“Great mead, good tour”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great mead, good tour”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had no idea this place existed until I saw an offer on Groupon for a tour and tasting. I went with a friend and spent about an hour there We had a tour (given on the half hour on weekends; the meadery opens at 11am), where our guide explained a little about the history of mead and then showed us how mead was made. I would have liked to have heard a lot more factual details about the use and importance of mead over the millenia, instead of the generalities our guide told us. The part of the tour where the process of making and bottling mead was explained was very interesting, though. We then went back to the main entrance area where we were able to taste eight varieties of mead. I had no idea it was possible to make so many different kinds! Our guide described each one; we could select from all the varieties on offer--they were lined up on the counter behind he bar. I liked all the ones I tasted and I took advantage of the cheese and crackers available to cleanse my palate between tasting the different kinds of mead. My friend and I probably spent about half an hour doing the tasting. We each bought a bottle of mead and, to my pleasant surprise, were also given a wine glass when we paid. All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a weekend afternoon.

Visited September 2012