“Great place to stay in Littleton”
Review of The Beal House

The Beal House
Ranked #2 of 4 Littleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Ignore the whiners. The Beal House was built in 1833. If you like architecture, history and culture of our Nation's small towns, this is a great place to park yourself for a stay in Littleton. It's at the south end of town, so it's a nice first stop to unload and unwind as you roll in. Bill and his staff are superbly hospitable, the restaurant food and service are first-rate, and the rooms are tastefully done to keep the feel of the place original and quaint. Yes, the floor creaks but that's exactly part of the charm - there's some 100+ year-old wood underfoot! Despite being along the main road, rooms are quiet (locals don't motor through town like Washingtonians). Stay here and you'll be rewarded with America small town culture.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was simply shocked at how awful this place was from the moment we pulled up. There was no one ever at the "front desk", we got locked out of our room because the keys didn't work and had to wander around until some one from the restaurant next door was able to help us. We stayed in the Blue room. The bathroom door in the room wouldn't close, which makes for an awkward night with a significant other. The bath tub had chipped vinyl and tile every where and didn't drain so I had to shower while standing in the dirty water from the previous person. We were never given bath towels and so had to attempt to dry off with hand towels. The room was sweltering hot at night, so much so that even with the window wide open in the middle of winter I was sweating all night. The wifi did not work and we ended up poaching off of someone else's service. The TV's are small and not even placed facing in way which is easy to view. The continental breakfast was the worst I've ever seen, you really can't even call it that. If I had been able to find the Inn keeper before we checked out, I would have demanded a refund. As it is, we just wanted to get the hell out of there. The restaurant folks were friendly and kind, but I feel bad for them that they are associated with the inn. We specifically didn't eat there because we didn't want to spend one minute longer in that place than we had too.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kavery2014
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Recently the Inn I work and reside at, had a main sprinkler water pipe in the attic burst. The amount of damage this caused to guest rooms, my room and the on sight restaurant has still not been determined. Thanks to Bill the innkeeper at Beal House Inn, I have had a roof over my head along with my faithful furry companions for the past week.
I would recommend the Beal House to anyone traveling in the area. Being in the hospitality field, I am more than happy to give a 5 star rating to Bill and his staff. They have made me feel welcome and have assisted me if I needed anything throughout my stay.
Kudos to Bill and his staff, I appreciate your fine hospitality!!!

Room Tip: The Rose Chamber.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Laurie R
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had a bad feeling before we arrived as the innkeeper had not replied to emails or voicemails. We would have cancelled if it were not for the 100% cancellation charges in the Fall season. The pictures do not reveal that the inn is on a busy road.
When we arrived the innkeeper could not produce a room key or fix the wifi until 11pm. The wifi was unstable all our 2 night stay. The bedroom in the Mrs Beal Suite was cramped and dingy. Dinner in the restaurant was nice, except my wife was violently ill that night and for the remainder of our stay. Self-serve "breakfast" was like in the worst/cheapest motels. The bread in the bread-bin was mouldy. This establishment is a "restaurant with rooms available", not a B&B or inn in the traditional New England sense. The innkeeper is holed up in his kitchen, not to be disturbed or is off site. The staff are there to wait tables at dinner and are not empowered (or interested) to resolve issues on the B&B side. At least the room maid was kind to my sick wife in the morning. Overall a truly awful experience and the low point of an otherwise great trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FiiBee-H79
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed in the Mrs. Beal suite with my in-laws on a road trip through New England. The parents loved the large comfy bed, we all thought the bath was charming and since we were on a road trip it was nice to have a living area to relax in. My husband and I slept on the pull out couch but I think the sheets had been on there for quite a while. Sheets should never be stored on a sofa couch. After searching we did find a half set of clean sheets in the closet under the stair (we weren't sure if that little door opened into our room) and thus we had to wake up the inn-keeper for clean sheets. But everything else seemed clean enough. Since we have allergies and were on a road trip we brought our own breakfast so I can't speak to that (although it seemed like a European continental style), but I will say it was nice to have access to it for hot drinks at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I normally don’t do reviews. However, I couldn’t let our experience go unheeded.
The Inn was very quaint and old. We stayed in Mrs. Beal’s suite which had a four post canopy bed, a separate room for reading with an adequate TV. The restaurant was charming and what we had to eat was very good. Restaurant service was excellent.

On the negative,

Mrs. Beal forgot that we were coming. Bathrobes, as advertised, were missing.

– Mrs. Beal doesn’t do dirty windows!

– Mrs. Beal needs to take Continental Breakfast Course 101

Sugar container for our coffee was empty. Milk for our cereal was less than one quarter full and the plain and doughy bagels were frozen and yucky! We had to suck our morning juice through a straw.
More importantly, Mrs. Beal does not believe in providing service when service is required. She and her staff were knowhere to be found.

In conclusion, it appears that the Inn is very self maintained and the guests are definitely on their own. And oh, if you want a continental breakfast, bring your own!

Mrs. BEAL - NO DEAL!

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and sunnier
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moe L
Reviewed September 23, 2013

First, let me say that my wife made the reservations. I don't think Mrs. Beal's Suite would have been my choice, nor the Inn for that matter. The sitting room was nice but the website pictures of the actual bedroom are deceiving. The bed is nice [if you like the 4-post canopy sort of thing], comfortable, but it took up most of the space. There was barely enough room to walk around it. there were no bed tables, nor could the promised bathrobes [which I learned about just now, reviewing the website] be found. There was no soap either, and when the manager apologetically provided it he mentioned they were going for a 'green certification'– liquid soap only. I came in stiff plastic bottles that had to be shaken, hard, to glean any soap. There was no place for hanging clothes except for the odd, small, hinged box on the door [picture].
We didn't 'dine' at the Inn but did take the included 'continental' breakfast which is among the worst I've had. It consisted of coffee/tea, juice boxes, fruit, cereals, and English muffins – not really properly presented or replenished, forcing patrons to forage for themselves in the refrigerator. [The management stated they want to make you feel like you're part of the family...] There was a single-serve coffee maker, microwave and one small toaster – the slowest in the NorthEast. And, after waiting 5 minutes one was forced to fetch the hiding, barely toasted muffin halves with any metal object that came to hand.
This review and my experience with the Inn is based on only 2 days in two rooms. To its credit, the old house has nice ambiance and the staff is eager to please but I think The Beal House Inn falls short on value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple