanted to stay together, guests on a budget, people with pets, etc.

Our guests enjoyed many of the resort facilities. The Mill housed a very nice pool and hot tub. We were lucky to have perfect weather, so lots of people spent time in the lake or relaxing on the shore. The resort has a floating "iceberg" climbing wall that challenged all but the most athletic of our guests. Many people took out canoes and kayaks. The children enjoyed all the playground equipment and toys.

The food was fantastic. Breakfast from the Traditions restaurant was included with everyone’s room. On the busy days, they put out a buffet breakfast, while on other days they made breakfast to order. We worked with their chef to produce a delicious wedding banquet buffet. Chef Trevor was also very helpful in making sure that all of our guests with special dietary needs had plenty to eat. Purity Spring provided a reasonably-priced sandwich buffet for one of our lunches and a delicious barbecue on the island in the middle of the lake for the other.

As the event organizers, one thing we particularly liked was that King Pine lodge has several different spaces we could use for different activities at the same time. Purity Spring also had no problem with us deciding to simply place a large order from a local pizza place for Friday night dinner (rather than trying to gouge us for every last nickel, like some other wedding venues we talked to). The only issues we had were a) the buildings are pretty far apart, so some of our guests had to either walk a fair way or get in a car to get where they wanted to be, b) there is almost no cell signal at the resort (which is either a positive or a negative, depending on your viewpoint) and c) while all of the buildings had wireless Internet, it was sometimes a little flaky (particularly in King Pine Lodge).

Every person we interacted with at Purity Spring, from the event coordinator to the waitstaff to the housekeeping staff, was friendly and helpful. Every time we asked them for something (and we had a lot of unusual requests), they found some way to accommodate it. When we showed up Friday morning totally stressed out, we knew after 5 minutes of talking with Laurie that everything would be fine -- and it was! We had exactly the wedding weekend we wanted, and we have Purity Spring Resort and its staff to thank for that.

We and all of our guests had a fantastic weekend together with fun activities, tasty food, and beautiful scenery. We had so much fun that our guests keep suggesting we do it again next year -- and we just might!

1 Thank Chris S
, Owner at Purity Spring Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
A happy bride & groom, … it doesn’t get any better than that!

Thank you for choosing Purity Spring Resort for your special day (and weekend). I appreciate your taking the time to share a review on TripAdvisor. I’m happy that you found our staff to be friendly, attentive and helpful throughout your time here. I have passed your compliments on to Laurie, Chef Trevor, and Carl (head of housekeeping) - I’m sure they’ll pass along your kind remarks to their staff.

It’s always nice when guests just relax and take in the beautiful scenery here at Purity Spring Resort, it’s amazing not matter what season you visit! There’s nothing more beautiful than the ride to the top of King Pine on the chairlift with a gorgeous view of the lake. The weather throughout the weekend was exceptional for your wedding, and was perfect for both the indoor and outdoor activities you had planned throughout the weekend.

I, along with the entire staff at Purity Spring Resort send our congratulations to you both as you start your new life together. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future – perhaps for your first anniversary!

Steven Hoyt
Lodging Manager, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

First impression: Reminds me of summer camp (wood-paneled "lodges", lake, fire pits, archery range) but with actual amenities (hot tub and pool, air conditioning, clean and bright bathrooms.)

We were part of a 200-large group there for a wedding in June -- definitely off-season since I don't think there were any other guests. Our room was meant for a larger group (double bed, twin bed and a set of bunk beds) but we had it to ourselves (one couple.) Room was as comfortable as a decent motel, and much cleaner. Basic cable in the room, not that we had a chance to watch any. Check-in and check-out were both quick and easy and very friendly.

Grounds were beautiful and well-kept. Main roads were all paved, but off-road paths were available. (Main path from our lodge to breakfast was lighted at night.) Lake was cold (we used heated pool and hot tub) but other, braver souls were having fun swimming. (Raft and "iceberg" -- inflatable float with climbing wall.) Also canoeing and kayaking.

Included breakfast buffet was tasty and plentiful. Didn't have a chance to check dinner. Staff was friendly and helfpul.

We look forward to going back next June for a anniversary repeat party.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We attended a wedding at Purity Spring and had an excellent visit.

I'm not sure how much of what I experienced comes from the various wedding organizers, and how much came from the Purity Spring staff, but it was clear that any activities which weren't "theirs" the staff helpfully supported.

Sure, a couple minor things happened which detracted from the experience. They were basically not things the staff could predict or control, and they coped well with all of these problems.

On the other hand we had a wonderful time. Pool, hot tub, lake for swimming with some sort of inflatable "iceberg" for climbing and diving.. Breakfast was a short walk from where we were staying, along a nice wide path (easy walking, not suitable for a wheelchair). There's a small playground near where we had breakfast which was very good for letting our daughter run around. Several relatively large common areas suitable for different activities, spaced far enough apart within the building that noise from one doesn't spill over into the others. The ceremony location at the top of the mountain made for some beautiful pictures.

Someone arranged for monitor-sitting for people with little kids when they went to bed, giving parents evenings "off". Glorious.

The variety of types of rooms worked in many people's favor. Someone who had dogs, for example, got a cabin which was separate from the others (so if they barked, it wouldn't bother anyone). A family of five got a single larger space. People with toddlers were put in rooms near the common areas. Some of this was the wedding organizers being thorough, but the important part (to me) was that even when changes happened at the last minute the staff was receptive and helpful.

Purity Spring made a good summer wedding destination. I would expect it to make a good family reunion site as well.

A quirk of their reservation system: if a room is in two people's names (say, you are friends sharing it) and you check in at different times the staff seems to have difficulty when the second person checks in.

