“Never again”
Review of Dowds' Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyme
Dowds' Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Dowds' Country Inn this summer. While the Inn, grounds and gardens are pretty, breakfast was good, the comfort of the beds and ventilation ruined the whole experience.
We checked in between 9:00 and 9:30 PM and were very discourteously greeted by the clerk who informed us that we were late and that he had almost left.
Our first night there was very warm and humid. The air conditioning in our room was not cooling well at all. My whole family did not sleep well all night. I slept about one hour. The lack of a decent air conditioner in the room was not the only problem. The mattress was terrible and I can only guess cheap.

We asked to be moved the next day and were accomodated. We were placed in a larger room, which was attractive enough. The outdoor temperature had dropped and it seemed that this air conditioner worked better than the one in the room we had
stayed in the first night. However, the mattress once again was awful. Simply by placing my hand on the mattress, I could feel the springs. Every time one of us turned in bed, a noisy cascade of spring movement was set in motion, like a waterfall. Still a very bad night's sleep.

The service at breakfast was cheerful and prompt. The food was good, except the butter had a slightly off taste to it, not sure if it was not too fresh, or just the flavor. There was only one other group in the breakfast room at the time.

Cleanliness- The bathrooms were clean. It was hard to tell how clean the room itself was because the lighting was somewhat dim. Some of the upholstered furniture was dirty. Notably a chair in our room had a big stain on the seat, which looked like someone had an accident on the chair. That was unappealing, and I would expect that most hoteliers would have removed the chair from the room or reuphosletered it. Other uphosletered furniture in the lobby seemed a little dirty.

Thr grounds themnselves were attractive and the view out the window of the breakfast room of a patio and garden was nice.

We would definitely not stay here again.

4  Thank peripateticpeg
There are newer reviews for Dowds' Country Inn

NH
Reviewed May 17, 2006

I had almost the same experience as the review below. I had my wedding there last year and while the event itself was very happy- there were a few problems that were not addressed as people who are in the hospitality service should. Planning the event and the problems afterwards leave me with absolutely no good feelings about that place whatsoever. Some "members" of the staff we extremely unprofessional during the whole process and afterwards, they too did not return a large amount of my deposit money. It took months of correspondence to get SOME of it back. I cannot even go into detail with the problems I had. In fact, I knew before the event there would be problems but it was too late to get my deposit back.

It is a beautiful place and for the most part the staff is very nice (including the events planner- no problems with him). I am left with saddness more than anything on my memories of my wedding there.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed January 31, 2006

I recently stayed at the Dowd's Country Inn in Lyme, New Hampshire while interviewing at Dartmouth. I paid $85 a night, which was cheaper than the going rate for most neighboring inns.

I was one of the only two guests in the hotel, so perhaps my experience was more personalized than usual. Check-in was effortless, Ms. Dowd herself helped me carry my baggage up to my room, which was on the second floor of the house. After settling in and a short nap, I had tea in the fireplace parlor, and then I set out for the day. Upon returning my bed had been made, and the sheets turned down.

I would complain that the mattress was not in the best condition - I could feel a spring or two. The room was also pretty cold in the mornings - but perhaps this is normal for New England in the winter. However, the room was clean and charming, and the bathroom also well kept and stocked with basic amenities.

The next day I woke up and had an omelet breakfast in their dining room, which was delicious, and served to my table. I left for the morning, and my bed had again been made. After a nap, I again had tea, this time with some chocolate cake, and then set out. Again, bed had been made, and sheets turned down.

Breakfast was again lovely the next morning, and check-out a breeze. I had used the telephone to make some calls from my room, because there is no cell phone signal available in Lyme. However the charges were reasonable, only $0.25 per minute for out of area calls.

The inn is one 10 minute road away from Dartmouth College. There is not a lot to do, see, or eat in Lyme, but again, Hanover and Dartmouth College are 10 minutes away. Vermont is also just a bridge crossing away, and breakfast/tea is served everyday.

I wouldn't come here expecting luxury linens, room service, or gourmet dining. This place is nice for someone who is traveling alone, is looking for moderately priced accommodation, and some hospitality. Oh, and a good nap. :)

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 4, 2005

I used Dowd's as an inn for guests at my wedding, and couldn't have been more unsatisfied with the experience. They were rude, uncommunicative, and ended up not returning over $900 of my original deposit. Breakfast on the Connecticut and the Norwich Inn are far better options in the Upper Valley.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Six South St Hotel
Six South St Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hanover
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Breakfast on the Connecticut

Been to Dowds' Country Inn? Share your experiences!