“Like family”

Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Like family”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Our son attends camp nearby and we have probably stayed at Breakfast on the Connecticut over a dozen times in the past few years. Donna and John are always friendly and welcoming. The rooms are the best part - overlooking the river and rural New England fields. It is Very Quiet there - a wonderful getaway - a great place to get a restful night's sleep. There are a number of nice restaurants nearby near Hanover, NH and central Vermont. Breakfasts feature homemade meals with fresh fruit and companionable conversation. Once in late June returning from an evening meal, we saw the most amazing sight - a field with the air full of fireflies. Maybe an acre was alit - brimming with little points of light. Stunning. There is a nice lawn and deck where you can enjoy the cool New England breezes. And you can stroll down the hill and kayak or canoe onto the river. Donna and John are very plugged in to their community and provide expert restaurant and local attraction references along with the latest restaurant trends. Our New England home away from home... Heartily recommended!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MatchatankDeb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 30, 2009

OK.... I read the reviews on various B&B's near Dartmouth for several weeks while planning my first trip back to the college in 25 years for my reunion. I didn't want to stay in the dorms, because I was coming from California and wanted a special experience. Also, it took me four years to study my way out of those old, smelly dorm cells. And I confirmed that they haven't changed much.

So, I came across all the old standards (the Hanover Inn, Norwich Inn, Trumbull House...), all with their own unique character, cost and style. Then further on in the list, I found Breakfast on the Connecticut, in nearby Lyme. I read the reviews -- most good, and one fairly critical. An older alum friend told me to give it a chance as he'd been there for a wedding and thought it was great. I did, and found it to be an amazing gem, hidden in the woods along the banks of the river.

It sits just off River Road, about 20 minutes from Hanover (12 miles about). Get good directions before you go because its nestled on its own 20 plus acre lot, among many other large country farms and estates. Off River Road, you drive down its long private road (400 yards), through its private fields and wooded area, to a large, modern Country Inn. (Photos 1-2).

The Inn keepers are a husband and wife (Donna and John Andersen). They're quiet, friendly people who know the area, and work to allow you your space and rest. John seemed to handle most of the up-keep and waiting, and Donna all the cooking and nuturing. Thank God. Because, the lady's a great breakfast cook.

The common areas were comfortable and clean, with views off the back dinning area and porch towards the grounds and river. (Photos 3-4). My room in the main house was roomy and clean, with a fine bath area in the room. (Photo 5-6).

The grounds were quiet, secluded, and immense. They cried out for me to take a Thoreauian walk -- which I did, as an escape from the reunion madness. On my 60 minute walk back to, then down River Road to the covered bridge and back, I found wood peckers, toads and dear, and waived at one neighbor. The rest of my journey, I had to myself.

You can't beat the location for its beauty. Hope this helps. Eric

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank EricTLosAngeles_CA
philadelphia pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My wife and I were looking for a beautiful New England getaway and we found one in Breakfast on the Connecticut. We were there during the height of the fall season and the views were spectacular!!!! The inn sits on top of a hill overlooking the Connecticut River and we sat for hours outside on the lawn chairs just enjoying the view and the peace and quiet.

The hosts were very nice and extremely attentive. Each day we would come back to a clean room/beds made. The breakfast was incredible with Belguim waffles, Breakfast Burritos, homemade breads, muffins, and fresh fruit EVERYDAY!!!! In the afternoon often the leftover breads or muffins were left out as snacks - Yum!

As for things to do the innkeepers gave us wonderful suggestions and we took advantage of the bikes and canoes they had available on the premise. Each night we relaxed in our room watching one of the movies from their free video library! The innkeepers provided us with soda, bottled water, and even a toothbrush when we realized we had forgotten one.

What else can I say - if you are looking for a wonderful place to stay and want to be treated like royalty Breakfast on the Connecticut is the place to go. We can't wait to return and thanks John and Donna for a memorable experience!!!!!!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mmcshea001
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 13, 2007

Where do I begin?! The purpose of our trip was to attend a wedding last summer...unfortunately we experienced tornado conditions the night before we were due to leave, allowing for no available flights to Manchester the next morning. I called the owner as soon as I got the news letting him know I'd only be able to fufill one night of the reservation instead of two. To which he nicely responded "Don't worry, we can talk about that when you get here." Of course, as soon as I arrived and was surrounded by other wedding guests he rudely told me, "There's nothing we can do." Off to a good start!

We thoroughly agree with the other comments on this site in tems of general mistreatment of guests. Signs everywhere saying "Don't Touch", a lot of undeserved attitude while serving breakfast, etc . It should be noted that one of the reasons the owners keep the keys on ridiculous huge wooden spoons is so that they can have access to guests' rooms whenever they see fit. On the hottest day of the summer, when we came back to our room, the AC had been shut off! My fiance was convinced other items of ours had been touched as well.

Most unfortunately, the groom had planned a small gathering post-reception for the inn guests in the "cabin" located on the inn property. Upon returning from the rehearsal dinner, the group found a note left for the groom in huge letters saying "There will be no party...bla bla bla." All of the guests were well above the legal drinking age and very respectable people. As no one would need to drive anywhere afterwards and the cabin was far enough away form the main building that it wouldn't be a disturbance to any of the other guests (although I think everyone there that weekend was with the wedding!) We couldn't fathom the reason for this ludicrous mandate, especially to a couple on their wedding night???

