“Some great elements with some flaws.”
Review of Tim-Bir Alley

Tim-Bir Alley
Ranked #4 of 43 Restaurants in Littleton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Dinner with a large group of serious opinions. In general, we liked the meal and found it head and shoulders above the local New Hampshire restaurants/hotel fare, but below our expectations from the reviews. Some of the elements provided were extraordinary and we were flabbergasted at some major problems. The mushroom & corn soup was good but served tepid without a garnish; the eggplant confit was delicious and completely overpowered by the pickled pepper melange served alongside it.

This petit restaurant does not share their menu online, explaining that they depend on 'what is available weekly and locally' but that provides little opportunity for the diners to prepare. I wished they would at least provide an example menu to demonstrate the style of cooking.

Five entree options were available; I tasted four chosen by our group and disliked three of the main courses. Having said that, each entree was surrounded on the plate by SEVEN delicious and amazing vegetables- from brussel sprouts in a balsamic reduction to kale souffle to eggplant puree to a delicious potato melange, roasted beets, green beans, and a baked carrot- all wonderful and far better than the fish or meat dishes I tasted. As for the entrees, each of the three I tasted were flawed in some way, either overseasoned (salmon), bland and tough (lamb), or lacking good flavor (swordfish, which was decisively fishy and tasted mostly of panko crusting and almond). The outer rim of every entree plate was doused in diced parsley in an artistic fashion that I didn't care for.

The desserts are overly complex. For fresh, local ingredients I'd rather experience some simpler dishes cooked perfectly instead of complex, multifaceted dishes that fall short of the mark. The truffles, for example can do an excellent job if cut down to a simple, uncomplicated dish.

I called in advance to request if we might bring a rare bottle of wine to mark a special occasion, and of course, offered to pay a corkage fee. The host refused, citing their liquor license. Upon our arrival, we reviewed the list carefully and felt the wine list is lacking wines with finesse. While the wines offered stay within the low end of the budget, they are all grocery-store wines so plan accordingly- something will no doubt pair with your meal, but it's unlikely to find a refined wine with great structure that can pair with several entrees, so your group may decide upon wines by the glass.

It's worth noting that this is indeed the finest cuisine we found in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire and was priced equally to meals in hotel. Bottom line? I'd go back.

2  Thank YaleDad

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I went here with my girlfriend and her family, they have a cottage nearby and have been coming here for 20 years. They are foodies and this is handsdown their favourite restaurant. Every appetizer and main course was amazing. I ordered the steak and it was incredible. It came with an amazing glaze, I don't remember what it was but it was to die for.
The food is immaculately done and no matter what main dish you order, the plate is garnished with all sorts of wonderful additions. I am definitely planning on coming back! And the price is very reasonable for the quality of the food.

1  Thank 8Chapel
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is exceptional -- fine dining in the north country that is fully worth the price ! The ingredients are utterly fresh, the preparations are innovative, as are the presentations. Plus: the service is friendly and hospitable, and the atmosphere is quiet.

Few such places exist in the north country of New Hampshire or Vermont -- and if near Littleton, New Hampshire, it is well worth calling ahead for a reservation, and planning on a great experience in dining !

1  Thank triptraveller
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Despite having to push our reservations twice due to perpetual traffic jams getting to NH that night, we were seated the moment we got there (late) as there were only two other parties still eating. We ordered the vegetarian pate; it was three layers of fresh and tasty flavors. I had the tenderloin, my boyfriend had the lamb, and both were cooked to order. Each entre had numerous vegetables with the meat: asparagus, Brussels sprouts, squash, potatoes au gratin, and a few I could not identify. It reminded me of piling every side dish on your plate at Thanksgiving until there is no room left, except these side dishes were gourmet. We were too full for dessert but were served two delicious handmade truffles with the check that we somehow made room for! Prices were about the same as Bailiwicks; the only difference is that this place only takes cash.

Having read many reviews, both favorable and not, as well as hearing the opinion of a local before we headed over, I think the owners must keep a close eye and ear on negative feedback and correct it right away as no criticism I read or heard was encountered that night, save the sheer variety on one entre plate.

1  Thank Staubenf
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had dinner here in July. Very nice, somewhat creative, mostly American cuisine. Very personal service from the owner, whose husband is the chef. We especially appreciated the fact that although the restaurant was pretty full, it was surprisingly quiet.

2  Thank Sarah A