“Loved it!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Acton, Massachusetts
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had a wonderful stay here for a quick summer getaway. The view is spectacular and the inn is very homey, with every convenience you might need. Our kids especially enjoyed the DVD selection. Wifi is available but spotty in the more distant rooms. Linens were soft and pretty. A/C in the room. We had a powder room and a large whirlpool tub/shower in the room with a room divider for privacy. We stayed in a pet-friendly room which would be comfy for the whole family. We enjoyed the cool composite flooring. Our host Donna was a whiz in the kitchen and very helpful with suggestions and directions. The pumpkin cranberry muffins were to die for and we were almost too full for the main breakfast entree. Sorry to leave but hope to visit again in another season.

Room Tip: 15 rooms to choose from. We liked that room 14 was further away from the main house.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank deniseo39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
boston,ma
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Just enjoyed a holiday weekend at this lovely b&b. The surrounding area is very picturesque with the inn located right on the Conneticutt river. Our room had nice views and was spacious , comfortable and very clean. A delicious home cooked breakfast was provided every morning. The inn keepers were friendly and helpful, never intrusive. We went canoeing (canoes and kayaks are available) on the scenic river and really enjoyed our relaxing stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I booked a short weekend getaway for me, my boyfriend, my sister and our friends for my 28th birthday in July 2012 (Trip Advisor did not let me select as far back as July 2012, so I selected July 2013 from the drop down menu. I have been meaning to write his review for the longest time...but never got around to it, hence the issue with the date). Anyways...back to my trip. It really was lovely and I can't believe it's been two years already. Firstly...the location is stunning. Breakfast on The CT is located in the mountains on a beautiful point overlooking a meadow (also owned by the B&B), which leads to the River. The buildings of the B&B are painted in a pretty sunshine yellow colour, and there are beautiful trees everywhere. It makes for a wonderful mini photoshoot (which we did soon after arriving). My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the more expensive king size bedrooms in the main building...while my sister and our friends stayed in the cheaper rooms in the Shaker Barn building that adjoins the main inn building. We loved our room. We stayed in the Room 5 King room, while our friends stayed in rooms 10 & 11 in the adjoining 12 sided "Shaker Barn" section of the inn. Everyone was very happy with their respective accommodations. I went down and visited their rooms and thought they were very clean, cute and quaint. We obviously had the jacuzzi tub and a better view, but we paid more for our room than our friends did, specifically for those extras. The entire place has so much character, and I felt like it was all that I had hoped it would be. Quaint, pretty, clean, welcoming, and comfortable.
The innkeepers were very pleasant and welcoming, and chatted with us about our plans. We took some drinks out to the point, sat in the lovely chairs, looked out over the breathtaking view and took some pictures. We went for dinner at a restaurant recommended on the inn website, Peyton's Place. Dinner was lovely, and then we returned and hung out in the living room and had a few glasses of wine.
The following morning, we woke up to the most beautiful view of the trees and sunshine. We went to breakfast which was delicious and took some pictures outside after. We were booked to go to a King Arthur Flour cake baking class (I LOVE to cook). The class was actually supposed to be the highlight of my birthday weekend, but it was not as good as I had anticipated. Instead...the beautiful inn, our bedroom and the lovely surroundings ended up being the best part of my trip. After the class we returned to our inn and made use of the kayaks/canoes and went rowing up the river which was a lot of fun! We raced each other up and down the river and had a lovely time.
At the end of our trip I was so sad to leave. We all had such a great time and our friends keep asking us when we are going to go back for another lovely Breakfast on the CT trip. I had a wonderful birthday and the best part of the whole weekend was the inn and the rooms and the view, and the fun that we had there! I am only sorry that my write up does not fully describe what a wonderful time I had for my birthday.
Thank You Breakfast on The Connecticut for helping me to have such a wonderful birthday trip. Can't wait to return!
Danica

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Danica C
Holyoke, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 9, 2014

In February four of us returned to Breakfast on the CT for the third year in a row. It never disappoints. This has become a "relief from cabin fever" weekend andhelps those of us who live in the northeast get through the cold, grey wet days to come. It begins with a smiling welcome from John or Donna. We have already chosen our preferred rooms {#1 for us with the king size bed on the first floor} Warm red patterned quilt and pillows brighten what is probably a cold wet day outside. From thereon, it's a matter of selecting the book I want to read, settling at a table to do a crossword puzzle, or taking a nap. Dinner will be at oone of our two favorite places nearby: Peyton Place or Ariana's, both in Orford. A bit of the brandy we brought with us as we quietly chat in the living room will finish the day/
Dona's breakfasts are the stuff dreams are made of so we sit with anticipation to view the day's choices. Can't say which I have enjoyed most. Can say they are all ourtageously good. The Andersons don't even mind when we tell them we're not going sightseeing today but have decided on playing dominoes in the dining room. THis year we opted to take a look at the Ice Skating going on at lake Morey. Several of the young teams of the Pond Hockey pllayers were staying at the inn. Another delicious meal out and back for brandy and bed. Could anyone ask for more?
If you are looking for lots of outdoor activities, places to visit and shop [Farm Way, King Arthur] or a quiet nourishing retreat, Breakfast on the Connecticut has it all: Gracious hosts, fantastic breakfasts, spotlessly clean rooms and an ambiance that will make you want to stay - or at least come back again and again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nobie H
Randolph, Vermont
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I just returned from 3 1/2 days at Breakfast on the Connecticut, sharing the space with at least 20 other women at a quilting retreat. It was the perfect place to be. The rooms are very nice and tastefully decorated. Nice quilts in each room. The innkeepers were so friendly and accommodating. The meals were 5 star, very delicious and always ample snacks to enjoy while we sewed. it was very cold so we didn't venture out much but you could tell it was a beautiful, peaceful location. It is very close to many attractions but nice to come back to this quiet setting. We are all looking forward to next year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Donna51047, Owner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
I think I had as much fun as I hope the quilters had. And the quilt tops that were sewn were spectacular. Even the small projects were so great that we all asked for kits. Watching the ladies sure got me fired up - I need to start to finish some of my outstanding projects. It was truly a pleasure being around such creative women.
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast on the Connecticut was quite simply a place we need to go back to. Unfortunately we could only stay one night. The rooms were great and the open window sleeping is unbeatable. Sit on the river with a glass of wine (bring your own) and watch the sun go down-sweet! The owners are extremely nice and the breakfast was superb. Don't come here if you like noise. The silence is overwhelming. We felt guilty leaving as soon as we did!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
North Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were pleased that such a wonderful getaway would be so secluded and picturesque. Location is close to Vermont and its number of covered bridges, gorges, small towns and wildlife, that we had hoped to see. Dartmouth and Hanover were part of our destination plans and only a short drive away. Breakfast was yummy and accommodations were comfortable. Our shower and sink were in our bedroom, but the only complaint we had was the movable shower head- difficult to hold and bathe at same time.Our windows and small deck faced the river and we traveled the driveway with deer and wild turkey. Polar (family dog) greeted us outside. Finding a place to eat dinner, especially on Sunday evening was a challenge, if we wanted to stay close. But we found that to be the case as we traveled the rest of the week in New Hampshire and Maine.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
#1 of 2 in Hanover
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Element Hanover-Lebanon

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!