“Would Not Recomment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dowds' Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyme
Dowds' Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
“Would Not Recomment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2006

I had almost the same experience as the review below. I had my wedding there last year and while the event itself was very happy- there were a few problems that were not addressed as people who are in the hospitality service should. Planning the event and the problems afterwards leave me with absolutely no good feelings about that place whatsoever. Some "members" of the staff we extremely unprofessional during the whole process and afterwards, they too did not return a large amount of my deposit money. It took months of correspondence to get SOME of it back. I cannot even go into detail with the problems I had. In fact, I knew before the event there would be problems but it was too late to get my deposit back.

It is a beautiful place and for the most part the staff is very nice (including the events planner- no problems with him). I am left with saddness more than anything on my memories of my wedding there.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2006

I recently stayed at the Dowd's Country Inn in Lyme, New Hampshire while interviewing at Dartmouth. I paid $85 a night, which was cheaper than the going rate for most neighboring inns.

I was one of the only two guests in the hotel, so perhaps my experience was more personalized than usual. Check-in was effortless, Ms. Dowd herself helped me carry my baggage up to my room, which was on the second floor of the house. After settling in and a short nap, I had tea in the fireplace parlor, and then I set out for the day. Upon returning my bed had been made, and the sheets turned down.

I would complain that the mattress was not in the best condition - I could feel a spring or two. The room was also pretty cold in the mornings - but perhaps this is normal for New England in the winter. However, the room was clean and charming, and the bathroom also well kept and stocked with basic amenities.

The next day I woke up and had an omelet breakfast in their dining room, which was delicious, and served to my table. I left for the morning, and my bed had again been made. After a nap, I again had tea, this time with some chocolate cake, and then set out. Again, bed had been made, and sheets turned down.

Breakfast was again lovely the next morning, and check-out a breeze. I had used the telephone to make some calls from my room, because there is no cell phone signal available in Lyme. However the charges were reasonable, only $0.25 per minute for out of area calls.

The inn is one 10 minute road away from Dartmouth College. There is not a lot to do, see, or eat in Lyme, but again, Hanover and Dartmouth College are 10 minutes away. Vermont is also just a bridge crossing away, and breakfast/tea is served everyday.

I wouldn't come here expecting luxury linens, room service, or gourmet dining. This place is nice for someone who is traveling alone, is looking for moderately priced accommodation, and some hospitality. Oh, and a good nap. :)

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2005

I used Dowd's as an inn for guests at my wedding, and couldn't have been more unsatisfied with the experience. They were rude, uncommunicative, and ended up not returning over $900 of my original deposit. Breakfast on the Connecticut and the Norwich Inn are far better options in the Upper Valley.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
The Norwich Inn
The Norwich Inn
#1 of 3 in Norwich
Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Dowds' Country Inn? Share your experiences!