Dowds' Country Inn
Hanover Inn Dartmouth(Hanover)
$269
$229
  • Restaurant
Six South St Hotel(Hanover)(Great Value!)
$169
GardenInn.com
$84
$79
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnew hampshirefamily weddingwedding receptionwonderful weddingwhite river junctionfirst floorchecking infeel like familythe captains quartersgourmet breakfaststayed here for two nightsbed and breakfastguest roomssmall towngeneral storefrench toastpancakes
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I haven't stayed at this inn but I made reservations for in laws coming from overseas next Spring and never got a reservation confirmation. I emailed them to ask for it, never got a reply (they said the innkeeper had been away for a long time but that emails were still being read...). Then I had to call and they told me, without being too sorry about it, that they room had been booked for someone else. I had given them my credit card number! Every time I had someone on the phone, I seemed to bother them, there was no one ever friendly. I will certainly NEVER recommend this inn, especially because we have so many lovely inns around here.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We had our rehearsal dinner and wedding at the Dowds', and it was lovely. The rooms and the inn are very comfortable; the indoor spaces were perfect for our reception, and many of our friends and relatives spent long hours rocking in chairs, sitting in the sun on one of the patios, or throwing the frisbee on the expansive back lawn. We held our ceremony outside on the grounds by a beautiful stone wall and perennial garden. From the start of the weekend we felt right at home; the inn lacks that too-precious-can't-really-sit-on-the-furniture feel of many inns and bed and breakfasts. All of the food exceeded our expectations, from the rehearsal dinner to the wedding to the breakfasts that are included in the room rates. The staff were open and accommodating, and because of their competence, we were able to spend most of our weekend (when we weren't actually getting married) hiking an paddling nearby rather than worrying about details of the wedding. No, this is not the Ritz, but if you want a lovely, comfortable place to stay overnight or to get married, we recommend it highly.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ERS26
Reviewed April 27, 2007

I titled the review THE PERFECT COUNTRY INN because reading all the other reviews, I can only conclude, that everybody wants The Ramada sterility WITH old world charm. Fine, stay at The Chesterfield. Just be ready to pay $650 for 2 nights.

I’ve stayed all over The White Mountains of New Hampshire for over 30 years, & Dowd’s is the very definition of The New England Country Inn.

Dowd’s is so beautiful, charming, & romantic, with original heavy wood doors, nifty little creaky winding stairways all over the place, & just he kind of setting romantic dreams are made of. The main building of the Inn was built in 1780 as a private home. The rooms are named & “themed”. We stayed in “The Captains Quarters”. It wasn’t The Ramada, but we didn’t WANT the Ramada. We wanted an authentic Country Inn. The breakfast was great. Yes, they probably could do to replace a few of their air conditioners, but hey, get a life, it’s the country remember? The grounds & even the town are soooo beautiful, it more than makes up for the “authentic 1700’s home” idiosyncrasies.

I have no clue what these reviewers are talking about with the “nasty” this & the “un-accommodating” that. These are New Hampshire people. They talk plain. Some people see that as mean. They’re not. They were very very sweet to us, & I won’t let people who saw ”The Wedding Planner” to many times trash this WONDERFUL PLACE. I just won’t. Talk to them, tell them what you need... you know... communicate, & you’ll have a great stay. With a country place you HAVE to talk with them & keep them up to date. These small beautiful old Inns can barely survive, & that’s why they require 2 nights on week-ends etc. Try & find a one night in a short tourist season inn (we have for years). Good luck. The Inn's just can’t afford it.

We spoke to them numerous times, while planning our Bed & breakfast trek across Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine, & of the four places we stayed, Dowd’s was BY FAR the best. We needed a late checkin (almost midnight). They were fine with that as long as we TOLD them we were coming & guaranteed on a card. They left the key “hidden” in the lobby & directions to our room. Someone was there anyway when we got there. We wanted a quiet room. They found us a room in a hidden nook of the Inn that was perfect.

The grounds are fantastic. I & my wife, who is a vegetarian & an organic gardener, wandered their gorgeous gardens for hours. The duck Pond, the fishes, the little stream.. We never wanted to leave. Really.

A highly rated 3 or 4 star place where we stayed the next night of our journey, which shall remain nameless, we now call “The Bates Motel”. It had lovely rooms & views, but a scary “nazi” hostess/owner who demanded (yes, demanded) that we eat ALL of her homemade pancakes AND syrup AND eggs AND MUFFINS! We were practically forced to meet AND pet (yuk) her Mini-Cow.
Jeeze, Leave us alone! We were terrified to touch anything in the rooms. We were "nearly certain" {;-\ we were being watched on "nanny-cams" It was a pristine HORRIBLE NIGHT. We escaped the next day & let them keep the money for the 2nd night.

Seems to me that these other reviews must be written by the type of complainers who are all about "the money". I’m guessing they weren’t exactly nice to the people there, OR very communicative. Hey, if you’re a money-sissy, stay at the Holiday Inn & miss out on all the charm.
Tom V. Terryville, CT

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tom V
Reviewed August 12, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Dowds' Country Inn this summer. While the Inn, grounds and gardens are pretty, breakfast was good, the comfort of the beds and ventilation ruined the whole experience.
We checked in between 9:00 and 9:30 PM and were very discourteously greeted by the clerk who informed us that we were late and that he had almost left.
Our first night there was very warm and humid. The air conditioning in our room was not cooling well at all. My whole family did not sleep well all night. I slept about one hour. The lack of a decent air conditioner in the room was not the only problem. The mattress was terrible and I can only guess cheap.

We asked to be moved the next day and were accomodated. We were placed in a larger room, which was attractive enough. The outdoor temperature had dropped and it seemed that this air conditioner worked better than the one in the room we had
stayed in the first night. However, the mattress once again was awful. Simply by placing my hand on the mattress, I could feel the springs. Every time one of us turned in bed, a noisy cascade of spring movement was set in motion, like a waterfall. Still a very bad night's sleep.

The service at breakfast was cheerful and prompt. The food was good, except the butter had a slightly off taste to it, not sure if it was not too fresh, or just the flavor. There was only one other group in the breakfast room at the time.

Cleanliness- The bathrooms were clean. It was hard to tell how clean the room itself was because the lighting was somewhat dim. Some of the upholstered furniture was dirty. Notably a chair in our room had a big stain on the seat, which looked like someone had an accident on the chair. That was unappealing, and I would expect that most hoteliers would have removed the chair from the room or reuphosletered it. Other uphosletered furniture in the lobby seemed a little dirty.

Thr grounds themnselves were attractive and the view out the window of the breakfast room of a patio and garden was nice.

We would definitely not stay here again.

4  Thank peripateticpeg
A TripAdvisor Member
NH
Reviewed May 17, 2006

I had almost the same experience as the review below. I had my wedding there last year and while the event itself was very happy- there were a few problems that were not addressed as people who are in the hospitality service should. Planning the event and the problems afterwards leave me with absolutely no good feelings about that place whatsoever. Some "members" of the staff we extremely unprofessional during the whole process and afterwards, they too did not return a large amount of my deposit money. It took months of correspondence to get SOME of it back. I cannot even go into detail with the problems I had. In fact, I knew before the event there would be problems but it was too late to get my deposit back.

It is a beautiful place and for the most part the staff is very nice (including the events planner- no problems with him). I am left with saddness more than anything on my memories of my wedding there.

• Stayed: May 2005