Room Tip: They have a variety of rooms; work with the staff to figure out what is best for your desires, and a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I went to a friends weekend wedding. I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't expect to have this much of a good time.

I was placed with other friends in the Island View suite. It was clean, spacious (even with that many people staying), perfect for hanging out with friends at night in the screened in front porch. There was a kitchenette with refrigerator and dishwasher, coffee pot, iron & ironing board. It overlooked the lake which was nice and there was plenty of parking.

The wedding itself was incredible! Riding the ski lift up the mountain and watching my friends get married overlooking the most gorgeous mountain view was simply breathtaking.

THE STAFF WAS SO AMAZING! I remember thinking, wow!, they really seem to love their jobs! Especially when this wonderful woman (could it be THE Wonder Woman) bravely saved my friend from a tick single-handed when I was trying not to freak out! And when I forgot my swim gear, the staff at the store was friendly and helpful with my very particular (or picky some might say) tastes in swim gear. But I got kitted out and was in the indoor pool and hot tub while others enjoyed the lake and climbing ice berg (to each ze's own).

There was also kayaking, canoeing, hiking, tennis, a club house with many rooms for special activities, banquet hall with dance floor (where I "cut a rug" as the bride's mother told me :-D ), and many more delights!

One of the best parts was the last day, hanging out with everyone at the beach side, in the shadows of some trees on a nice sunny warm day while the staff served a yummy grilled lunch and talked and laughed with us as they watched over us to make sure we all had everything we needed.

I would suggest this place to anyone I care about but if you bring pets, make sure they are protected from ticks. And your kids and friends too. I don't know how often Wonder Woman works there so she may not always be around to the rescue :-)

Room Tip: 224 was awesome!
1 Thank Asher R
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I attended the same weekend-long wedding as Tamar A, and also stayed in the Tecumseh lodge. My experience was wholly different.

The wedding was amazing for many reasons -- good friendly people, puzzles, games, dancing, and great food included. Part of what made the weekend so nice was the resort itself. Tecumseh lodge is the resort's economy option. It was simply furnished, but clean and pleasant. My fiancee and I were both happy with it.

1 Thank Kansas_Dave
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

We attended a wedding at Purity Spring and were put in the Tecumseh lodge, not knowing what we were in for. Imagine the rattiest college dorm in all history, add in a layer of bugs, and that's Tecumseh. Had I known this is where we'd be stuck, I would have happily booked a room at a B&B down the road or really, anywhere else in NH.

For starters, the first thing you experience when you walk in is the smell of a rancid, sweaty sock; it's incredibly pervasive and clings to your clothing when you leave. Then there are the rooms. Sure, they're newly painted and have lovely TVs, but you're living dorm style. We had a room with five beds, the largest of which was a full size with a mattress that left me unable to stand after a night's sleep. The overhead light was a dim fluorescent bulb that was barely supplanted by the similarly dim lamps. There was no phone, no mini fridge, and no AC. Only one window opened since the other fell off its tracks. The kitchen stayed locked most of the weekend, meaning that any food we brought was stuck in an ice bucket or just went bad. Thin doors with no security: my keys opened at least one other room and there was a single flimsy lock that didn't always latch when we left.

Meanwhile, our friends had lovely suites with AC looking out over a lake. We were shocked to know that some had freezers that could store food or that had pull-out couches. Again, had we known what we were getting, we would have paid extra or gone somewhere else.

The people are lovely and the setting is beautiful, but if anyone ever invites you up, don't go.

Room Tip: Don't go into any lodge. Period.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tamar A
PuritySpring, Owner at Purity Spring Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Purity Spring Resort. I appreciate your compliments to our staff and I’m glad you enjoyed the beautiful setting.

I am, however, sincerely sorry that your room wasn't to your liking. The “economy” lodge where you were placed does in fact have dorm-style rooms – beds, bathroom, phone & TV - no frills, but clean and comfortable. The Tecumseh lodge is often chosen by groups, family reunions etc., as the setting is perfect for large numbers of folks wanting to have their own space at a more affordable rate. Our goal at Purity Spring Resort is always to deliver a wonderful experience to all of our guests.

I am concerned because I was unable to find many of the problems you mentioned. We did find one window in need of repair, which has already been attended to by the maintenance department.

Again, I apologize that the room was not what you were expecting. Had I, or anyone on my staff known that the room was not satisfactory, we would have happily moved you to another room in the resort.

Guest satisfaction is very important to us. Customer service and cleanliness are of top priority and I would like to address the issues you had immediately, but unfortunately, have no way of contacting you. I have emailed through Trip Advisor asking you to contact me to discuss in detail the issues you listed. Please call me directly at 603.367.4000 so your specific concerns can be addressed in a timely manner.

I hope that you will consider visiting Purity Spring Resort again in the future. My staff and I would like you to experience the best that Purity Spring has to offer.

Steven Hoyt
Lodging Manager, Owner
Bridgewater, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

We decided to take a winter vacation that was within driving distance, included outdoor winter activities, indoor water activities and shopping.

This was the perfect Northeast destination. The resort was beautiful, staff was fantastic, skiing was great for our kids - who are beginners ( 4 and 10 years old ) - lodging was spacious ( with character ) and the outlet shopping in North Conway ( 20 minutes ) was great.

Large ski hills are also close if experienced skiers want to escape for a day. Our family also enjoyed the variety, with a skating rink, downhill tubing, large indoor pool and hot tub and the indoor water park withing 30 minutes.

I fabulous family memory

The Dowes'

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank John D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
White Mountain Hotel and Resort
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#6 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Purity Spring Resort? Share your experiences!