“Another great stay at this establishment”

Breakfast on the Connecticut
Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Oregon
“Another great stay at this establishment”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I travel from the west coast at least once a year to visit family in Hanover and always stay at Breakfast on the Connecticut. John and Donna do a wonderful job of making me feel at home. Donna is an accomplished baker and chef, making great breakfasts. The rooms are always comfortable, clean, and quiet. The setting is beautiful, with a scenic drive through Lyme into Hanover. I am happy to recommend this establishment.

David Benedict

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend and had a great time. The rooms are well appointed and clean. The grounds where well kept and the staff very friendly. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Greenfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I chose "B on the C" via a web site of B&B's. My husband and I needed to do a quick business stop near Windsor VT and we decided to make a weekend out of it. I had a location in mind but not being sure of the area (mid Vermont/New Hampshire) I just took a stab at it. B on the C is off the beaten path (and then some because the main road to get there is closed! Good thing we had GPS to find another route) and lovely and quiet. The view from the back yard down to the river is beautiful. On our arrival we were greeted by both innkeepers and fresh cookies were being put out for a snack! The common rooms are nice and airy and the breakfast room full of windows. John gave us a mini tour, suggested restaurants for dinner and then led us to our room, where he explained all of the things we needed to know. Our room was great. Super king bed, beautiful windows and skylight, a gas fireplace/stove and my favorite, a jacuzzi tub. (When going to a B&B a jacuzzi is one of my main hopes!!) The tub is in the room which is nice because you don't feel stuck in the bathroom while you soak. Also the WiFi and cell service is great, especially being out in the country. We went for dinner at one of Johns suggested spots, Stella's which was fantastic! We enjoyed a DVD from the extensive library afterwards and had a good sleep. Breakfast in the morning was very nice. Yummy croissant french toast for me and a south-westerny baked omelet for my husband. Excellent. Plus fresh coffee cake, fresh fruit,yogurts and cereals. Great coffee too! John was very helpful suggesting places to see on our way home, which was a difficult task seeing many attractions are closed at this time of the year, but he still found lots of options for us. Good stay all in all!

Room Tip: Our room was on the driveway side, but still very quiet and very nice. I recommend the king rooms wh...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We have stayed at a number of B & B through out the USA and this is definitely one of favorites. Donna & John are great hosts . The setting next to the Connecticut River is
beautiful. We enjoy the location as we love to day trip. We have day tripped to Burlington,
Mount Washington, shaker village, Kilington, Stowe, Ben & Jerry's, down hwy 100 in Vermont
Lake country in N.H. and etc. We've also attended football games at nearby Dartmouth in
Hanover just down the road. Great restaurants near by especially the Italian restaurant in
Bradford . Farmway a must visit also Quechee Falls. Donna makes some great bkfts
and John is very informative about the area. We can't wait to get back. Mar & El Freier

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank el f
Lunenburg, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have never stayed at a B&B before - I am used to staying at hotels, and was a little hesitant to book a stay because I thought the stay might be awkward. Boy, was I wrong. I had my first B&B experience at Breakfast on the Connecticut, and it was truly wonderful. The inn itself was just beautiful. The grounds were huge and our room had a great view of the Connecticut River to wake up to each morning. The innkeepers, John and Donna, were very knowledgeable about the area, giving tips and helpful advice on where to see in the area, and breakfast each morning was just amazing. There were plenty of choices each morning, including cold cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee and juice as well as two freshly made grill choices each morning. The blueberry pancakes and western quiche bake were both wonderful, but we cannot stop telling our friends about the fabulous french toast that was made from a croissant soaked in orange juice and Grand Marnier! As an aspiring pastry chef, I can appreciate the work that went into making that dish, and it will be one I try to re-create at home for sure. I feel that after our weekend, we've found a better way to stay and will be looking for B&B's instead of hotels in the future. We've already discussed going back to the area this summer to see more of what the area has to offer, and would be happy to stay with John and Donna again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole S
Donna51047, Owner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Thank you for your positive review. If you would like the recipe for the Citrus Croissant French Toast I would be more than happy to send it to you. Just pop me an email request. Good luck on your future vocation plans!
MA
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed at the inn with three friends as part of our baking weekend at King Arthur Flour. The inn keepers are friendly, warm, and wonderful hosts. Our freshly cooked breakfast was more than ample and included the options of cereal, fresh fruit, coffee cake, yogurt etc.

The room is quite comfortable and very clean.

In addition to being a great place for couples, it can also easily accommodate families; therefore, it might not be the right place for a couple wanting a couple's-only destination.

Since the grounds were snow/iced over, I wasn't able to fully appreciate all the inn and area has to offer (and since I was really there to attend a baking class which used up my time). However, I am considering booking a short family stay this summer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Donna51047, Owner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you so much for the review - we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you had a wonderful time at The King Arthur Baking Center and took home lots of goodies for your family. Have a happy and successful 2012.
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My family (2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog) and extended family (elderly Aunt and Uncle) stayed for 2 nights over the Christmas holiday. The B&B was a perfect choice for us. The rooms, one on the main floor and one upstairs, were nicely sized, with chairs and a desk/table. They were also warm - with heated floors and a gas fireplace upstairs. The flat screen TVs were also a hit, especially with the DVD library they provided that contained so many great films.

And the breakfast both days was simply delicious - homemade blueberry pancakes and a western egg bake on one day, along with fresh fruit, coffee cake and cranberry bread, coffee, yogurt, juice, and more. It was really nice to have a delicious warm breakfast (with choices) in a stunning glass room when the snow flurries started. Two other things should be noted: 1) the innkeepers really made us comfortable and even accommodated a last minute request to add a twin bed in our room; and 2) the cell/wifi coverage at the Inn is strong and fast (which is very unusual in the area). We highly recommend this inn and will be back the next time we visit family!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Six South St Hotel
Six South St Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hanover
Residence Inn Hanover Lebanon

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!