“A home away from home”

Breakfast on the Connecticut
Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2006

After 8 wonderful days here, I felt as if I were leaving home! John and Donna Anderson were very warm and helpful. The food was "to die for" and it was hard to make a choice from the two gourmet entrees. Only on the last day did we get wise; my husband ordered one and I ordered the other, and then we shared. When Donna discovered my reading tastes, she even suggested titles that I might like. When we asked John for restaurant suggestions, he not only provided a two page listing of restaurants, but spent a half hour telling us what to expect in many of the choices. As a result, we had great experiences every meal we ate out. They encouraged us to use the dining room accomodations for nights we chose to stay in. Their suggestions for roads to take and sights to see were unfailingly accurate. Over the course of our stay, we realized the attention we received was also given to their other guests. The setting of this B & B is beautiful, and the house is very comfortable. We expecially appreciated the quiet atmosphere, the radiant heat, and the cleanliness of the entire B & B. The rooms are small, which in this case is good because you can go to one of several sitting rooms to read quietly or visit with other guests. We have already recommended this B & B to family and friends, and we would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank mthomasjones
There are newer reviews for Breakfast on the Connecticut

Washington DC
Reviewed June 14, 2006

The location is indeed beautiful, and we couldn't have asked for more wonderful weather and setting. We were at the inn with a wedding party (most of the inn was occupied with guests and the rehearsal dinner and reception were on the inn's grounds). It was obvious from the beginning of our 3 night stay that the hosts felt completely over their heads with putting on the dinners and catering to their full inn. We often were in the same room (the open kitchen doesn't allow for much privacy) as the hosts complained loudly about other guests, about how difficult the weekend events were for them, etc. They were generally unwelcoming and sometimes rude (interrupting our breakfast one morning, for instance, so that my husband could pay the remainder of the cost of our stay). The staff seemed overeager to shut down the parties at night and were constantly taking away our plates and cups while we were trying to eat dinner. Although the food was good, it was odd that there was never an option at breakfast that contained any kind of meat. Although the wedding was beautiful, we will never return to this inn.

• Stayed: May 2006
Management response:Responded July 5, 2006

As I sit here with a thank-you note in hand from the bride and groom, I am prompted to respond to this review.

The bride had recently converted to Judaism and asked that we not serve pork products - ie bacon, sausage or ham. And in deference to her vegetarian guests, asked that we make breakfast as friendly to them as possible. Hence, no breakfast meats.

I don't know of any Hilton, Marriot, Best Western etc. that would give a guest a key and let them enter a room without going through the check-in process. This couple arrived very late and were greeted with a welcome message and the key to their room. However, we certainly expected, as our other late arrivals do, to check-in with us before they sit down to breakfast. Courtesy on their part would not have necessitated us asking them to do so that morning.

We have an open kitchen - guests can view and talk with the innkeepers during the entire breakfast. This is how the Inn was constructed and there are no plans to change that. The dining room is a separate room where guests can talk and visit or the porch is open in good weather for dining as well. What you saw was the preparation and bustle for a breakfast to feed 30+, a rehearsal dinner that night for 67, and the advance prep for a wedding dinner to feed 67. Additionally, we had requests for our canoes, bikes, scissors, paper, wedding cards, and accomodating the bride's family to set up the flowers. It is no wonder the level of activity was high. However, all must have worked out because as stated "the food was good".

Initially the bride had reserved the entire Inn including our Guest House - several weeks before the event she released the Guest House and we were able to fill it with non wedding guests. The bride had agreed with us beforehand on the time to end the music etc. not only because of our rural neighbors but also because we now had non wedding guests and they deserved a quiet, restful stay.

Our wait staff for breakfast and for both the rehearsal and wedding dinners have a number of years experience. We even imported a Food Operations Manager from a large property in Providence, Rhode Island. Dishes or glassware are never removed without first asking the affected party. We never rushed anyone at any time during the weekend.

As I stated earlier, I received a wonderful thank you from the bride and groom for a job well done. We received numerous comments on the quality of the food and the service from many guests. As a matter of fact, I had to email the recipe for several dishes to several function attendees. All in all, if the bride and groom are happy, I feel we have done our job.

Reviewed February 22, 2006

The main road to the inn was not plowed when we had our visit. This caused us some concern becuase we are not from the area and do not have 4 wheel drive. The snow was high enough to hit the undercarriage of the car. When we went out for dinner we got stuck trying to leave becuase the road has a large hill you have to go up to leave.

When we arrived there was a man in the kitchen (which is open to the rest of the common area, yet off limit to guests) who didn't introduce himself yet told us some one would be right with us. About ten mins after waiting in the common area, with him puttering around in the kitchen did someone come to check us it. That seemed a little odd to me.

The keys are on giant spoons which you are not allowed to take with you when you leave, they ask you leave it on the counter in the kitchen. I disliked leaving my keys in a public place where anyone could take them.

I know people have given this place a great review, but there are some odd features to this B&B. Each room does have a bath room but it isn't in a separate room. Im sorry but this is an extremly odd set up. If you are going away with a non loved on be prepared to go sit in the common area while someone takes a shower, as it is part of the room. Our sink was on the opposite side of the room by the door. There are no closets just a bar to put clothes on. The toliet is in a enclosed space. However compared to other B&B the decor was nice, it wasn't to loud with any particular theme decorations. (ex country, flowers) Our room did have a gas stove, which was nice, but it made some odd noises that started to annoy my husband.

I have never once seen a B&B that attaches the TV to the wall like a hospital room. This placement made the room less homey to me.

The breakfast was very good, I will agree with that. Delicous french toast, some kind of bread and cereal was available. As for the hosts. I found them nice but easily confused and overeager. The evening we were there, they had some kind of dinner for themselves and some other people in the common area. It was just odd to come and go in the B&B and feel like you were invading someones preparing and eating in the kitchen.

I don't think I would ever come back to this establishment, but somewhat enjoyed my stay while I was here.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wallingford, CT
Reviewed January 1, 2006

This is a wonderful place to stay. My husband and I stayed for a NY Eve package and it was perfect. The B&B is CLEAN and Donna and John are friendly and helpful. We had wonderful breakfasts and they were more than helpful when helping us plan fun and interesting activities to fill our day. We will be back, this was a great place to stay!!!

• Stayed: January 2006
Reviewed October 16, 2005

This B&B looked lovely on the web -- nice photos, well located in relation to Dartmouth, etc. However, upon arrival for a 4-night stay, we found our room to be downright odd. The tub was, indeed, behind a curtain in the bedroom, and the toilet was in a closet. The innkeepers were civil but not exactly welcoming, and the posted list of rules about not entering the kitchen, using the guest refrigerator, using the A/C, etc., seemed a bit strong. We'll try another option when we're in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank FormerLAgal
Reviewed October 3, 2005

You hear about quaint little spots like this, but when you get there they usually disappoint. Not this one though!

I fear that I will gush too much and dilute the facts with sentiment.

Suffice it to say. I have booked a yearly stay.

Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank GeoffreyMe
Middletown, CT
Reviewed September 29, 2005

I must say that both of my stays at Breakfast on the Connecticut were absolutely incredible. The location, the atmosphere, and all the amenities allow a guest to completely relax miles away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Starting the day with a breakfast beyond comparison could be followed by a quick walk through the woods. Or perhaps biking or canoeing might be more your style. Whichever the case, Breakfast on the Connecticut is built to please and does not miss on any level.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Lebanon
Residence Inn by Marriott Hanover Lebanon
Element Hanover-Lebanon

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!