I also feel compelled to mention that when my friends convinced me to dispute the charge as the reason behind our no-show was an "act of god"... the owner had the gaul to lie to my credit card company saying I stayed both nights! Appalling!

Its really a shame because the inn is located in a beautiful natural setting. Its just too bad the owners are so rude and clearly dishonest. We will NEVER return.

Stayed August 2007
7 Thank ers5349
California
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We had an outstanding top to bottom experience at this extremely well run, clean and high quality Bed and Breakfast . The hosts are an articulate and organized couple who were most helpful, providing us with maps and points of interest recommendations. The breakfast is incredibly good -- gourmet level and made to order. The Inn is located on a beautiful piece of propoerty facing the Connecticut river. Suffice it to say that there is no false advertising on their website. Highly recommended -- we will return.

• Liked — LOCATION, FOOD, CLEANLINESS, HOSPITALITY
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Austinchester
Huntley, Il
Reviewed October 14, 2006

After 8 wonderful days here, I felt as if I were leaving home! John and Donna Anderson were very warm and helpful. The food was "to die for" and it was hard to make a choice from the two gourmet entrees. Only on the last day did we get wise; my husband ordered one and I ordered the other, and then we shared. When Donna discovered my reading tastes, she even suggested titles that I might like. When we asked John for restaurant suggestions, he not only provided a two page listing of restaurants, but spent a half hour telling us what to expect in many of the choices. As a result, we had great experiences every meal we ate out. They encouraged us to use the dining room accomodations for nights we chose to stay in. Their suggestions for roads to take and sights to see were unfailingly accurate. Over the course of our stay, we realized the attention we received was also given to their other guests. The setting of this B & B is beautiful, and the house is very comfortable. We expecially appreciated the quiet atmosphere, the radiant heat, and the cleanliness of the entire B & B. The rooms are small, which in this case is good because you can go to one of several sitting rooms to read quietly or visit with other guests. We have already recommended this B & B to family and friends, and we would go back in a heart beat!

• Liked — llocation, food, and hosts
  • Disliked — small room
  • Tips/Secrets — seek travel and dining tips from hosts
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank mthomasjones
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2006

The location is indeed beautiful, and we couldn't have asked for more wonderful weather and setting. We were at the inn with a wedding party (most of the inn was occupied with guests and the rehearsal dinner and reception were on the inn's grounds). It was obvious from the beginning of our 3 night stay that the hosts felt completely over their heads with putting on the dinners and catering to their full inn. We often were in the same room (the open kitchen doesn't allow for much privacy) as the hosts complained loudly about other guests, about how difficult the weekend events were for them, etc. They were generally unwelcoming and sometimes rude (interrupting our breakfast one morning, for instance, so that my husband could pay the remainder of the cost of our stay). The staff seemed overeager to shut down the parties at night and were constantly taking away our plates and cups while we were trying to eat dinner. Although the food was good, it was odd that there was never an option at breakfast that contained any kind of meat. Although the wedding was beautiful, we will never return to this inn.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Managing Partner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this review, July 5, 2006
As I sit here with a thank-you note in hand from the bride and groom, I am prompted to respond to this review.

The bride had recently converted to Judaism and asked that we not serve pork products - ie bacon, sausage or ham. And in deference to her vegetarian guests, asked that we make breakfast as friendly to them as possible. Hence, no breakfast meats.

I don't know of any Hilton, Marriot, Best Western etc. that would give a guest a key and let them enter a room without going through the check-in process. This couple arrived very late and were greeted with a welcome message and the key to their room. However, we certainly expected, as our other late arrivals do, to check-in with us before they sit down to breakfast. Courtesy on their part would not have necessitated us asking them to do so that morning.

We have an open kitchen - guests can view and talk with the innkeepers during the entire breakfast. This is how the Inn was constructed and there are no plans to change that. The dining room is a separate room where guests can talk and visit or the porch is open in good weather for dining as well. What you saw was the preparation and bustle for a breakfast to feed 30+, a rehearsal dinner that night for 67, and the advance prep for a wedding dinner to feed 67. Additionally, we had requests for our canoes, bikes, scissors, paper, wedding cards, and accomodating the bride's family to set up the flowers. It is no wonder the level of activity was high. However, all must have worked out because as stated "the food was good".

Initially the bride had reserved the entire Inn including our Guest House - several weeks before the event she released the Guest House and we were able to fill it with non wedding guests. The bride had agreed with us beforehand on the time to end the music etc. not only because of our rural neighbors but also because we now had non wedding guests and they deserved a quiet, restful stay.

Our wait staff for breakfast and for both the rehearsal and wedding dinners have a number of years experience. We even imported a Food Operations Manager from a large property in Providence, Rhode Island. Dishes or glassware are never removed without first asking the affected party. We never rushed anyone at any time during the weekend.

As I stated earlier, I received a wonderful thank you from the bride and groom for a job well done. We received numerous comments on the quality of the food and the service from many guests. As a matter of fact, I had to email the recipe for several dishes to several function attendees. All in all, if the bride and groom are happy, I feel we have done our job.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Lebanon
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!