“Unusual Game Dishes Offered”
Review of The Hungry Buffalo

The Hungry Buffalo
Ranked #7 of 13 Restaurants in Loudon
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Pretty typical bar with a not-so-typical food menu. I had a quail dinner, spouse had a pulled wild boar sandwich. Food was decent (not much meat on quail). Looks like a place the locals cherish. It was Saturday night and a blues band was setting up. Had a table of fans behind us that wouldn't let us leave until we heard one song. OK, we heard one song....then we left. Three chords over and over, no vocals even.... wasn't doing it for us. But I have to say, if you're in the area and are curious about game meats, or are just looking for something a little different than the usual, this might fit the bill.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great pub style food with lots of interesting meats (e.g. buffalo, elk, alligator, etc.). Service was a little slow but food was very good.

1  Thank Jim E
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The owner would be well advised to stick to running a bar/beer joint and close the restaurant in favor of more pool tables. With no separation between the bar and restaurant tables, the entire place has a very strong nicotine odor. While the sign says; "Please seat yourself." that doesn't mean that anyone will acknowledge your presence. When the lone bartender/waitress finally DID notice that I was there, she took my drink order, and gave me the menu of several pages, stapled together, and promptly forgot to bring my drink. When she returned to take my order and noticed that I didn't have my drink, she noted that "it's been one of those days" a comment I found interesting since I was the ONLY diner in the building, with only 5-6 people in the bar.
My drink did arrive, with my soup, and salad AND the bartender/waitress asking me to repeat my dinner order, because she "forgot" if I wanted mashed or baked potato? When my dinner did arrive, I asked for some butter for my baked potato. My butter NEVER arrived. Food was nothing to brag about even though I had the most expensive 'Surf & Turf' meal on the menu. Bison sirloin was a little stringy, soup and salad were good.

My TIP for the bartender/waitress...
get a better memory, OR better yet, a notepad to record the order accurately the FIRST time.

My overall impression DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS PLACE!!! Maybe the locals will support it.

2  Thank MajorFun1
Reviewed August 23, 2013

stopped by here after finding it on the GPS. Place was clean service was fast and friendly. the menu includes different kinds of meat such as buffalo, alligator, ostrich and of course seafood, chicken and beef. Meal was very good.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I went in June 2013, hoping that since the review prior to our visit was from March, that perhaps the problems that were mentioned had been addressed.
Unfortunately, they have not.
There appeared to be only one waitress/bartender, who constantly ran back and forth between the dining area and the bar. While she was very upbeat and friendly, and did her best to be everywhere at once, it basically felt exactly like we had the bartender waiting on us. There were two other couples in the dining room when we arrived, all of whom had already received their meals, along with a good sized group at the bar who also appeared to have been waited on, and yet it took a full half hour for us to receive our orders - and all we'd ordered were appetizers! I can't imagine how long we'd have waited if we'd actually ordered full meals.
My husband had the Rocky Mountain Oysters, and Alligator Bites, both of which he said were good. About the time we'd finished eating and were getting ready to leave, the fries he'd ordered showed up. (By that time we'd actually forgotten he'd ordered them.)
I'd ordered the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail and a side salad. The shrimp weren't really what I'd consider jumbo, and they weren't peeled(!) - hence they also weren't cleaned. Cutting into one to check, it was obvious that they should have been. As for the sauce, it came in a cocktail glass half filled with ice that had chopped lettuce on top of it, with a spoonful of (acceptable tasting) cocktail sauce atop that. I had to request more sauce after only a couple of shrimp, as the
remainder had disappeared in amongst the chopped lettuce, and the lettuce/sauce would stick to the shrimp when I'd try to dip one. Yuck.
The side salad was uniformly chopped into unappealing 1/4 inch bits, and tasted overwhelmingly of celery, to the exclusion of whatever else was chopped in with it. My husband ended up eating it, as it turns out I'm not a fan of celery salad - especially when I had to forgo a dressing, as the waitress didn't know if they were gluten free or not.
Also, about 30 minutes in, someone in the bar started up the jukebox, and suddenly we were assaulted by the blaring of steel guitars and unintelligible shrieking that persisted for the remainder of our meal. Just what one wants when going out to dinner on a Sunday night.
I'd really hoped to like this place but, despite the clean interior and (VERY) hard working waitress, it just ended up feeling kind of low class and desperate. Overall, just an unpleasant visit, that WON'T be repeated. Almost anywhere around town would have been more enjoyable than here.
Hopefully the owners will take serious measures in the very near future to rectify this restaurant's shortcomings, or I can't imagine it being around for much longer. While it does have potential, it needs help. They need to decide if it's a bar or a restaurant, or else separate the two; there needs to be real wait staff; and they seriously need to address the ridiculously long time it takes to serve the meals. They also need to aim for a more professional feeling atmosphere, and one that's not making you wonder that, if they're being so stingy with their staff, what shortcuts are they taking in the kitchen.
After all, there are only so many first time customers - and not many of them are likely to be second time customers the way this place is being run right now.
I do wish them well, but hope that they take these reviews very seriously. If they want to be here next year, they need to start making changes this now.

2  Thank RaySW_13

Been to The Hungry Buffalo? Share your experiences!